CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Caliper Reassembly (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2809667-caliper-reassembly.html)

mjslouz06 04-04-2011 02:24 PM

Caliper Reassembly

Hi Guys...

I had my front and rear Z06 calipers powder coated by Mike in ZR1 Blue. They look awesome and I'll post some pics in the General section when I get them home tonight.

The question I have is.... Is there a good set of instructions avail for putting these back together? I sent them to Mike intact and I have them back in pieces. Stupid me didn't take any close ups before I sent them off.

Thanks for any posssible help or leads.

Michael

Bill Dearborn 04-04-2011 03:24 PM

It sounds like the pistons and seals were removed. Just read the shop manual on how to install new seals on the pistons. Seal kits can be purchased from Zeckausen Racing. The pads, pad pins and springs are sort of intuitive once you start working on the caliper. Only one way for them to go in except for the pads which have to have the tab at the outside edge of the caliper.

Bill

mjslouz06 04-04-2011 03:30 PM

Pistons and seals are still in place. What was taken off was the a bunch of clips, which from pictures I've gathered so far look like they snap on the bottom of the rotor and hold the padlets in place. Then I have a bunch of little nuts (almost like nipples) that look like thet go on the front (2 per caliper). Each little nut seems to have a black rubber cap.

Am am at work so not possible to post pics from here.

BEZ06 04-04-2011 03:33 PM

Actually, the calipers can be installed on the car on the wrong side.

A number of forum members have done that, and then posted for answers to why they couldn't bleed the brakes and get a firm pedal.

The calipers must be put on with the bleed valves on the TOP!!

Bob :flag:

Bill Dearborn 04-04-2011 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by mjslouz06 (Post 1577253665)
Pistons and seals are still in place. What was taken off was the a bunch of clips, which from pictures I've gathered so far look like they snap on the bottom of the rotor and hold the padlets in place. Then I have a bunch of little nuts (almost like nipples) that look like thet go on the front (2 per caliper). Each little nut seems to have a black rubber cap.

The springs are self explanatory. Are you sure the other things are nuts Vs the bleeder screws. The bleeder screws have a rubber cover that slides over them to keep dirt out. And when mounting the caliper the bleeders need to be up. There are two bleeders per caliper front and rear so you should have a total of 8.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ontCaliper.jpg

Bleeder screws are shown at the top with the black covers on them. In the middle of the caliper you can see a small indentation to the right of the V in Corvette. There is another just behind it. The spring clips have a tab that fits into the indentation. You might just be able to see the one in this picture.

Bill

BEZ06 04-04-2011 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by mjslouz06 (Post 1577253665)

The nuts with the black rubber caps sound like your bleed valves - there are 2 on each Z06 caliper:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/DSCF1183.jpg

Below is a picture (the first one) that shows how the springs hold the padlets in place - at least sort of!!! You still need to hold the pads in place and spread apart as you install the caliper back on to the rotor.

Also, in the pictures below you can see that, as Bill mentioned, the pads can be installed WRONG!! I took the pictures below to show that they can be installed with the tabs pointing in the wrong direction. Like Bill said, the tabs on the padlets must be toward the outside of the caliper:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/DSCF1172.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/DSCF1174.jpg

Good luck, and looking forward to pics of those beauties!!!

Bob :flag:

mjslouz06 04-04-2011 03:51 PM

Thanks guys!!

Those pictures and explanations make total sense and match up with what I'm looking at. Yes it's the bleeder valves and spring clips that have to be re-installed. After some honey-do's tonight I'll post up some pictures in the General section of the calipers before I start putting the stuff back on.

Mike the Powdercoater did a great job. The two I pulled out look beautiful. I can't wait to get them on the car with my new HPS pads.

timd38 04-04-2011 07:33 PM

If you don't mount the bleeder on top, you will never get the air out of the system.

mfquinn 04-04-2011 09:39 PM

I had some done and before using I pushed the pistons out to look at the condition of the dust boots. I found a bunch of sand blasting material on them and ended up having to remove the pistons and clean the boots. Just an FYI

sampaschal 04-04-2011 09:55 PM

Flush the calipers with clean brake fluid...blow them out with compressed air...repeat this step at least twice...

Select the brake fluid you will use for the final refill.

Coat the brake caliper piston seals with brake fluid and install them in the groove inside the caliper. Double check that the seals are NOT twiested.

Coat the caliper piston with brake fluid and insert the closed in into the caliper first. Gently press the piston to the bottom of the bore. Repeat this step for the next caliper piston.

Install the dust covers on the outside of the caliper making sure the dust cover if fully enged with both the caliper and the piston. It may help to back the piston out just slightly to install the dust cover.

Install the bleeder valve...install the calipers and the brake shoes...Torque the mounting bolts to spec...twice....bleed the caliper...move to the next one...

ALS 08 04-05-2011 06:01 PM

Mike doesn't send you calipers back in pieces. The loose parts you mention I suspect are the Anti-Rattle clips that go under the pads and the Bleed screws. He sent them back off your original calipers because you'll need them for the new ones. I did the core exchange with him.
I removed those pieces myself from old calipers and transfered them to new ones. You'll love them :thumbs:

CamarosRus 02-10-2019 06:31 PM

Probably should have started a NEW thread.............

1) Anybody have facts/info on removing the calipers from Hoses

and removing/installing guts from Caliper Castings

2) I have source to Clean ,Wash, Shot Blast Calipers IS that enough ???

3) I am planning to look at Prismatic or Cardinal to choose a matching

Powder for my 2012 Inferno Orange GS

4) How do I find Mike or what other West Coast Powder Coat Vendor who
is most reasonable $$$$$$