CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Drive Shaft Markings/Finish (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2814452-drive-shaft-markings-finish.html)

mgoeppert 04-11-2011 07:27 PM

Drive Shaft Markings/Finish

I did the search on the driveshaft finish and natural (nothing) seems to be correct. Are there any factory paint marks on the driveshaft? The guy that owns the shop (old guy) and balances the driveshaft thinks there might be a green mark somewhere on it. Any thoughts, maybe pictures??

65 Roadster
L/79
4-speed
3.55 rear end

4440stevesvette 04-11-2011 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by mgoeppert (Post 1577316929)
I did the search on the driveshaft finish and natural (nothing) seems to be correct. Are there any factory paint marks on the driveshaft? The guy that owns the shop (old guy) and balances the driveshaft thinks there might be a green mark somewhere on it. Any thoughts, maybe pictures??

65 Roadster
L/79
4-speed
3.55 rear end

Driveshafts and halfshafts are a natural finish welded to natural finish forged steel yokes. The weld bead should show a moderate amount of discoloration due to heat from the welding process.

Big block cars use a shot-peened half-shaft and yoke assembly and is so identified with a dab of lime green paint on the shaft.:cheers:

JohnZ 04-12-2011 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by mgoeppert (Post 1577316929)

The GM driveshaft drawing shows no painted rings of any kind on the driveshaft; only a dab of paint or yellow sticker at the extreme rear end of the tube for the light-side balance point to be aligned with the blue paint mark on the pinion yoke. :thumbs:

vt65 04-12-2011 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 4440stevesvette (Post 1577319382)
Driveshafts and halfshafts are a natural finish welded to natural finish forged steel yokes. The weld bead should show a moderate amount of discoloration due to heat from the welding process.

Big block cars use a shot-peened half-shaft and yoke assembly and is so identified with a dab of lime green paint on the shaft.:cheers:

So why are so many of them painted grey?

DansYellow66 04-12-2011 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by vt65 (Post 1577323579)
So why are so many of them painted grey?

Because they are often rusty and pitted from years of service and painting them is an easy means of making them presentable.

vt65 04-12-2011 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by DansYellow66 (Post 1577326966)
Because they are often rusty and pitted from years of service and painting them is an easy means of making them presentable.

well why didn't i think of that!:o