CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   A/C Question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2793589-a-c-question.html)

daddysvet92 03-11-2011 02:20 PM

A/C Question

There is a 95 complete system for sale, my question is:

I have a 92, will this system be an easy remove old and replace with the new working 95 system

I know my clutch is not working at all, can I replace the newer 95 clutch for the older 92 without doing anything more, or will I have to change everything then recharge?

Thanks for any help!
:cheers:

TWISTERUP 03-12-2011 08:01 AM

IF you know for sure the AC clutch has failed and you don't have another issue causing the system to not work--- such as a low freon charge---then, yes '92-'96 AC clutches are interchangable.

bac22 03-12-2011 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by daddysvet92 (Post 1577027648)
There is a 95 complete system for sale, my question is:

I have a 92, will this system be an easy remove old and replace with the new working 95 system

I know my clutch is not working at all, can I replace the newer 95 clutch for the older 92 without doing anything more, or will I have to change everything then recharge?

Thanks for any help!
:cheers:

Clutch failure is common on these cars, I would start with that first since it's not too bad of a job to do.

daddysvet92 03-12-2011 06:49 PM

A/c

Originally Posted by TWISTERUP (Post 1577033576)
IF you know for sure the AC clutch has failed and you don't have another issue causing the system to not work--- such as a low freon charge---then, yes '92-'96 AC clutches are interchangable.

I was told that if the clutch is not turning when you have the A/C on inside the car then it will not accept freon anyway!
So it might be low on freon but I can't check that until the clutch is turning on the compressor. Is this true?

How can I determine that the clutch is my problem?

Thanks

slicked25 03-13-2011 12:15 AM

If you have C68 auto climate control press and hod down the up and down arrow for a few seconds then a code should pop up. See what it says then search for C68 codes pretty sure you can do this for the manual control too C60. If you're low on freon your clutch want spin Code 7 is low on freon.

TWISTERUP 03-13-2011 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by daddysvet92 (Post 1577038319)
I was told that if the clutch is not turning when you have the A/C on inside the car then it will not accept freon anyway!
So it might be low on freon but I can't check that until the clutch is turning on the compressor. Is this true?

How can I determine that the clutch is my problem?

Thanks

There is a low pressure/cycling switch on the AC line near the evap housing under the hood--the correct switch should have a green/yellow wire and a blue wire running to it--with the AC turned on use a jumper wire to connect these 2 wires-if the AC clutch engages at this point-then it is likely low on freon and there is some sort of a leak somewhere. If it does not check with a test light or VOM to see if you have power to the switch.

Also a '92 should be R12 unless it has been converted to R134 freon--you'll need to to know which before attempting to recharge the system if it is low on freon. Further R12 can't be purchased any longer with out a license. R12 is VERY exspensive so IMO converting to R134 would be the way to go. If you don't have the equipment or knowledge to do the conversion then you'll need to go to someone who does. If you don't have the FSM for your car, you really should get one --the diagnostics would be very handy if you're doing your own wrenching.