CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   C4 Corvette Overheating (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2808056-c4-corvette-overheating.html)

crzydrumer14 04-01-2011 09:09 PM

C4 Corvette Overheating

Hey guys, went to start up the vette today after about 4 days and when I turned the key it started to crank then i heard a deep pop come from the engine. Afterwards my car is running about 20-30 hotter (about 180-200) than normal and heats up rapidly when just idling..... (up to 220 at one point) :/

Any suggestions as to what could be going on?

Thermostat stuck...?

I know that's not very hot but still seems alittle odd and I'd like to fix it.

Thanks guys.

oldalaskaman 04-02-2011 01:49 AM

I vote 'burp' it first, and see if that helps, then with it cold, open the cap and check for air bubbles.

crzydrumer14 04-02-2011 08:26 AM

by burb do you mean bleed the system?

GARYIMES7 04-02-2011 12:01 PM

The mechanic that I use says that he's seen a lot of C4s do the same thing. He says that the higher mileage and age on the idiot gauges are usually the problem. Try a higher temp thermostat.

crzydrumer14 04-02-2011 03:28 PM

I think there may be something stuck in the fan or in the radiator like a bag or something. Im at work though so ill check it when i get home. (didnt drive it to work). Im thinking= its a piece of trash though becuase it only heats up when im just sitting there. As soon as i get moving its fine. But garyimes7 i highly doubt it the gauges or something big just becuase my vette has 55000 miles on. Its practically brand new. Im thinking its just trash. If not ill try a new thermostat. Thanks guys

vader86 04-02-2011 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by GARYIMES7 (Post 1577235074)
The mechanic that I use says that he's seen a lot of C4s do the same thing. He says that the higher mileage and age on the idiot gauges are usually the problem. Try a higher temp thermostat.

WTF?

As with all cooling problems, eliminate the easy things first.
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/vad...erheating.html

That link is the basic steps to go through.

oldalaskaman 04-02-2011 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by crzydrumer14 (Post 1577233626)
by burb do you mean bleed the system?

'bur...'p'

slicked25 04-03-2011 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by crzydrumer14 (Post 1577231154)
Hey guys, went to start up the vette today after about 4 days and when I turned the key it started to crank then i heard a deep pop come from the engine. Afterwards my car is running about 20-30 hotter (about 180-200) than normal and heats up rapidly when just idling..... (up to 220 at one point) :/

Any suggestions as to what could be going on?

Thermostat stuck...?

I know that's not very hot but still seems alittle odd and I'd like to fix it.

Thanks guys.

Are both fans kicking on primary on left secondary on right? The fan motor quit on mine (primary) and it was doing the same thing. I think you only have to burp it after flushing it then refilling. See if something is blocking the radiator fins. Is it dirty? Take a water hose to both sets of fins. When idling she'll get hotter with the A/C on and cool down with the fan on so a TStat fixed it. Get it fixed before it gets hot.

FOURSPEEDVETTE 04-03-2011 10:24 AM

You need a new mechanic! :lol: Gauges read what the sensors send them. If anything the sensors might be bad. Not the gauges. High mileage has nothing to do with gauges. "Idiot lights" are used in cars without an actual gauge.

96GS#007 04-03-2011 10:51 AM

:crazy2:

Sweet 90 04-03-2011 11:32 AM

Your mechanic??? I wouldn't let that guy touch my lawn mower:willy:

Frizlefrak 04-03-2011 02:03 PM

If your car is running 180-200, you need to find something else to worry about. The "pop" you heard was a cat escaping when you hit the key....unsuccessfully.. :lol:

Frizlefrak 04-03-2011 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet 90 (Post 1577242819)

Your lawn mower will last fifty years....you only have to mow 3 times a year. :rofl:

crzydrumer14 04-03-2011 11:43 PM

update... I was just paying extra attention to everything after that pop. Scared me there. haha. its all good. checked it all out last night; space in between condenser, radiator itself, thermostat, and fans. All checked out. I just got the car like a month ago. Its all good. Still getting used to it and how it runs and what the gauges normally read. False alarm. Thanks though.

amadrid7 04-04-2011 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by crzydrumer14 (Post 1577248692)
update... I was just paying extra attention to everything after that pop. Scared me there. haha. its all good. checked it all out last night; space in between condenser, radiator itself, thermostat, and fans. All checked out. I just got the car like a month ago. Its all good. Still getting used to it and how it runs and what the gauges normally read. False alarm. Thanks though.

Ya good luck with it I got my 84 vette about 6 months ago and Im still learning I never had a sports car I never new they run hotter then normal cars.

Vetster88 04-04-2011 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet 90 (Post 1577242819)

"heres your problem...The blade is too long, need to shorten it so it'll reduce the unneccesary length. also the tires need to be bigger as to keep the deck from 'bottoming out' in the grass. I would also recommend using a glow plug for better over all running, spark plugs are over rated.":hide:

Those mechanics are why my corvettes remain in my garage under multiple locks n keys...with parking brakes applied and a couple large trucks parked in front of the garage door... with kill switches :rock::rofl:

skunkus 08-19-2012 12:28 AM

I know the problem on overheating or raising temperatures no one has mentioned yet. Check under neath the very front of your vette. Is there a plastic spoiler hanging down? Notice Corvettes dont have a front grill like most cars so, air needs to be drawn up from underneath. These get ripped off from those cement parking lot blocks. If you are missing yours, buy one install it, and then reduce your thermostat to 185, then Walmart has a coolant "add to any color and any type" coolant (its green), its a white bottle. Do these 3 things and your done, I guarantee, mine is at 185 perfect at night, 215 on a hot day, 225 in traffic, but the fans come on then and reduce temps to 203, then go back up, then down. But check underneath, I'll bet that wrap around spoiler might be gone.