CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Events (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events-97/)
-   -   PF48R oil filters (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events/2797727-pf48r-oil-filters.html)

70goat 03-17-2011 11:43 PM

PF48R oil filters

These seem to be un-obtanium in Edmonton....I have had a case ordered for 2 months and still no arrival....all references to Wix and K&N etc only list the regular PF48 filter....

Anyone out there know anything different?

CanadaGrant 03-18-2011 12:21 AM

You can order them from forum vendor Kevin at Partstaxi. He will send them USPS and the total will still be much less than you can get them for here. The only difference between the 48 and 48R is a slightly thicker wall for a bit higher burst pressure rating. That's why aftermarket manufactures only list the one filter.
:cheers:

70goat 03-18-2011 02:28 PM

Thanks a lot!

PartsTaxi.com 03-18-2011 02:43 PM

Thanks for the referal! Give me a call or you can order directly through our website and I'll get them shipped up to you.
Kevin

jimbo2golfgolf 03-18-2011 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by PartsTaxi.com (Post 1577092765)
Thanks for the referal! Give me a call or you can order directly through our website and I'll get them shipped up to you.
Kevin

$9.69 each:salute: that is way better than what I paid $40.00 including HST for one:canadaflag::smash:, I will be ordering some very soon.

Overdrive 03-18-2011 04:14 PM

Are they a better filter than the K&N ones? I've been using K&N's on my 04.

Cdn Z06 Mike 03-18-2011 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo2golfgolf (Post 1577093309)
$9.69 each:salute: that is way better than what I paid $40.00 including HST for one:canadaflag::smash:, I will be ordering some very soon.

WHAT??? I paid $11 and change taxes in for the regular PF48 oil filter from my dealer. What is this stuff made of, Gold? I may have to place an order as well!

PartsTaxi.com 03-18-2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 1577093651)
Are they a better filter than the K&N ones? I've been using K&N's on my 04.

I am not extremely familiar with the K&N product to tell you specifically. I do know the UPF48R has better filtration then stock and a higher burst point. It's what is used on the ZR1.

Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike (Post 1577094024)
WHAT??? I paid $11 and change taxes in for the regular PF48 oil filter from my dealer. What is this stuff made of, Gold? I amy have to place an order as well!

HOLY CRAP!!! We sell the regular PF48 for $5.09, and I think GM MSRP is only around $7.50. Might want to consider a different local dealer if you have an option. I'd be glad to ship some out to you whenever you're ready.

Originally Posted by jimbo2golfgolf (Post 1577093309)

:ack: $40???
I have plenty of them here whenever you need some.

Thanks everyone!
Kevin

Airwilf 03-18-2011 05:10 PM

Maybe a few of us could split a case.

Highway Hawk 03-18-2011 05:43 PM

Get the Napa Golds. They are like $7 each and very good filters. I stock up when we go to the US. I probably have half a dozen C5 filters at the moment.

:cheers:

Overdrive 03-18-2011 05:45 PM

Is the PF48R an AC part? Who makes them for AC?

Cdn Z06 Mike 03-18-2011 05:54 PM

Kevin/Wilf make a good point... For the 3000 miles a year I'll put on the car I'd only use 2 oil changes a year but would split a case with another local GTA on the PF48R filters to CBI and will pick up from there if anyone is interested? Or we can buy a whole bunch if the group is interested?

PartsTaxi.com 03-18-2011 05:56 PM

We sell them individually to, we don't make you buy a whole case if you don't want/need that many.

Overdrive 03-18-2011 06:03 PM

From what I see the PF48 is the same filter as the UPF48R except the latter has a stronger shell for a higher burst strength although nowhere is there a number to say what the burst strength is.

I like K&N for the nut on the end to make getting them off easy. The K&N has a burst strength of 550lbs.

If the manual says use the R then pay the extra otherwise you can pick either.

Cdn Z06 Mike 03-18-2011 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 1577094771)
From what I see the PF48 is the same filter as the UPF48R except the latter has a stronger shell for a higher burst strength although nowhere is there a number to say what the burst strength is.

I like K&N for the nut on the end to make getting them off easy. The K&N has a burst strength of 550lbs.

I am mostly concerned for the filtration the filter offers Steve. I know GM invests big bannanas to study this kind of stuff and the OEM filters are usually one of the best. Would be curious to see if the K & N offers equivalent or better filtration. I'd have to do some research on this stuff! Hec if it weren't for John I didn't realize there was even an R version offered of the PF48!

PartsTaxi.com 03-18-2011 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 1577094771)

Not 100% correct. The UPF48R actually offers much better filtration then the stock PF48.

Cdn Z06 Mike 03-18-2011 06:11 PM

Kevin, can you PM me a price for the UPF48R and if anyone wants they can piggy back an order off me?

Overdrive 03-18-2011 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by PartsTaxi.com (Post 1577094822)
Not 100% correct. The UPF48R actually offers much better filtration then the stock PF48.

Found this news release. I would read same internals as meaning same filter material and level of filtration. The only difference would be the burst strength.

GM’s HIGH PERFORMANCE - HIGH PRESSURE OIL FILTER IS BACK
Members, Here is the latest news that we have learned from GM Powertrain.

