CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Steering Wheel Position?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2815469-steering-wheel-position.html)

Donne Trav 04-13-2011 10:22 AM

Steering Wheel Position??

I had the steering rack & pinion replaced over 2 months ago. Ever since the the first day from repair, I've kinda wondered if the steering wheel was "centered" properly. The steering wheel always appears to be cocked" more to the right slightly than in a centered position. My question is: how can I make sure the steering wheel is perfect "TDC" as it should be and not just my imagination? Thank you.

1998prince 04-13-2011 10:44 AM

Find a nice, long stretch of highway and see if the wheel is straight when cruising. If you're going straight you'll be able to tell if there is a problem. If the wheel is off a bit, once you straighten it, the car should change as well.

Sandpiper59 04-13-2011 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1998prince (Post 1577330978)
Find a nice, long stretch of highway and see if the wheel is straight when cruising. If you're going straight you'll be able to tell if there is a problem. If the wheel is off a bit, once you straighten it, the car should change as well.

Try and find one that is flat side to side too.. If it slopes or has a crown, the wheel will have to be held to one side a tiny bit to correct for that.

Wheel centering is easy and is part of a front end alignment. If it proves to be off, take it back to the shop that installed the rack and aligned the steering in the first place.

1998prince 04-13-2011 01:58 PM

Sorry, I'm in Texas and tend to forget other parts of the country have elevation changes. :hide:

Frizlefrak 04-13-2011 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sandpiper59 (Post 1577331725)
Wheel centering is easy and is part of a front end alignment. If it proves to be off, take it back to the shop that installed the rack and aligned the steering in the first place.

Did you do it or a shop?

If it was a shop that did the rack, they should have done a 4 wheel alignment afterward as part of the procedure. And they should have ensured that the wheel was centered. Take it back and complain.

Frizlefrak 04-13-2011 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1998prince (Post 1577332648)
Sorry, I'm in Texas and tend to forget other parts of the country have elevation changes. :hide:

Funny.....El Paso got the mountain, and the rest of Texas got the trees....:rofl:

PLRX 04-13-2011 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak (Post 1577333175)
Funny.....El Paso got the mountain, and the rest of Texas got the trees....:rofl:

:eek:

Donne Trav 04-15-2011 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sandpiper59 (Post 1577331725)
Try and find one that is flat side to side too.. If it slopes or has a crown, the wheel will have to be held to one side a tiny bit to correct for that.

Are you saying this is not done by removing steering wheel to rotate
it a "cog" or 2 on the gear shaft, but under the hood in the steering
assembly? Thank you for the reply.:thumbs:

Sandpiper59 04-15-2011 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Donne Trav (Post 1577347806)

If it's out by a lot, like a 1/4 turn then it should be pulled it will just need the left and right tie rod ends tweeked. If the wheel is out by say 1" to the right then a couple of threads (toe adjustment) in on one side and out on the other side and you'll be centered.

Turn it full lock each way. If at lock, it is the same angle to each side, then it is centered to the rack and just needs toe correction, if it is different at each stop, then it needs centering on the shaft itself.

LannyL81 04-15-2011 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Donne Trav (Post 1577347806)

The steering wheel will only go onto the shaft in one position...so no you cannot move it a cog or two.

Adjustment is through tweaking the outer tie rod ends.
Lift front of car so tires are off ground.
Turn wheel full left...use something to reference a point on the wheel...turn wheel full right and note position with respect to reference point.
Center is exactly in the middle.

Will probably take a few cycles to find the exact center. Use masking tape on the wheel and column to make an alignment mark....take back to shop or just have an alignment done and make sure they center the wheel.

Sandpiper59 04-15-2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by LannyL81 (Post 1577348075)
The steering wheel will only go onto the shaft in one position...so no you cannot move it a cog or two.

Mine will go on in any rotation and mesh fine. None the less, same thing I said, tie rod end adjustments..

socal_tom 09-24-2022 05:45 PM

New wheel

Hey guys look at my new custom wheel. Takes a long time to get but worth the wait
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...4d9083ee8c.png
Here is my new wheel

WVZR-1 09-24-2022 07:26 PM

^^^^^^

Of what 'significance' is this post to a thread that's 10+ years old that had nothing to do with 'appearance', just 'centering'? A post in the wrong 'Generation Forum' for sure. What do I think of your new wheel? Your $$$ so .......................................

CorvetteRules 09-24-2022 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 1605715311)
^^^^^^

Of what 'significance' is this post to a thread that's 10+ years old that had nothing to do with 'appearance', just 'centering'? A post in the wrong 'Generation Forum' for sure. What do I think of your new wheel? Your $$$ so .......................................

He is so proud probably posted on all generation sections. :lurk:

socal_tom 09-24-2022 11:52 PM

He I posted in the wrong section excuse me

MatthewMiller 09-26-2022 10:55 PM

You guys know that this forum has the "related thread" feature at the bottom of the threads. Well, less of a feature and more of a bug: it makes it a lot easier to accidentally scroll to the bottom and post in some old thread that's only tangentially related.

ZumpC4 09-26-2022 11:15 PM