CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   [Z06] c5 z06 weight reduction thread? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2823675-c5-z06-weight-reduction-thread.html)

zr-1 guy 04-25-2011 08:45 PM

c5 z06 weight reduction thread?

I saw poking around the c6 z06 section and i saw that they have a break down of parts oem and aftermarket and their weights, and I was wondering if there was a list for the c5 zo6 like this http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ight-list.html

just inc 04-25-2011 09:55 PM

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ngths-etc.html

just inc 04-25-2011 09:57 PM

This guy took it to the next level

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ngths-etc.html

zr-1 guy 04-25-2011 10:03 PM

thanks

LSOHOLIC 04-25-2011 11:07 PM

Mine weights 2880lbs, and not gutted at all !! Matter of fact the only change to the interior is a seat upgrade with brackets.

I don't find it hard to cut weight on a car that came from the factory weighting 3050 give or take 10lbs.

'04 C5Z;
1)aluminum flywheel
2)air pump delete
3)LT's, X-pipe, no-cats,
4)homemade catback with bullets (7lbs each), just straight over the axle to the tips, Five pounds lighter than the factory Ti.
5)ACP hood
6)Braile knock-off
7)FX Pro 1's with aluminum frames
8)Nitto NT-O5's on factory ALCOA's
9)Depo's

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but thats all I can remember right now...but lighter rotors are next..maybe. Keep that rotating mass LOW !!

This was weighted at the local certified CAT scale. I would assume it to be accurate within 10lbs. Understand this was with about 2 gal of fuel or less and everything removed like floor mats and washer fluid. I wanted to see how light I could get it. I find it kind of simple, you take care of the ounces and the pounds take care of them selves. Example; when I was putting the exhaust on they sent 6 of these big splice clamps for the exhaust junctions. I decided to tack it instead, after weighting the clamps (combined weight of the clamps was like 12lbs).

Thanks......and I really haven't tried CUT weight yet. These are just typical mods done with weight in mind.

LSOHOLIC 04-27-2011 09:21 AM

I should have my drag pack finished by mid summer. Which should get me in the 3000lb range with me in the car. I'm a buck 65. You guys would be amazed at the level of performance cutting weight makes.

just inc 04-27-2011 09:31 AM

I have a set of gto spares/skinnies that I got for the track (havent got to go yet) but they are 50lbs lighter than my street setup. I drove around on the street to try them out and I could tell a difference for sure!

just inc 04-27-2011 09:33 AM

I also run a lightweight battery for daily use. Its a Deka ETX14 = 11.5lbs

LSOHOLIC 04-27-2011 11:38 AM

Yeah...that's the same battery I run also. I just referr to it as a Brailie knock-off. I'm sending a pair of extra C5Z fronts wheels (17x9.5) to NJWW to be narrowed to 17x5. It will match the back wheels and look stealth. Meaning unless I had the wheel turned you really can't tell the are skinnys. And fittment is not problem since there factory wheels.

Thanks..

just inc 04-27-2011 02:49 PM

I figured you were talking about a Deka when you said brailie knock off. Having the matching rims narrowed is the best way to go if you can get it done for a decent price. My next weight reduction will be getting lighter rims all the way around (my car came with heavy repos on it)

RC45 04-27-2011 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC (Post 1577444797)
Mine weights 2880lbs, and not gutted at all !! Matter of fact the only change to the interior is a seat upgrade with brackets.

I don't find it hard to cut weight on a car that came from the factory weighting 3050 give or take 10lbs.

'04 C5Z;
1)aluminum flywheel
2)air pump delete
3)LT's, X-pipe, no-cats,
4)homemade catback with bullets (7lbs each), just straight over the axle to the tips, Five pounds lighter than the factory Ti.
5)ACP hood
6)Braile knock-off
7)FX Pro 1's with aluminum frames
8)Nitto NT-O5's on factory ALCOA's
9)Depo's

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but thats all I can remember right now...but lighter rotors are next..maybe. Keep that rotating mass LOW !!

This was weighted at the local certified CAT scale. I would assume it to be accurate within 10lbs. Understand this was with about 2 gal of fuel or less and everything removed like floor mats and washer fluid. I wanted to see how light I could get it. I find it kind of simple, you take care of the ounces and the pounds take care of them selves. Example; when I was putting the exhaust on they sent 6 of these big splice clamps for the exhaust junctions. I decided to tack it instead, after weighting the clamps (combined weight of the clamps was like 12lbs).

Thanks......and I really haven't tried CUT weight yet. These are just typical mods done with weight in mind.

