CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Cannot not open door with key fob (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2800407-cannot-not-open-door-with-key-fob.html)

mrvideosawyer 03-21-2011 09:00 PM

Cannot not open door with key fob

I have changed the battery in key fob and to no avail the door lock won't work - but it does open hatch back. Any ideas on what could be wrong.

avigar 03-21-2011 09:13 PM

I'm assuming that you don't have a second fob you can test with. Are both door locks affected? You can always have a 3rd party remote system installed, with alarm, like I did. My '91 never came with a remote. I don't think remotes became available until the '92 model year.

RollaMo-LT4 03-21-2011 09:41 PM

Are you aware of how the C4 PKE system actually works?

You didn't really give out much information, so I am assuming your not familiar with this system.
The buttons on the FOB will NEVER unlock the drivers door.

If you are aware of how the system is supposed to work, then post some more details.

mrvideosawyer 03-21-2011 11:09 PM

Woa - Just wanted some advice

I am brand new to this Corvette and I am swimming through issues. I am sorry if "I don't completly understand" the door lock "in's and outs".

What else do I have to explain - doors do not lock or unlock with fob any help with this would be great - anyway thanks in advance
Jim

toptechx6 03-22-2011 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by mrvideosawyer (Post 1577125251)
I am brand new to this Corvette and I am swimming through issues. I am sorry if "I don't completly understand" the door lock "in's and outs".

What else do I have to explain - doors do not lock or unlock with fob any help with this would be great - anyway thanks in advance
Jim

Most new owners assume the Passive Keyless Entry (PKE) system in the C4 Corvette is the same as other keyless entry vehicles, then become confused because it is very different.
You have not filled out your profile or indicated the year of the car, but this link to the 93 owners manual should help with understanding operation.

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...93corvette.pdf

link courtesy of forum vendor GM Parts House.

Note in particular the instructions on page 48 for turning PKE on and off, detailed instructions start on page 43.:thumbs:

markKlein 03-22-2011 10:50 AM

Read the owners manual. Sounds like the fob and PKE module are working as designed. But, to summarize: the fob door button does not lock the doors. Ever. The fob will open the passenger door and hatchback. Right now your system is turned "off", meaning the PKE feature is inactive. TO turn it on, stand by the drivers door and hold down the door button for a few seconds. You should hear a sound like the doors locking and then unlocking. That would mean the PKE system is turned on. The way the system works is, when you walk away from the car, it locks the doors (without pushing button). When you walk back close to the car it unlocks the doors.

It does not work like a typical fob.

ratmotortom 03-22-2011 11:25 AM

If you can't figure it out........... Give me a call, I'll walk you through it on the phone. :thumbs:

78pacer 03-22-2011 01:04 PM

The system works great....when it works. Not to steal this thread, but I will anyways so please bear with me, I was chatting with a buddy that owns a C-6. His Key Fob seems to work similarly to ours. What's the difference between the C-4 and C-6 PKE systems?
Mike

ratmotortom 03-22-2011 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by 78pacer (Post 1577129273)
The system works great....when it works. Not to steal this thread, but I will anyways so please bear with me, I was chatting with a buddy that owns a C-6. His Key Fob seems to work similarly to ours. What's the difference between the C-4 and C-6 PKE systems?
Mike

The new system is similar to the old C4 system. It works with a proximity transmitter that locks and unlocks the doors when the transmitter "fob" is in and out of range. The feedback of the fob is programmed through the DIC. Of course the unlock button on a C6 actually unlocks the driver's door !! :)

markKlein 03-22-2011 04:04 PM

Jim

Not to jump on you too hard, but I have been seeing a lot of this lately. When you are asking for help it is in your best interest to provide all the details you can when asked. Taking a "you already know everything you need to know" attitude just makes people move on to the next thread. Just saying.

avigar 03-22-2011 04:14 PM

Jim

Well, have you tried the suggestions given here? Did the fob finally work for you? Let us know.

mrvideosawyer 03-22-2011 07:51 PM

Thanks everyone for the help - yes I followed instructions given by all. Worked great. I am sorry I was such a noob - Jim

RollaMo-LT4 03-22-2011 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by mrvideosawyer (Post 1577132926)
Thanks everyone for the help - yes I followed instructions given by all. Worked great. I am sorry I was such a noob - Jim

Glad to hear you got it figured out.
Don't worry too much about "noob" questions.
We were all there at one time. :thumbs:

78pacer 03-22-2011 08:52 PM

Noob q's...hahahah...we all been there and we'll all be there unless we've worked for the General from 1984-1996. You had a valid question. You woulda laffed your ass off watching me drag my PKE fob across the garage floor toward the vette with fishing line trying to program that damned thing. I'm just glad wifey didn't see me. She would have cut me off from beer for a year!
Good luck with the vette Jim, and don't be a stranger.
Mike

Wathen1955 03-23-2011 12:23 AM

I had mine go bad and had to have the receiver replaced that is located in the dash. Warning: if for some reason your PKE system does not work, i.e. the doors don't open or lock, replace the battery. I found out on mine that if the battery voltage drops below 2.8v, it won't work anymore. I measured the battery voltage and thought the battery was still good. I then thought the system needed to be re-programmed. WRONG. It was the damn battery.

The battery gets used every time the remote moves. If you shake it, it sounds like a part has broken off inside. Its actually a small ball that moves as the remote moves. So if you have it in your pocket, each time you walk or move, its using battery power which explains why the batteries don't last long.

After having mine fixed, I turned the PKE system off and just use the key.

avigar 03-23-2011 12:43 AM

The PKE system sounds more like a pain in the butt. I'm glad my '91 didn't have one. I got so used to having remote fobs that I had to have one installed. The added alarm system is also a big plus.

markKlein 03-23-2011 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4 (Post 1577133355)
Glad to hear you got it figured out.
Don't worry too much about "noob" questions.
We were all there at one time. :thumbs:

:iagree: Glad things are working.

L82shark 03-23-2011 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by 78pacer (Post 1577133573)
Noob q's...hahahah...we all been there and we'll all be there unless we've worked for the General from 1984-1996. You had a valid question. You woulda laffed your ass off watching me drag my PKE fob across the garage floor toward the vette with fishing line trying to program that damned thing. I'm just glad wifey didn't see me. She would have cut me off from beer for a year!
Good luck with the vette Jim, and don't be a stranger.
Mike

the stuff we do on these cars.... my wife doesnt even come out to my shop anymore because of some of the stuff I was doing to voodoo the rides back to life.....:rock:

Another guy I know refuses to fix his VATS system, but he says if he sneaks up on the car and gently eases the key into the ignition it will start everytime as long as he doesnt touch it after he unlocks it. I laughed my butt off the first time I saw him do it.

BlkMgk 10-16-2011 01:16 AM

PKE is now working!

Thanks to this thread I was able to get my PKE working again. Big props to you guys!

I just purchased my triple black 93 C4 convertible about 3 weeks ago. The PKE just stopped working a few days ago, and I've been pulling my hair out until I found this thread.

Word of advice: If you need to open your fob for any reason, like to change the battery etc., Be very careful not to break off the little locking tab (like I did) or you'll be using black electrical tape to keep the bugger closed. (Like I am.)

I'm ordering a new fob anyway, along with an owner's manual!

BTW, thanks for the link to the '93 owners manual PDF file.

I'm honored to join this forum.

You guys ROCK!

Larry/car 10-16-2011 07:31 PM

Actually the PKE system works very good. You just have to understand it. I turn my system on and off all the time. I always have it off in the garage the system cycles every time the FOB is in range.