CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Washed my key fob (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2836689-washed-my-key-fob.html)

Scooty Puff Sr. 05-15-2011 05:04 PM

Washed my key fob

Anyone else wash their key fob? Evidently I did and evidently that wasn't the thing to do. Any suggestions on how I can resurrect it?

smurfkiller 05-15-2011 05:07 PM

dry it out completely, change batts, and try it out.

Torchsport 05-15-2011 05:11 PM

Dissasemble it and let it dry for a few hrs.

drclaw 05-15-2011 05:13 PM

Once you remove the battery, seal it in a zip-loc bag with a desiccant (if you don't have a desiccant, you can use some rice). The desiccant will absorb any remaining moisture. The next morning, drop a new battery in and see if it works.

By the way, great screen name! Love Futurama!

vettedoogie 05-15-2011 05:16 PM

Well, I'd open it up, take out the battery, and use a hair dryer on it.
Tomorrow, put the battery back in and try it. If it doesn't work, get a new battery. I'd be surprised if it got very wet inside as they are pretty well sealed.

sqchram 05-15-2011 05:19 PM

Submerge/ douse in rubbing alcohol 90% if you can get it. Work it in there to work out the corrosive water. Then disassemble if you can or let thoroughly dry. Battery should be out for all of this. Thoroughly dry is maybe a few days just sitting or overnight with a fan.

EDinPA 05-15-2011 05:21 PM

I did it once.

It's not just the water that is a problem. It's also the minerals in the water that remain when the water evaporates. I did not have any distilled water to rinse it with so I used some rubbing alcohol and let it dry overnight. That was about a year ago and no problems yet.

Scooty Puff Sr. 05-15-2011 05:34 PM

Thank you so much for all the advice. Off I go to implement. Much appreciated for all the suggestions.

Scooty Puff Sr. 05-15-2011 05:41 PM

Ok, so what is the best way to disassemble the fob without destroying it? I don't think the mallet I have is the solution.

Never mind, I figured it out.

southerncarparts 05-15-2011 05:44 PM

Everybody here sounds like they've got the right idea! Pop it apart and get it dry, without the battery in it, then after everything is bone dry- pop it together and give it a shot! Good luck!

vettedoogie 05-15-2011 05:45 PM

A wide screwdriver in the gap. Just wiggle it til it starts to open up.

Mez 05-15-2011 05:53 PM

Today's electronics are pretty tough. You need to get all the water and mineral deposits off the board or there will be shorts. Scrub the circuit board with a tooth brush and denatured alcohol, blow dry, and you should be fine.

vettedoogie 05-15-2011 05:56 PM

I'd really like to know if it got wet in there, once you get it opened. I would guess the seal is pretty good.

Steve D 05-15-2011 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Sr. (Post 1577622687)
Anyone else wash their key fob? Evidently I did and evidently that wasn't the thing to do. Any suggestions on how I can resurrect it?

Scooty, I know this doesn't answer your question, but I got two fobs when I bought my car new in 2008. I hope you're not just sitting with one.

BTW, I got in my car yesterday after getting coffee, pushed the ingnition button and the readout said: FOB Not Detected ... oh shxxxxt! Dead battery.
The other Fob was in my lockbox at home :ack:

Thrill6 05-15-2011 07:05 PM

Do NOT scrub or wash the circuit boards with anything including alcohol!!!!! If the water didn't short it out, scrubing or washing it can cause a static buildup and short the electrical parts You are about 100 times more likely to kill it with static electricity than by leaving "mineral deposits" on the surface of the parts. :willy:

Wear rubber soled shoes in your KITCHEN and ground yourself first by touching a metal appliance (like your stove) and then take apart the fob by removing the key ring. There is a slot to insert a quarter which you can use to leverage the two halves apart. Remove the battery and take out the electronic parts. If it is really wet inside, use a cotton cloth to dap the electrical parts to absorb any standing water. Don't worry if it is still damp. Remove the rubber insert and dry as well as the two case halves. Leave everything on kitchen counter to air dry overnight, and reassemble. If the battery is wet, it can short out and die. If after reassembly, if it doesn't work replace the battery and try again.

stingrayl76 05-15-2011 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Steve D (Post 1577623296)
Scooty, I know this doesn't answer your question, but I got two fobs when I bought my car new in 2008. I hope you're not just sitting with one.

BTW, I got in my car yesterday after getting coffee, pushed the ingnition button and the readout said: FOB Not Detected ... oh shxxxxt! Dead battery.
The other Fob was in my lockbox at home :ack:

When your fob battery dies, open the glove box and slip the fob into the slot located on the left side and push the start button. There are contacts in there that will power the fob from the car battery.:thumbs:

4thC4at60 05-15-2011 08:02 PM

Ah, you're just getting started.

Over the past five years mine's been washed three times never with any ill-effects.

Scooty Puff Sr. 05-15-2011 08:05 PM

thanks all, I have it apart drying quietly in atop a pile of rice in a zip lock bag. There was water in the fob when I got it apart. Let's see what the marrow brings.

bigblock427 05-15-2011 08:08 PM

I washed mine (by accident). I just took it apart and dried it with a hair dryer. I have not had any problems with it since.

Cherokee Nation 05-15-2011 08:39 PM

Go to Radio Shack & get a can of electronic cleaner & clean it,then dry it with a hair dryer ,& you will be ready to go in 10 minutes.