CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Dumb Question - Economy Mode (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2792807-dumb-question-economy-mode.html)

IDSRVIT 03-10-2011 10:28 AM

Dumb Question - Economy Mode

Don't know so I'll ask.... do the LS3 engines have the economy mode feature where it switches from 8 cyl to 4 cyl on the highway when cruising along and the engine is not being taxed?

I don't think so but thought I should check before I get into an argument with a friend of mine.

Thanks

pettvette 03-10-2011 10:33 AM

No... that would be your right foot...

peter pan 03-10-2011 10:35 AM

No and think the lord for this as they all ready are economy cars until you hammer the go pedal:rock::woohoo:

IDSRVIT 03-10-2011 10:44 AM

Thanks, that's what I thought but wanted to be sure.

His argument by the way is the only reasons vettes get decent fuel milage on the hwy is they have the economy mode feature and I told him I'm pretty sure they do not but now you've given me the info needed to become a little more firm on that statement since he's still being an ass.

I pissed him off in a general conversation because he was touting in a group session how hybrids were supreme to all, so I calmly out of the blue said based on mpg/hp vettes are more fuel efficient than his prius and that didn't sit well with him, and thus started his ranting. Not sure if my statement is truly accurate or even correct but it sure is fun to get him all riled up. :thumbs:

tjl5709 03-10-2011 10:50 AM

Also post the question on how long do those toxic batteries last, how are they disposed of, and what does it cost to replace them.

TheCeleryStalker 03-10-2011 10:53 AM

Don't forget to ask about the carbon foot print for the manufacturing process involved with Prius batteries!

v8capt 03-10-2011 11:07 AM

Corvette isn't an econmy car, thank God.
Capt Bob

Wayne O 03-10-2011 11:16 AM

As mentioned, there is no displacement on demand.

There is, however, an optional economy feature you can purchase. It's a small wood block you tape under the gas pedal. ;)

KenHorse 03-10-2011 11:16 AM

I'd tell 'em that Vettes don't have to drag along a whole lot of ugly, like his Prius does..

cclive 03-10-2011 11:22 AM

Not a dumb question as the Displacement on Demand feature is part of some GM engines that are based on the LS engine. They just haven't done it on the Corvette engine......yet...:thumbs:

IDSRVIT 03-10-2011 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1577016696)
Not a dumb question as the Displacement on Demand feature is part of some GM engines that are based on the LS engine. They just haven't done it on the Corvette engine......yet...:thumbs:

Our 2007 Suburban has it but unfortunately it's causing the engine to have the dreaded excessive oil consumption issue (Tech Bulletin# 01-06-01-011F) prone to 2006/2007 4.8L or 5.3L engines where the oil rings gum up due to the displacement on demand feature and causes the engine to use 1 qt of oil every 800-1K miles. Huge fight with GM on that right now from various owners.

So glad the vette doesn't have this feature.

Red Rochester 03-10-2011 11:41 AM

It's not worth it you have to get out of the car and remove 4-plug wires. Then do it all over again.

skierjp 03-10-2011 11:45 AM

Ask him where the electric is coming from to plug in his Prius? Ummm the power station down the road with the large smoke stacks.

Mark VerMurlen 03-10-2011 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by IDSRVIT (Post 1577016327)
... I calmly out of the blue said based on mpg/hp vettes are more fuel efficient than his prius and that didn't sit well with him, and thus started his ranting. Not sure if my statement is truly accurate or even correct but it sure is fun to get him all riled up. :thumbs:

MPG/HP is a weird way to argue efficiency. I don't know any way to prove that in the real world. In a lab, you'd have to run the drive trains at equal HP outputs to really be able to compare. I have a Camry Hybrid as my daily driver and a 2009 coupe as my "fun" car. There's no situation that I've found where my Corvette gets better gas mileage than the Camry. On highway driving the Camry gets me 36 mpg and the Corvette gets me 28 mpg. In the city driving to work and back, the Camry gets me 34 mpg and the Corvette 16 mpg. Hybrids work very well in city traffic because they can recapture the energy from braking that gets wasted as heat on regular cars.

In my opinion, its all about using the "right tool for the job". For general commuting, I want high efficiency and there's little place for having any fun in city traffic. When I drive my Corvette, its for the fun of it and I don't care much about its general efficiency. Sure its great that it gets relatively good mileage, but its not the reason that I bought the car.

- Mark

C7Joy 03-10-2011 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by peter pan (Post 1577016219)
No and think the lord for this as they all ready are economy cars until you hammer the go pedal:rock::woohoo:

:iagree: 4 sure!!!

cclive 03-10-2011 12:15 PM

Top Gear did a test that came close to that situation. They had a Prius go around the track as fast as it could, then had a 3 series BMW follow right along behind it. Then they measured the gas consumption of both cars over the exact same course and found that the Prius used more than the Bimmer.:thumbs:

IDSRVIT 03-10-2011 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1577017221)
Top Gear did a test that came close to that situation. They had a Prius go around the track as fast as it could, then had a 3 series BMW follow right along behind it. Then they measured the gas consumption of both cars over the exact same course and found that the Prius used more than the Bimmer.:thumbs:

Exactly! :thumbs:

C6~Missle 03-10-2011 12:46 PM

I'm glad we don't have the Displacement OD system.. the vette is not a good application for that system.. extra cost, complexity and not much
benefit. With the over-drive gearing and low end torque, the LSx doesn't have to rev much which makes for descent mpg especially on the hwy.

Goatdad 03-10-2011 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1577016634)
I'd tell 'em that Vettes don't have to drag along a whole lot of ugly, like his Prius does..

:iagree:

z51vett 03-10-2011 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by IDSRVIT (Post 1577016327)
Thanks, that's what I thought but wanted to be sure.

His argument by the way is the only reasons vettes get decent fuel milage on the hwy is they have the economy mode feature and I told him I'm pretty sure they do not but now you've given me the info needed to become a little more firm on that statement since he's still being an ass.

I pissed him off in a general conversation because he was touting in a group session how hybrids were supreme to all, so I calmly out of the blue said based on mpg/hp vettes are more fuel efficient than his prius and that didn't sit well with him, and thus started his ranting. Not sure if my statement is truly accurate or even correct but it sure is fun to get him all riled up. :thumbs:

New auto Camaros has this feature and get 17.5 around town and maybe 25 on highway cruise control set on 75. So i wonder what it would get without it.
z51vett