CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   spare tire rim question? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2791978-spare-tire-rim-question.html)

LT1driver 03-09-2011 12:12 AM

spare tire rim question?

any other spare tire rims fit the c5 besides the GTO?? I want one for long trips so if tire blown not at mercy of middle of nowhere tire companies. thanks.

striper 03-09-2011 02:05 AM

Whenever someone posts this idea, I ask the same question to which I've never gotten an answer. So you get a flat and you pull out the spare you're carrying I don't know where, plus the jack you've been also carrying. You put the spare tire on and the car is barely missing the ground because of the difference in diameters, but at least you now have four round tires again. You put the jack back in the trunk. Okay, now for the BIG question, where do you put the flat tire? On the roof? Or in the passenger seat? I hope you were traveling alone!

o2bnkc 03-09-2011 02:15 AM

I would assume he would put it where the spare was? Let me know if I'm missing something here.

Mr.Bill 03-09-2011 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by outwest nv. (Post 1577004283)
I would assume he would put it where the spare was? Let me know if I'm missing something here.

I agree....

HawnHog 03-09-2011 02:39 AM

On a side note:
As you can imagine there are no long trips in Hawaii. So no need to carry a "spare". However I've been meaning to get me a spare rim/tire to keep in the garage. If I get a flat I can call the old lady to bring the spare and a jack. Although I have AAA you can forget them as they will NOT "plug" a tire - libility concerns.

jrose7004 03-09-2011 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by outwest nv. (Post 1577004283)

I think his point is that the tire you took off is a lot bigger that the donut spare you took. If your car was packed with luggage where would the big tire go?

dougbfresh 03-09-2011 09:51 AM

Well, this does seem like a silly idea-maybe that's why most of the Vettes come with runflats. Even my last C3, with same tirers on all 4 wheels and the spare under the car was a PIA. Ever try to get the old WIDER flat tire in that carrier and back under the car??

Imagine one of these lowered cars trying to change a tire on the side of the road-would be quite amusing to watch.

Rent something with a trunk and a spare tire for your trip!

Bimmervet 03-09-2011 11:59 AM

One of my fellow club members has a 2002 Mallett Coupe. He bought the car new and ordered it with the optional spare. It is the full size and it sits right in the middle of his trunk space. He has room to stuff soft luggage bags all around and in it. He also has a large garbage bag to put the flat tire in if he would ever have to change a flat. 9 years so far and he has never had a flat.