CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Car Care Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion-10/)
-   -   Emu oil on leather :) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/2800108-emu-oil-on-leather.html)

leet13 03-21-2011 02:18 PM

Emu oil on leather :)

When I got the car, I noticed the drivers seat felt kind of crunchy as did the shift boot and around emergency brake.

I used some Turtle wax leather cleaner and conditioner on the seats/shift boot... Did not feel or look much different when I was done at that time.

A week later I did it again (turtle wax leather cleaner/conditioner), worked it in a bit then wiped completely off. Then, I sprayed on 303 protectant and added a bunch of drops of emu oil. I let it sit a minute then wiped it off. Repeat once more. After I was done the inside of the car, I simply put a towel over the seats as I normally do so the sun wouldnt beam directly onto it.

Took me a few days to go back and check the leather-- feels amazing... so much more soft than before. No emu oil residue at all. I am happy with it and will do the same again next time I do my interior.

Killrwheels@Autogeek 03-21-2011 07:12 PM

Leatherique is another great choice .... its quite a rejuvinator.

http://www.autogeek.net/leleca.html

agentf1 03-21-2011 07:44 PM

I second the Leatherique recommendation. If it wasn't for Leatherique my seats would be beat. I had 17000 miles on my C5 Z06 seats and they looked like new thanks to Leatherique. Well worth the money IMHO. I buy it by the gallon.

TOGWT 03-22-2011 04:47 AM

Emu oil or the sperm from an alligator will soften the urathane (plastic) covered leather in your Corvette ;)

j/k

leet13 03-22-2011 03:38 PM

I have shopped a few times online at autogeek... last time was a pretty big haul and somehow missed the leather stuff due to the fact that we had some stuff here (but then it went missing-- that was how the turtle wax brand came along).

I will definitely check it out! Thanks

As far as the other comment- I just ran out of alligator sperm-- i dressed my tires in it. *ick* hehe

Killrwheels@Autogeek 03-22-2011 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by leet13 (Post 1577130672)
I have shopped a few times online at autogeek... last time was a pretty big haul and somehow missed the leather stuff due to the fact that we had some stuff here (but then it went missing-- that was how the turtle wax brand came along).

I will definitely check it out! Thanks

As far as the other comment- I just ran out of alligator sperm-- i dressed my tires in it. *ick* hehe

I will only add that for normal leather care you will find no brand better than Leathermasters. Many patents and they know leather. However for annual booster or rejuvination, I still suggest Leatherique and most will agree. Both are quite notable when used as directed.

TOGWT 03-23-2011 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek (Post 1577133187)
I will only add that for normal leather care you will find no brand better than Leathermasters. Many patents and they know leather. However for annual booster or rejuvination, I still suggest Leatherique and most will agree. Both are quite notable when used as directed.

+1 on Leather Master's products.

A good trio for leather cleaning / protection / maintenance Leather Master™ Kit with Strong Cleaner, Leather Protection and Soft Touch (ex Vital) not a conditioner per se but used for revitalizing and restoring the tactile feel of older leathers and also to improve the feel of stiff leathers Leather Master has been my choice of leather care products for the last twelve years or more.

ruenvs 03-25-2011 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by TOGWT (Post 1577126396)
Emu oil or the sperm from an alligator will soften the urathane (plastic) covered leather in your Corvette ;)

j/k

And we know about the gator sperm how???
:hide:

allstar14 03-25-2011 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek (Post 1577133187)
I will only add that for normal leather care you will find no brand better than Leathermasters.

Really, I take it you guys finally started carrying Leather Masters then...

There is definitely product that can compete with Leather Masters. You guys dont sell it though.

Alisa Roost 04-25-2019 11:22 AM

This tool is great fit! I use Emu Oil for interior treatment inside the car. I like the result. I consider this oil to be one of the best in leather care.

JimmyS5600 04-25-2019 03:43 PM

Our leather seat covers are coated. Don't understand how leather masters works on our seats

TrackAire 04-27-2019 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyS5600 (Post 1599290805)
Our leather seat covers are coated. Don't understand how leather masters works on our seats

Exactly......mind over matter I guess. The only USA made vehicle I can think with uncoated leather seats was the Ford King Ranch editions trucks. The idea was the leather was suppose to age and take on a saddle-like patina. In reality, most of the King Ranch seats I've seen look like shit due to grease stains, giant scratches, etc.

If you want to test your seat to see if they are coated or uncoated, a drop of water on the surface left for 30 seconds will prove what you have. If you wipe the drop off you and you are left with a stain, the seats are uncoated leather. These can be treated with leather conditioners and oils to change the feel and patina (like a saddle). If you wipe off the drop of water and no stain is left, well then you have plastic covered leather seats like the 99.9% of us.