CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   C6 H-Pipe Owners??? X-Pipe Difference (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2841180-c6-h-pipe-owners-x-pipe-difference.html)

Ahmer 05-22-2011 10:59 PM

C6 H-Pipe Owners??? X-Pipe Difference

My final mod to my exhaust is about to be complete I hope... I ordered a GM High Flow X-pipe Part Number: 19154781 from ebay and am curious what differences will I see. I noticed my car definitely pops alot after I installed a Z06 Dual Mode (W/ Muffler Mod). I figured by placing an X-pipe, I will get a cleaner exhaust note?

Thoughts?

I'm not looking into performance, just better sound...

Ahmer 05-23-2011 02:45 AM

I guess noone wants to chime in.

2009CSR #45 05-23-2011 03:08 AM

The popping/ gurgling is still going to be there, x-pipe or h-pipe. It's coming from having the bi-mode valves open at low RPMS. Not that there's anything wrong with that. The x-pipe will definately change your exhaust tone (@ 6000 rpms it sounds like pure heaven). If you're buying it for sound alone it's a good buy. I personally like running x-pipes over h's.

brooklync5 05-23-2011 03:11 AM

I use the x-pipe with my npp. I never used the h pipe with it however. I can tell you that the pop and rumble will still be there if the valves are open. If you don't like the pop and gurgle add npp in a box. This will allow you to contol the valves as you see fit. When open it will sound nice and loud but when closed you won't hear a thing. Adding npp in a box was the best move I made along with the npp.

FloydSummerOf68 05-23-2011 10:09 AM

In general I prefer the sound of H-Pipes. Tend to be deeper tone in my experience.

lebvette 05-23-2011 05:08 PM

I changed from H to X, and really couldn't tell much difference. I'm sure there's a difference....just don't expect too much.

Larry

not08crmanymore 05-23-2011 05:21 PM

As with everything else Corvette,X PIPES are highly over rated.Either one works and works well.

scootertrash19 05-23-2011 09:40 PM

When I had my axle back mufflers and tips installed, I asked the installer, if a x-pipe would make a difference in sound and performance, he said only slight sound difference, and only performance gain would show on a dyno sheet, probably wouldnt notice driving. So I am holding off on buying one for now. They do look like the x would flow better??? Post up your feelings after install!!!

black783 05-23-2011 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by scootertrash19 (Post 1577692838)
When I had my axle back mufflers and tips installed, I asked the installer, if a x-pipe would make a difference in sound and performance, he said only slight sound difference, and only performance gain would show on a dyno sheet, probably wouldnt notice driving. So I am holding off on buying one for now. They do look like the x would flow better??? Post up your feelings after install!!!

They would only make a performance difference as part of a complete package, meaning if you added cold air induction, headers,high flow CATS with a Tune. Now your talking!

keyplyr 05-24-2011 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by lebvette (Post 1577690318)
I changed from H to X, and really couldn't tell much difference.

:iagree:

I was one who fell for this scam. According to people on this forum, I just had to get the x-pipe... what a bunch of BS. There's no difference in sound or performance. Just a lighter wallet. Tossed the x-pipe anyway when I got headers.

Ahmer 05-24-2011 02:54 AM

Oh man... its too late. I'm getting this shipped in. I paid 118 Shipped.

Apparently its a GM High Flow After Market X-pipe, whatever that means.

6Speeder 05-24-2011 08:47 AM

My experience with X pipes on two Corvettes, a C5 and a C6 Z06 is that the X pipe does change the sound, it mixes the left and right exhaust better, and it does sound more like an exotic, kinda 12 cylinder like. It's like you are hearing the 8 cylinders, but also the same, slightly delayed, or multiplied. It's like a higher frequency harmonic. It is slightly higher pitched than a H pipe car.

That being said, if that's all you are doing to the exhaust, I don't know if you'll hear much difference. Mine are headers, cat delete cars, and I drive the Z with the NPP open almost all the time.

tim414 05-24-2011 08:50 AM

I LIKE it better than my H-pipe....I AM going to change it on my 'Z....

FloydSummerOf68 05-24-2011 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ahmer (Post 1577694628)
Oh man... its too late. I'm getting this shipped in. I paid 118 Shipped.

Apparently its a GM High Flow After Market X-pipe, whatever that means.

Well for 118 bucks you aren't out much money, but don't expect it to really do anything either.

brooklync5 05-24-2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68 (Post 1577695689)
Well for 118 bucks you aren't out much money, but don't expect it to really do anything either.

I respectfully disagree. I just heard npp with the standard h-pipe on a buddy's car and then compared it to mine with the x-pipe and there is a difference. While it's not a HUGE difference it is significant with my car sounding "smoother". I couldn't find another word to describe it.

Tim Coltrain 05-24-2011 02:17 PM

H to X

I changed from H to X, and really couldn't tell much difference. I'm sure there's a difference like in the gurggle a little bit.

TIM$VETT

Ahmer 05-27-2011 06:44 PM

Ok. I got dooped. He sent me an H-pipe. The same one I already haave on my car. Now I have to send it back and I am losing money on this for shipping...

brooklync5 05-27-2011 07:22 PM

Well that's not ok. Dispute that charge if you used our credit card. You shouldnt have to pay to return something you didn't order.

starr719 05-28-2011 02:13 PM

I had my doubts about switching after reading a lot of the threads and almost didn't do it. Deciding to try it anyway, with the idea that I could always change back and sell.

Well, the X-pipe went on this morning. Huge difference with reducing drone from the Magnaflows. I also don't hear the gurgle and pop as pronounced as with the H. Exhaust is still loud but now sounds so much more 'smoother' than before.

Ahmer 05-28-2011 02:34 PM

Awesome. I wish I had an X-pipe. Anyone else out there. Just lost $50 worth of shipping this guy's H-Pipe back...