GM Powertrain has released a new oil filter for the 2009 Corvette. The new design UltraguardTM Gold UPF48R oil filter will be used on the following OEM applications:

Z06 - LS7 7.0L and ZR1 - LS9 6.2L

According to GM, this filter was designed with the following in mind: “With the addition of piston oil cooling nozzles and other unique lubrication system requirements, a new design dual-rotor oil pump is required for the LS9 application. The new design oil pump produces greater volume and higher system oil pressure. To meet those requirements, a new oil filter with higher BURST strength is required.

The UltraguardTM Gold UPF48R filter (U is for Ultra and R is for Racing) is black in color, has a thicker exterior shell and can be identified as GM part number 12626224. The internal components are the same in both the UPF48R and the PF48 oil filters. The UPF48R can be used in applications where the PF48 is specified.

GM requires the UPF48R for the LS9 application and is also used for the LS7 application as both engines are built at GM’s Wixom Engine Performance Build Center.

Members, Tell your friends that you can use this new UltraguardTM Gold UPF48R filter (part number 12626224) with all 2007, 2008 and 2009 C6 Corvettes that stipulate the use of GM’s PF48 oil filter, if you desire this new higher burst strength racing design.

Link-> http://www.c6registry.com/Hot_News/archive/dec08.htm

Mike Jung 03-18-2011 08:15 PM

From G8 Board...

Originally Posted by hulkss
I have not tried this but it should fit the G8.

GM Part Number 12626224 – UPF48R Ultra Guard Oil Filter - Currently used on the 2009 Z06 and ZR1 engines. Can be used in place of the PF48.

Words from ACDelco:
Rely on Duraguard Oil Filters to: Trap particles as small as 25 microns, insuring a clean supply of lubricating oil flow into the moving parts of your engine. Provide a leak-proof connection with the double lock seal at the base of the filter shell and gasket retainer plate, so dirty oil stays away from your engine. Thermosetting adhesive seals hold the paper media in place for consistent, dependable oil filtration throughout the filter. UltraGuard is worth its weight in gold for your engine – ACDelco Ultraguard Gold Oil Filters. Protecting engines better than any other oil filter on the market, ACDelco Ultraguard Gold Oil Filters are built using state-of-the-art filter technology that helps them reduce engine wear by 74%. In addition, ACDelco Ultraguard Gold Oil Filters remove contaminants before they enter the engine with the highest efficiency rating on the market at 98%, trapping particles as small as 8-10 microns. Ensure a fresh supply of oil to the bearings, rings and other moving parts. Have a Teflon-coated gasket that protects against leakage and makes them easier to install and remove.

More Info:
GM Powertrain has released a new oil filter for the 2009 Corvette. The new design UltraguardTM Gold UPF48R oil filter will be used on the following OEM applications:
Z06 - LS7 7.0L and ZR1 - LS9 6.2L

According to GM, this filter was designed with the following in mind: “With the addition of piston oil cooling nozzles and other unique lubrication system requirements, a new design dual-rotor oil pump is required for the LS9 application. The new design oil pump produces greater volume and higher system oil pressure. To meet those requirements, a new oil filter with higher BURST strength is required.

The UltraguardTM Gold UPF48R filter (U is for Ultra and R is for Racing) is black in color, has a thicker exterior shell and can be identified as GM part number 12626224. The internal components are the same in both the UPF48R and the PF48 oil filters. The UPF48R can be used in applications where the PF48 is specified.”

GM requires the UPF48R for the LS9 application and is also used for the LS7 application as both engines are built at GM’s Wixom Engine Performance Build Center.

You can use this new UltraguardTM Gold UPF48R filter (part number 12626224) with all 2007, 2008 and 2009 C6 Corvettes that stipulate the use of GM’s PF48 oil filter, if you desire this new higher burst strength racing design.

Originally Posted by Mike Jung
This doesn't really say much.
Just marketing speak.

25-microns at what percentage ?
Efficiency rating of 98% at what micron level ?
If it is at 25-microns, a Wix filter just beat it.

NAPA Gold 7060 oil filter.
Spec's:
Beta Ratio: 2/75=8/22
Max Flow Rate: 10-12 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

So that means:
Beta 2 ratio = 50% efficiency at 8 microns
Beta 20 ratio = 98.6% efficiency at 22 microns
& it flows 10-12 gallons per minute max

Edited my original post...

IIRC, AC Delco Ultragold oil filters are suppose to flow really well.
& use a synthetic media to filter really well.
That was back then before they discontinued them.

I guess they brought back the name...but not the synthetic media ?

But hats off to Wix filters for giving actual filtering spec :thumbs:

Cman01 03-19-2011 06:35 AM

I did this post up a year ago re: UPF48R filters

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/cana...l-filters.html

I'm sitting on 2 cases of these right now so if anyone needs some locally I can let some go, have to work out a price on them.

Mike, I still have 2 PF48s sitting here with your name on them. We never hooked up when I had the filters with me so this year we'll try again. Perhaps next week if you are at WN tech sessions I'll bring them with me.

Tony