2880lbs estimate or corner weight numbers?

just inc 04-27-2011 03:12 PM

This might not work for you guys but you can remove the passenger seat (=30lbs ) plus the old lady (= ???lbs) can't ride!

Z06 LUST 04-28-2011 06:56 PM

This is a subject that really interests me, and I have searched numerous threads looking for info on what could be pulled out for a weight saving.

Still looking for a C5Z, but sooner or later I'll be able to afford to import one!! :thumbs:

2880lbs estimate or corner weight numbers?
I know, this sounds low for a car that isn't stripped, but I do belive it is possible.

The Z is ment to be a curb weight of around 3115 lb give or take a few lb for a a couple of differences such as HUD etc

This is with full fluids, so a full tank of fuel, which holds 110 lb of gas when full. Only ever have a 1/4 tank and you've already shaved 80lb off the curb weight.

!AIR -5 lb
Odyssey battery -20 lb
!No washer fluid -5 lb
1/4 tank of fuel 80 lb
!Remove pass seat -30 lb
Clutch -10 lb
Carbon hood -10 lb
!Remove AC -30 lb
!Remove Carpet / headliner / hood liner -40 lb
!Door panels -12 lb
Lightweight Alternator -10 lb
Discs -5 lb
Aluminum Flywheel -10 lb
LT & X with cats -10 lb
Total = 277 lb

These theroetically could make a curb weight of 2838 lb, but personally some of these I wouldn't be prepared to do. Plus there are many other (some very expensive) listed in the links above. I agree it is easier to add hp than cut weight, but compaired to some other cars, 3115 lb is actually a bit on the lardy side.... (MR2, RX7, Lotus, TVR, Noble, Ultima all under 2800 lb, some considerably so).

And of course, I'm currently doing the !tubby driver mod lol, lost 6 lb in the last couple of months, and plan on shedding another 8 lb to reach my target....

LSOHOLIC 04-28-2011 08:05 PM

Hey RC45, I'm a huge fan of your car and everything you've done to it. The 2880 is a exact weight that the Catapiller official scale said. DOT certified scale. I've used the scale for all my mods and it seems to respond in kind. I have several carbon copy's of the weight slip that I could scan and post. If the weight be legitament is in question. I would love to get a corner weight on it but not sure where to get that done in my area.

Thanks...

RC45 04-28-2011 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC (Post 1577472561)
Hey RC45, I'm a huge fan of your car and everything you've done to it. The 2880 is a exact weight that the Catapiller official scale said. DOT certified scale. I've used the scale for all my mods and it seems to respond in kind. I have several carbon copy's of the weight slip that I could scan and post. If the weight be legitament is in question. I would love to get a corner weight on it but not sure where to get that done in my area.

Thanks...

Thanks for the props.

How much gas in the tank at 2880?

NemesisC5 04-28-2011 11:46 PM

subscribed

AU N EGL 04-29-2011 07:37 AM

Remove speakers
Remove radio
Remove passanger air bag and frame
Replace steering wheel ( which removes drive air bag )
remove door glass and motors.
remove door pannels

The weight can get down there.

However, safety issues are important

Many racers get that weight down to the 2900 so when the roll cage goes in the car is at 31-3200 lbs.

The add ballast to where ever it is needed to corner balance with drivers weight in the drivers seat.

LSOHOLIC 04-29-2011 02:21 PM

The reserve light was on when I weighted her. I have my fingers crossed, when I put the drag pack on I'm hoping for 3000lbs with me. When I'm not at the track or prowling on Friday nights for viper and stangs shes wearing the stock 17-18 speedlines with 275-295 NT-05's. So without the drag pack she's closer to 3050 with me a 3 or 4 gallons of fuel.

She's a full H/C/I car with a little spray. Will be dynoing her at Dallas Performance soon and will post the numbers. Should be in the 500ish range to the tire plus a little "150" spray. Would love to get a new time on her at the track but the rear is not up to the task. That's the winter project. Full C6Z stuff in the rear with 4.10's and a ECS brace. With the 4.10's she should be pretty fun.

I deffenitly open to shedding more weight but....not willing to gut it or get rid of any creature comforts.

mountainbiker2 04-29-2011 09:53 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Mines #2740 1/8 tank. The only items left is the windshield, smog pump, and windshield wiper motor. Everything else has been removed or changed.
Attachment 48181450
Attachment 48181451
Attachment 48181452
Attachment 48181453
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...2/P1010700.jpg
Attachment 48181454
Attachment 48181455

Steve A.

zr-1 guy 04-29-2011 10:44 PM

nice work steve, but that's a little more extreme then i'd want to go