CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Resetting the ECM? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2840315-resetting-the-ecm.html)

silverja 05-21-2011 03:38 PM

Resetting the ECM?

Hello,

I checked the search archives but was unsuccessful. Would someone recall the proper procedure for resetting the ECM? I had the intake gasket replaced on my '87 and the battery was disconnected. The cold idle is mow erratic / surging and the normal idle is high. I was told it will take awhile for the computer to reprogram itself. I do recall a few years back a procedure on resetting the ECM.

Thank you in advance.

tehcarguy 05-21-2011 04:03 PM

That is how you reset the ECM, by disconnecting the battery. Make sure you didn't leave something unplugged, or you accidently left out a vacuum line or left one disconnected.

vader86 05-21-2011 04:30 PM

No, no procedure. Just disconnect the battery and reconnect. It'll learn things again within just a few miles.

Sounds to me that you need to check the TPS voltage first, then the IAC may need cleaning.

silverja 05-21-2011 05:39 PM

Thank you.

Originally Posted by vader86 (Post 1577674607)
No, no procedure. Just disconnect the battery and reconnect. It'll learn things again within just a few miles.

Sounds to me that you need to check the TPS voltage first, then the IAC may need cleaning.

Thank you. I will try those suggestions.

aklim 05-23-2011 02:12 PM

In my car, I would hook up a timing light to make sure the timing is on first. Also check fuel pressure. After that, clean the TB throughly and this means taking off the IAC housing and the IAC for cleaning. After that, reset the min idle via the IAC counts on a scanner. After that, set TPS

redrose 05-23-2011 02:27 PM

unhooking the battery will clear codes and some bits of memory...'hard reset' is done by 'key on/do not start' for 15 sec, then 'key off' for 15 sec, repeat...i do three cycles on/off for 'fuzzy warm'.

'hard reset' returns all to 'base values'.

Muffin 05-23-2011 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by redrose (Post 1577688892)
unhooking the battery will clear codes and some bits of memory...'hard reset' is done by 'key on/do not start' for 15 sec, then 'key off' for 15 sec, repeat...i do three cycles on/off for 'fuzzy warm'.

Would like to see some tech references to this. What you lose is the short term fuel trim. Drive it normally for a few miles and it will "relearn".

silverja 05-25-2011 01:34 PM

Thank you

Originally Posted by redrose (Post 1577688892)

I'll give it a try. Thanks.