CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Paddle shifter F1-mod DIY? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2797138-paddle-shifter-f1-mod-diy.html)

InstantArcade 03-17-2011 02:29 AM

Paddle shifter F1-mod DIY?

I've seen the F1 style paddle shift mod kits, but they seem really expensive at around $170.

Are there any DIY details for this mod?

I don't want to pay "Corvette tax" for an extra paddle shift I don't need, so I'd like to modify the one already on the car.

I just finished my HUD install, so I'm feeling adventurous :D

dbratten 03-17-2011 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by InstantArcade (Post 1577078730)
I've seen the F1 style paddle shift mod kits, but they seem really expensive at around $170.

Are there any DIY details for this mod?

I don't want to pay "Corvette tax" for an extra paddle shift I don't need, so I'd like to modify the one already on the car.

I just finished my HUD install, so I'm feeling adventurous :D

Here's what I did for free -- http://www.bratten.org/C6/Paddle/index.html-- over four years ago with no problems since. :cheers:

November Soul 03-18-2011 07:06 PM

Thanks for the great writeup!

InstantArcade 03-18-2011 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by dbratten (Post 1577078861)
Here's what I did for free -- http://web.mac.com/dbrat10/iWeb/C6-A6/index.html -- over four years ago with no problems since. :cheers:

Just what I was looking for, thanks!:thumbs:

Chief07 03-18-2011 07:46 PM

Like the op I would like feedback on the F1 shifter for the 06-11 c6. I would like feedback not on doing the above for free, but on the actual F1 shifter available. Thanks

Jeff

November Soul 03-18-2011 10:19 PM

Success!

I just did this mod in about 30 mins. The hardest part was feeling for the airbag retaining clips.

I used a pin to liberate the wire from their sockets, seems like the retaining tang is part of the brown clip and not on the metal crimp connector as it usually is.

I just swapped the two outer wires on the right hand paddle and it works a treat.

A few things to note:
  • Lower your window and disconnect your battery and wait 10 mins before starting this to ensure the airbag is deactivated.
  • I spent some time looking at the diagram to see if I could get the "+" buttons to do the same as the paddles for that side. It's electrically possible, but would require some board level reworking of the left side paddle. I actually like the fact that the "+" buttons are now just opposite of the paddle.
  • If you removed you battery, remember to re-calibrate your windows. To do this, close both doors and lower each window. Keep the button pressed for 2 seconds to set it. Then raise each window and keep the button pressed for 2 seconds to set the closed height.
  • While I was at it, I pulled my NPP fuse. Now everything sounds great. Two mods for the price of one :)
    :woohoo:

Zoxxo 03-19-2011 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by lotsoffun07 (Post 1577095749)
Like the op I would like feedback on the F1 shifter for the 06-11 c6. I would like feedback not on doing the above for free, but on the actual F1 shifter available. Thanks

Jeff

We have the unit from Zip-corvettes installed in my wife's 2007 (a small pc board for the left paddle) and it works great. Recommended. Installation is easy.

http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductD...GR-SR&CTitle=&

I went from totally ignoring the paddles when I drive her car to using them all the time.

Z//

dbratten 03-19-2011 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by November Soul (Post 1577097191)
I just did this mod in about 30 mins. The hardest part was feeling for the airbag retaining clips.

I used a pin to liberate the wire from their sockets, seems like the retaining tang is part of the brown clip and not on the metal crimp connector as it usually is.

I just swapped the two outer wires on the right hand paddle and it works a treat.

A few things to note:
  • Lower your window and disconnect your battery and wait 10 mins before starting this to ensure the airbag is deactivated.
  • I spent some time looking at the diagram to see if I could get the "+" buttons to do the same as the paddles for that side. It's electrically possible, but would require some board level reworking of the left side paddle. I actually like the fact that the "+" buttons are now just opposite of the paddle.
  • If you removed you battery, remember to re-calibrate your windows. To do this, close both doors and lower each window. Keep the button pressed for 2 seconds to set it. Then raise each window and keep the button pressed for 2 seconds to set the closed height.
  • While I was at it, I pulled my NPP fuse. Now everything sounds great. Two mods for the price of one :)
    :woohoo:

Glad it worked for you. :thumbs:

My instructions and photos captured the first ever rewiring of the paddles and can be simplified and enhanced as you note. Maybe someday I'll take the time to redo them -- but probably not.

I prefer having the + act the opposite on each side as it makes one-hand control possible especially with the wheel turned or if your right hand is otherwise occupied. :cheers:

madmax4499 11-14-2011 07:07 PM

sweet mod, on the wheel with audio controls you dont have to remove the horn ring, just the one screw for the cover, unplug the connector for the paddle, remove the white part. i ground a paper clip to use to release the wire just be genital. LOL. so much better this way.

SK360 08-13-2012 10:48 PM

Anyone have pictures o how to do this still? The link is dead :(

madmax4499 08-14-2012 12:00 AM

you can google it, the best thing i did to my car so far

dbratten 08-14-2012 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by SK360 (Post 1581563580)
Anyone have pictures o how to do this still? The link is dead :(

I thought I had lost everything after a site change and a couple of computer changes but was just able to find the pictures and write-up I had archived.

I'll try to get it reposted in the next couple of days.

--Dan

SK360 08-15-2012 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by dbratten (Post 1581564725)
I thought I had lost everything after a site change and a couple of computer changes but was just able to find the pictures and write-up I had archived.

I'll try to get it reposted in the next couple of days.

--Dan

Thanks Dan, just picked up an 08 A6 and smacked it off the limiter a few times trying to use the paddles how they should have been. Annoying as all hell.

onempty 08-16-2012 10:45 AM

I was driving the other day and thought about doing something like this. I can't wait to see the DIY! Thanks Dan.

dbratten 08-17-2012 02:50 AM

Updated Web Page

I'll run this off my home computer where it will remain available.

http://www.bratten.org/C6/Paddle/index.html

Let me know if I missed anything and I'll get it updated.

--Dan :cheers:

onempty 08-17-2012 11:22 AM

That is an awesome write up. Thank you. This will make using the paddles so much better.

SK360 08-19-2012 08:10 PM

Thanks for the repost, much appreciated

SamHouseIII 08-27-2012 09:49 PM

Completed this Mod tonight, hardest part was pushing the springs in holding the airbag....love it now, just like my Camaro.

Btw 2012 GS.

vig1116 01-04-2013 10:37 PM

I'm thinking about doing this mod and have a couple of questions for whomever. First, after this is done it has no effect on either thumb "push" on both paddles, correct? (So essentially there are 3 up shift ways, and one downshift. Am I right?? ). Ideally I would like left side, either push or pull, to downshift and right side, push or pull up shift. If that's not possible then this will do, I just want to know.. Also, in the write up it says disconnect the ground located next to the fuse box, but isn't that the positive?? Thanks guys.

madmax4499 01-04-2013 11:01 PM

it just reverses the operation of the right paddle. you will love it. super easy to do. yes you are right about the battery, just disconnect the neg. terminal and you will be fine.