CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   What new Corvette is going to be built @ BG's new line? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2828987-what-new-corvette-is-going-to-be-built-bgs-new-line.html)

vettedoogie 05-03-2011 11:26 PM

What new Corvette is going to be built @ BG's new line?

I'm guessing it will be a redo of the Saturn Skye under the Corvette banner with a TT Six or a small V8. Coupe and convertible.

Gary '09 C6 05-03-2011 11:34 PM

along these lines...perhaps an entry-level "baby-Corvette" similar in body size to the C1, but obviously with modern
engine & running gear...for $25K--$30K o-t-d ?

that would be the missing marketing niche that some have discussed here on the CF...

if all true, I think it's a very good way to attract younger Corvette buyers needing (mostly) a less expensive model.

vettedoogie 05-03-2011 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6 (Post 1577519236)
along these lines...perhaps an entry-level "baby-Corvette" similar in body size to the C1, but obviously with modern
engine & running gear...for $25K--$30K o-t-d ?

that would be the missing marketing niche that many have discussed here on the CF...

if all true, I think it's a very good idea to attract younger Corvette buyers needing (mostly) a less expensive model.

While I would love nothing more than a modern version of this for myself...I doubt this would appeal to younger folk.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...Lngs3rqoITpsFA

Gary '09 C6 05-03-2011 11:49 PM

I was only thinking of the Saturn Skye as similar in size (not looks) to the C1 body style...
I do agree with you that the C1 styling would likely not appeal to the younger generation.

GS-Zero 05-03-2011 11:53 PM

They're going to build a cheap Corvette? I wonder if that'll devalue our C6s...

vettedoogie 05-03-2011 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6 (Post 1577519354)
I was only thinking of the Saturn Skye as similar in size (not looks) to the C1 body style...
I do agree with you that the C1 styling would likely not appeal to the younger generation.

Yeah the Skye was kinda like a mini Vette...I like the booty on this one...
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezwe...cd_gallery.jpg
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezwe...cd_gallery.jpg

C-INRED 05-04-2011 12:04 AM

Who said they are going to build another Corvette product? The press release stated that "another vehicle product" would be "brought" to the Bowling Green plant. That suggests to me that they will begin producing another existing vehicle at the Corvette plant to increase production and presumably make the plant more efficient. Just my guess though, we'll find out tomorrow.

Gary '09 C6 05-04-2011 12:07 AM

weren't the Saturn Skye and the Pontiac Solstice based on the same platform ?
I thought both of those roadsters were appealing for their segment...

but maybe both were overpriced since neither sold all that well ?

carnutsx2 05-04-2011 12:10 AM

I think the Corvette line will have three cars
1: v-6, turbo four, much like the Sky, a Chevy but not using the Corvette name( think Boxter)
2: base car with two motor options , base and Z06
3: top level car to be a P and F car fighter ( I think this will be in the C7)

vettedoogie 05-04-2011 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6 (Post 1577519478)
weren't the Saturn Skye and the Pontiac Solstice based on the same platform ?
I thought both of those roadsters were appealing for their segment...

but maybe both were overpriced since neither sold all that well ?

Yeah...they were the same basic car to the best of my knowledge.

I'd think they might want to compete with the Miata/Nissan Z...who knows?

sublime1996525 05-04-2011 12:25 AM

I believe GM wanted to continue the Sky/Soltice models. They looked good, performed well, and did good on sales.

Gary '09 C6 05-04-2011 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by sublime1996525 (Post 1577519584)
I believe GM wanted to continue the Sky/Soltice models. They looked good, performed well, and did good on sales.

if so, resurrecting those two models at the BG facility could make economic sense, since neither
is a "mass volume" seller but completes a specialty niche...and won't impede Corvette production
capacity if the latter sees an increase in sales.

Russell ZR1 05-04-2011 12:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by GS-Zero (Post 1577519386)
They're going to build a cheap Corvette? I wonder if that'll devalue our C6s...

this is the only cheap "copy look alike" corvette i can think of, they are going to make this at BG?

Gary '09 C6 05-04-2011 12:35 AM

...and remember the Saab Sonnett ?

HOXXOH 05-04-2011 12:50 AM

The Sky/Soltice were built in the same NJ plant. If GM, who looked and didn't find a buyer, wanted to revive those cars it would be there and not in KY.

It certainly makes no sense to build a Corvette sibling/competitor with the present sales so low.

Switching the location of a current model is not a financially sound move either.

The only thing left, and the logic follows, is to build a new model of a car that is yet to be introduced. This is not happening in the Corvette building, but in a whole new facility. My guess is they're preparing to ramp up something similar to the Volt.

Joe_Planet 05-04-2011 12:55 AM

I drove a turbo solstice. By far this was the worst car I have ever driven.

...EVER!

><

JLinCA 05-04-2011 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet (Post 1577519710)

...EVER!

><

For what reasons?

Jofu 05-04-2011 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet (Post 1577519710)

...EVER!

><

Clearly you've never driven my 2001 Toyota Corolla :rofl:

Geoff

vettedoogie 05-04-2011 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by HOXXOH (Post 1577519692)
The Sky/Soltice were built in the same NJ plant. If GM, who looked and didn't find a buyer, wanted to revive those cars it would be there and not in KY.

It certainly makes no sense to build a Corvette sibling/competitor with the present sales so low.

Switching the location of a current model is not a financially sound move either.

The only thing left, and the logic follows, is to build a new model of a car that is yet to be introduced. This is not happening in the Corvette building, but in a whole new facility. My guess is they're preparing to ramp up something similar to the Volt.

But the plan was to do just that. The BG plant was going to be the new home of the Skye/Solstice. That was the plan that was in the works, from what I recall. I mean they certainly don't need more capacity for the existing Corvette.

It makes some sense that it will be a new Corvette product especially given that

GM said the announcement is a “positive news announcement for the plant and Corvette lovers.

fyreline 05-04-2011 07:42 AM

Build the revived Solstice/Skye at BG, in both the coupe and roadster versions. Call it the Chevrolet Monza.