CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   1961 Wiper Coordinator question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2791634-1961-wiper-coordinator-question.html)

Frankie the Fink 03-08-2011 03:56 PM

1961 Wiper Coordinator question

1 Attachment(s)
I'm installing my wiper coordinator just restored by Tom Maxwell.
Can anybody tell me (who has a properly operating coordinator) if the little 1/2 circle clamp that holds the metal shaft of the coordinator 'locks' it in place. When tightened completely down the shaft of the coordinator is still loose. I don't remember it being that way from before the restoration.

mike coletta 03-08-2011 04:05 PM

Frank,
It is supposed to stay loose. When the vacuum is applied to the coordinator via the washer button, it will push the wipers to on for about 4 strokes. It needs to be able to slide in order to turn the wipers on from the switch. As I told you in your ad to buy one, the only thing that the coordinator does is turn the wiper motor on while vacuum is applied to the washer head. You can operate the wiper motor normally with a non functioning coordinator.

Mike

Frankie the Fink 03-08-2011 04:42 PM

Duh! Yeah I should have studied it some more before posting....

I DO know the wipers work with a dead coordinator - that's the way I was running them
for the last couple of months... HOPEFULLY, the whole system (washers & wipers) work now as EVERYthing has been rebuilt by either me or Tom...

Frankie the Fink 03-08-2011 05:33 PM

Everything is installed and wipers/washers now work just like they did in 1961...which means pretty piss poor...:crazy:

Jackfit 03-08-2011 06:29 PM

I never noticed

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1576999935)
Everything is installed and wipers/washers now work just like they did in 1961...which means pretty piss poor...:crazy:

When I was 22 and bought my first corvette, 1961, in 1969 , I thought they worked great. But then again, I thought the car had a great ride.

It must have been our younger bodies and butts.

Fortunately or unfortunately, it caught fire in 1969 and I never got to replacing many parts. Lucky me.

Jack

Pilot Dan 03-08-2011 08:59 PM

It's great to know the washers work, my problem is I hate to use them because all the *&^% that comes off ends up on my nicely waxed paint. Can't win for loosin.......:willy: :smash:

Frankie the Fink 03-08-2011 09:04 PM

Of course, you know to use RainX - the funky C1 washers and wipers are only worth operating for entertainment value and bragging rights...

narlee 03-08-2011 10:10 PM

My wife and I always crack up laughing whenever we have to use the wipers.

wmf62 03-09-2011 04:09 AM

the last straw for me was when the wipers started wiping the hood instead of the windshield...
Bill

Frankie the Fink 03-09-2011 08:24 AM

Actually - once you've screwed around with these systems...most problems are pretty easily fixed NOT including wiper transmission or windshield washer pump rebuilds.

Those are an exercise in patience and medieval masochism...

Steve59 03-09-2011 08:32 AM

Frank:
Been toying with the idea of having my entire system done by Tom Maxwell. All of the parts are old and dead except I do have a new tank. What parts did he rebuild? Did you have the switch rebuilt? How long did it take and what's the cost?
Thanks
Steve

Frankie the Fink 03-09-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Steve59 (Post 1577005164)
Frank:
Been toying with the idea of having my entire system done by Tom Maxwell. All of the parts are old and dead except I do have a new tank. What parts did he rebuild? Did you have the switch rebuilt? How long did it take and what's the cost?
Thanks
Steve

Tom does most anything with these systems.
To repair the coordinator was about $70...he rebuilt my washer pump but I'd have to find the receipt. I would assume he rebuilds the washer motors and transmissions but can't swear to it. I did my own transmission using restored units from a swap meet. My wiper motor was restored by this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/58-62-CORVETTE-WIPER-MOTOR-RESTORATION-RESTORE-SERVICE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb1b746dfQQ itemZ200550074079QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTr uckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

which included restoring the external finish for $199.

All told the price was probably comparable to the price of an aftermarket wiper arrangement...and most of those don't include a washer system.

I never had the switch rebuilt and I run with a repro vacuum can that came with the vacuum valve already installed on top.

Frankly Steve - if the other parts of my car weren't so original and correct I'd have bolted in a RainGear or some other system and be done with it.

Steve59 03-09-2011 09:02 AM

Frank:

I'm not particularly married to the idea of having this system in "working" order since, from what I've read, at it's best, it's still bad. What I would really like to do is to keep everything "stock" looking, yet have some kind of electrically operated pump in the reservoir that is operated by the push button in the switch. Do you know of anyone that makes that kind of retrofit?

Frankie the Fink 03-09-2011 09:16 AM

I did look at some electrically operated, submersible washer pumps a year or so ago. My thought was to stick it in the water tank and run the wiring, invisibly, through a vacuum hose to the dash switch which I would convert to an electrical switch. Nobody I could find made such an arrangement so I would be on my own cobbling something together. In the end I gave it up as it seemed to be as much trouble as fixing the original stuff.

I'll bet if somebody did come up with a 'plug and play', invisible, conversion there would sure be a market for it!

Steve59 03-09-2011 09:25 AM

Thanks Frank appreciate the info. Will probably go the rebuild route.

INMYBLOOD 03-09-2011 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1577005497)
I did look at some electrically operated, submersible washer pumps a year or so ago. My thought was to stick it in the water tank and run the wiring, invisibly, through a vacuum hose to the dash switch which I would convert to an electrical switch. Nobody I could find made such an arrangement so I would be on my own cobbling something together. In the end I gave it up as it seemed to be as much trouble as fixing the original stuff.

I'll bet if somebody did come up with a 'plug and play', invisible, conversion there would sure be a market for it!

I just put in the SPW wiper kit and the switch is capable of working washers, which my car did not have anyway. I don't see why you could not use it just like you said. Not sure if when depressed it runs the wipers, or weather you'd have to turn them on and push the washer when you wanted. I have not run the car and still have a lot of the dash apart still. My plan is to clean up the original wiper motor and re-install it. I could even install the cable but would have the switch just tucked up under the dash. No one would know the difference, that is until I actually use them.... :lol:

abe g 03-09-2011 12:08 PM

auxilary windsheild wiper washer motor.

All parts retailers carry a add on electric washer pump that install as add on existing wirepng. You use the switch button as previous for "squirt" operation. JC Whitney and others, been around for last 25 years, (*** now chinese) sold for about $10 dollars. hope this helps someone. Regards, Abe G

vette61 03-09-2011 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1577002112)
Of course, you know to use RainX - the funky C1 washers and wipers are only worth operating for entertainment value and bragging rights...

It could be worse, remember the old VACUUM operated wipers on some of the pre 55 Chevy's? Step on the gas and they stop in mid stride. Makes us appreciate the electric ones.

Frankie the Fink 03-09-2011 01:54 PM

YES! Vacuum operated wipers on my '55 Buick and they 'stalled' when you hit the gas...JUST when you need them most! Also had a gas pedal operated starter which would sometimes mysteriously start the car by itself...I thought it was haunted!

vettefred 03-09-2011 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by narlee (Post 1577002818)
My wife and I always crack up laughing whenever we have to use the wipers.

C-1 wipers are only there to pass state inspection. They were never designed to really clear the windshield. :willy: