CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Voided Warranty?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2786865-voided-warranty.html)

drjay9051 03-01-2011 01:39 PM

Voided Warranty??

Looking for my first Vette. Just read a thread in the for sale section: Seller had some mods done and he needed new engine. Per post: GM stated he voided warranty by doing mods. I believe the Moss Magnuson Act protects against this. The dealer must show that the warranty issue was a result of the mod. Anybody have more info on this? I do not think your warranty is voided by things such as a tune, CAI or headers. Am I correct. hey dont even have my Vette yet and Im worried.

Uncle Meat 03-01-2011 02:04 PM

You are correct... however the real questions is do you have the money and time to waste going to court to prove you're right and GM's wrong as to whether the mod caused the failure or not?

That's the real question.

U.M.

Top_Fuel 03-01-2011 02:07 PM

Just a fair warning before the mob assembles... :D

Asking about modifications voiding your warranty = :beatdeadhorse:

Search this forum for the word "tune" or "voided" and you will be reading opinions and advice on this topic for several hours... :yesnod:

Here was one of the more recent discussions...
Do you get blacklisted at the dealer because of modifications?

eboggs_jkvl 03-01-2011 02:07 PM

Tune is a voided warranty.

Elmer

not08crmanymore 03-01-2011 02:15 PM

Here's my view.You f***d with it so why should GM pay if it breaks?Pretty simple really.Now i'm not talking about putting a blower on a car and then the power window switch breaks.That's a little extreme and should be covered.I'm saying putting a blower on the car and then the motor goes and one expects GM to pay for that.Not cool.:nono:However,a minor mod like headers or a diablo tune,well that shouldn't break anything and if it does it was probably defective to begin with because that's not alot of added power there.

haljensen 03-01-2011 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by 08crm (Post 1576930891)
Here's my view.You f***d with it so why should GM pay if it breaks?Pretty simple really.Now i'm not talking about putting a blower on a car and then the power window switch breaks.That's a little extreme and should be covered.I'm saying putting a blower on the car and then the motor goes and one expects GM to pay for that.Not cool.:nono:However,a minor mod like headers or a diablo tune,well that shouldn't break anything and if it does it was probably defective to begin with because that's not alot of added power there.

GM Warranty covers their parts and installation, why should they cover an aftermarket part and installations effects?

The tune is a good example, GM tunes for longevity and fuel economy and Warranties their tune and it's results. GM doesn't control Diablo tunes or any backyard idiot with access to the ECM. Why should they warranty the results of the aftermarket tune?

breecher_7 03-01-2011 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl (Post 1576930806)
Tune is a voided warranty.

Elmer

And thats the bottom line! :thumbs:

need-for-speed 03-01-2011 07:11 PM

I agree that a CAI or headers should not void the warranty. However, you can't blame GM for voiding a warranty for a tune. A tune done by some one who knows what they are doing = no problem and improved performance. However, if done wrong, too much spark advance could = detonation, which is very bad; too lean of a mixture could = a hole in your piston which is velly velly bad.

Max EPR 03-01-2011 07:20 PM

If you don't like GM warranty practice then purchase a car out of warranty.:flag:

drjay9051 03-01-2011 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Max EPR (Post 1576933521)
If you don't like GM warranty practice then purchase a car out of warranty.:flag:

I agree. Just trying to edumacate myself

laconiajack 03-01-2011 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by haljensen (Post 1576933234)
GM Warranty covers their parts and installation, why should they cover an aftermarket part and installations effects?

The tune is a good example, GM tunes for longevity and fuel economy and Warranties their tune and it's results. GM doesn't control Diablo tunes or any backyard idiot with access to the ECM. Why should they warranty the results of the aftermarket tune?

:iagree: GM also tunes for low emissions and for long life of the catalytic mufflers in order to comply with federal and state laws. The dealer isn't the one who warranties the car, GM does. If you think GM can't and won't defend themselves from people who stupidly have their engine and/or transmission settings reprogramed, you are wrong.

DPC57 05-31-2019 08:58 AM

Not recent, but first hand. I had GMPP refuse a warranty claim on the engine of my Firebird ~2002 because the car had aftermarket brakes and suspension. It wasn't worth what it would have cost me to take them to court.

JABCAT 06-01-2019 12:41 AM

Had the engine in my ‘99 WS6 TransAm replaced under warranty due to well-known oil consumption issue. Car had full bolt-ons & I needed to get the AZ Attorney General involved but they replaced the engine. They have to prove your modifications caused the failure, you don’t have to prove it didn’t.

919cw313 06-01-2019 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by DPC57 (Post 1599498366)
Not recent, but first hand. I had GMPP refuse a warranty claim on the engine of my Firebird ~2002 because the car had aftermarket brakes and suspension. It wasn't worth what it would have cost me to take them to court.

20+ year old car, 8 year old thread. Why not throw in your two cents?

captain vette 06-01-2019 07:24 AM

What C6 can you own with a GM factory warranty?

FortMorganAl 06-01-2019 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by captain vette (Post 1599504107)
What C6 can you own with a GM factory warranty?

Pretty much all of them when the thread was current. Only confusing to people who can't be bothered reading what others have said before giving us their opinion..

captain vette 06-01-2019 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl (Post 1599504278)
Pretty much all of them when the thread was current. Only confusing to people who can't be bothered reading what others have said before giving us their opinion..

I was confused cuz the must recent C6 you can buy today is over 6 years old

Ron'sGS 06-02-2019 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by captain vette (Post 1599504560)
I was confused cuz the must recent C6 you can buy today is over 6 years old

Thats because someone resurrected an 8yr old thread..........:crazy2:

buckmeister2 06-02-2019 11:08 PM

A perfect example of the tremendous work our Congress is doing, and how well they protect us....

FortMorganAl 06-03-2019 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by buckmeister2 (Post 1599513379)
A perfect example of the tremendous work our Congress is doing, and how well they protect us....

Congress needs to pass laws about posting to old settled threads? A perfect example of... Never mind.: leaving: