CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   0-60 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2791404-0-60-a.html)

86redcorvette 03-08-2011 08:48 AM

0-60

Looking online I see the 86 w/iron heads had a 0-60 time of 5.7/5.8 seconds. Not bad. I have rebuilt this car to the tune of 20,000 dollars. It's California stock automatic with the k&n filter...Flowmaster 40's and advanced 12-degrees in timing. Were these times with a limited amount of gas for weight. When set to factory timing the car would just take off. You could not burn rubber by just nailing it. Now with the car 12 degrees advanced it will burn rubber and fishtail for about 2-seconds. 0-60 with a full tank of gas and me weighing in at 250 pounds gives the car a 0-60 time of 7-seconds. I'm thinking because the tires are spinning is where I'm losing time. I don't know. I've never really raced. Should I just give the car enough gas to get it off the line and then floor it? or, maybe I should set the timing back to factory specs and try again.....or maybe I should stop eating so much. The tires are fairly new BF Goodrich.
Thank you for your input.

corvetteronw 03-08-2011 09:46 AM

??????????:troll??????????????

kimmer 03-08-2011 10:04 AM

Well yeah, spinning tires = more time. My o-60 time ranges from 4.9-5.1.

dogfish246 03-08-2011 02:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_PeIJFYEzc

socalman 03-08-2011 02:48 PM

Forget all that! I wanna talk about you spening $20k rebuilding a L98 car. What did you do?

dukeallen 03-08-2011 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by socalman (Post 1576998379)
Forget all that! I wanna talk about you spening $20k rebuilding a L98 car. What did you do?

Gold plated leather seat covers.

86redcorvette 03-08-2011 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by dukeallen (Post 1576998587)
Gold plated leather seat covers.

Well...........I did not want to admit it but, I spent 7,000 thousand on the "bucket of bolts" to start with. Spending the other 13,000 was not hard when you're having the work done. I'm not going to provide you a list. Sadly, I'm still not finished yet! The cigarette lighter has a short which blows out the radio fuse. The previous owner had the instrument cluster fixed/rebuilt whatever I don't know but he did not re-install it right because I've got this terrible rattle noise coming from behind the instrument cluster. The antenna will not go down either. Like I said, I bought a paint job. It's a rather nice paint job but it's 6 years old. I looked and looked for a nice corvette and lost 2 because I had to keep going back to the hospital. Last year was a very bad year for me health wise. I should have never bought this car. I should have got a C-5. Only If I could have waited but.....I had CORVETTE FEVER!

Larry/car 03-08-2011 03:37 PM

The best results are to have the tires at the max limit without spinning. Remember if you brake tire traction by over powering, the car's rear end will move to the left. Be careful.

86redcorvette 03-08-2011 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Larry/car (Post 1576998806)
The best results are to have the tires at the max limit without spinning. Remember if you brake tire traction by over powering, the car's rear end will move to the left. Be careful.

Mine moves to the right.

ejscarfo 03-10-2011 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 86redcorvette (Post 1576995146)
Looking online I see the 86 w/iron heads had a 0-60 time of 5.7/5.8 seconds. Not bad. I have rebuilt this car to the tune of 20,000 dollars. It's California stock automatic with the k&n filter...Flowmaster 40's and advanced 12-degrees in timing. Were these times with a limited amount of gas for weight. When set to factory timing the car would just take off. You could not burn rubber by just nailing it. Now with the car 12 degrees advanced it will burn rubber and fishtail for about 2-seconds. 0-60 with a full tank of gas and me weighing in at 250 pounds gives the car a 0-60 time of 7-seconds. I'm thinking because the tires are spinning is where I'm losing time. I don't know. I've never really raced. Should I just give the car enough gas to get it off the line and then floor it? or, maybe I should set the timing back to factory specs and try again.....or maybe I should stop eating so much. The tires are fairly new BF Goodrich.
Thank you for your input.

With a half of a tank of gas, timing set to spec and me weighing in at 150 lbs., my tired 85 will do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds.....that's with "warm" oil and a "cold" engine, the throttle down about 2/3 of the way off the line to minimize tire spin. Different circumstances change the time.

86redcorvette 03-10-2011 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ejscarfo (Post 1577016859)
With a half of a tank of gas, timing set to spec and me weighing in at 150 lbs., my tired 85 will do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds.....that's with "warm" oil and a "cold" engine, the throttle down about 2/3 of the way off the line to minimize tire spin. Different circumstances change the time.

Ah.....good response, thank-you. My engine only has about 5,000 miles on it. I could be wrong on the time using my phones stopwatch (I'm not a multi-tasker). Maybe the posted online times are with an almost empty tank then. The problem really is wheel spin. I think I'll set the timing back to factory or, just above. At factory though the car would not spin the wheels at all it just took off when floored. I was thinking a corvette should burn the rubber and maybe it should and if it should at factory settings I have to wonder why it won't (because I'm to heavy maybe) but I liked it better I think when it didn't burn the rubber and just grabbed the road on take-off.

86redcorvette 03-10-2011 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by ejscarfo (Post 1577016859)

Question: My photo's show up if you click on "view photos" but they removed my photo from my log-in name saying I have to "register the photo"......I tried but don't really know what they're asking me to do. There was a drop down list with a bunch of choices. I guess I picked the wrong one a couple times now as they keep removing the photo.

What do I do?

ejscarfo 03-10-2011 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 86redcorvette (Post 1577017105)
Question: My photo's show up if you click on "view photos" but they removed my photo from my log-in name saying I have to "register the photo"......I tried but don't really know what they're asking me to do. There was a drop down list with a bunch of choices. I guess I picked the wrong one a couple times now as they keep removing the photo.

What do I do?

Hmmmm.....haven't played with it all that much so I don't really know...perhaps someone else here can assist?