CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Does anyone hide a spare key under their Corvette?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2838916-does-anyone-hide-a-spare-key-under-their-corvette.html)

mazurekd 05-18-2011 10:24 PM

Does anyone hide a spare key under their Corvette??

Not the whole FOB mind you, just the key. I plan on getting a duplicate key made from the one in the FOB, and then hide it beneath the car. Then if I misplace the FOB when I am not at home, and I don't have phone access (either the phone is locked in the car, or I forget OnStar’s number, or don't renew OnStar), I have a 'hard' key to get me in the hatch.

Make sense? (I'm a newbie with Corvettes.)

vettedoogie 05-18-2011 10:26 PM

Never....keep a spare in my wallet if anywhere. Otherwise always attached to my fob.

u1arunit 05-18-2011 10:27 PM

Nope!

Raazor 05-18-2011 10:28 PM

neither. however i do keep whiskey in the window washer reservoir. i have it piped into the cabin right near the cup holder.

brooklync5 05-18-2011 10:28 PM

Wallet sounds best

smurfkiller 05-18-2011 10:35 PM

sure why not no one will ever know its there. not like they can steal your car with just the key anyway.

i done same thing with most my cars. on my s10 i shaved the door handles. so there is a second set of wires that go to the release solenoid for door latch that come out under truck. i keep a 9 volt batt under the truck, so if the batt dies or the batt in remote dies i can touch the 9v to the wires and pop the door. had to use it once in 4 years. but its better than breaking a window. you cant call a locksmith when you have no door handles!!

RAGGDOLL 05-18-2011 10:39 PM

You bet, plus spare fob is tucked away inside the car. Got stuck once, never again!

fnsblum 05-18-2011 10:44 PM

Both on the car and in my wallet. Later! Frank

Just Buy It 05-18-2011 10:58 PM

No, but now I will wish I did! Keep the fob in your pocket and all will be well.

vettedoogie 05-18-2011 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Raazor (Post 1577653321)
neither. however i do keep whiskey in the window washer reservoir. i have it piped into the cabin right near the cup holder.

Buzzed!!
:cheers:
http://www.federatedmedia.net/blog/w...5/dead_bee.gif

lh4x4 05-18-2011 11:35 PM

Not me.

kingdady 05-18-2011 11:37 PM

who ever does .. please post your address.. i can use a few new parts

bdanyluk 05-19-2011 01:28 AM

Never!

Also, I HIGHLY recommend the RAVELCO setup.

Have it on my 2 prized possessions....great piece of mind.

Only way to steal the car is on a lift....near impossible to hot-wire.

designerRob 05-19-2011 07:12 AM

No spare key for me. I always keep my fob & key in my pocket. I'd have to forget my pants to get locked out. :D

FloridaGrandSport 05-19-2011 09:03 AM

For some reason those magnetic key holders won't stick to my C6's bumper and I keep losing them.

Surf Island 05-19-2011 09:14 AM

For those who utilize a spare key, would you please include where you might leave your car unattended? :hide:

j_digi454 05-19-2011 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by vettedoogie (Post 1577653294)
....keep a spare in my wallet if anywhere.

Originally Posted by Surf Island (Post 1577655770)
For those who utilize a spare key, would you please include where you might leave your car unattended?

:iagree: I keep the spare key in my wallet. It has nothing to do where my Vette might be "unattended" but to allow me to get in if the battery goes dead or I inadvertently lock the Fob in the hatch area. It has been know to happen, do a search to see how many it has happened to.

Scotten 05-19-2011 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by kingdady (Post 1577653977)
who ever does .. please post your address.. i can use a few new parts

Ditto!

:D

mazurekd 05-19-2011 10:32 AM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the magnetic holders won't work on the body panels, but there are alternative methods of attachment, and I don't have the aluminum frame. I have found that the FOB can fall out of my pocket, especially wearing sweat pants going to the gym - twice! Plus while exiting the car, I somehow depressed the alarm button, while in my pocket - again, twice. (I've had the car less than a month.) Because of those issues, I am temped to put the FOB in the console, but that is where it would be easily forgotten. Same goes for the wallet. That too can be easily left in a locked car. Usually right next to the FOB. So what good is the spare in there?

Vega$Vette 05-19-2011 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by mazurekd (Post 1577656445)
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the magnetic holders won't work on the body panels, but there are alternative methods of attachment, and I don't have the aluminum frame. I have found that the FOB can fall out of my pocket, especially wearing sweat pants going to the gym - twice! Plus while exiting the car, I somehow depressed the alarm button, while in my pocket - again, twice. (I've had the car less than a month.) Because of those issues, I am temped to put the FOB in the console, but that is where it would be easily forgotten. Same goes for the wallet. That too can be easily left in a locked car. Usually right next to the FOB. So what good is the spare in there?

Fob is the console will not unlock doors. I found that out right after I bought my Z

I strongly suggest hiding a key.

Duct taped to the back of the plate works. In a bind all you have to do is unscrew the plate. Better then crawling under the car in the dark. :cheers: