CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Paint Brake Calipers or Buy Caliper Covers?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2841310-paint-brake-calipers-or-buy-caliper-covers.html)

DevilMan02 05-23-2011 09:37 AM

Paint Brake Calipers or Buy Caliper Covers??

I'm not able to powdercoat my brakes because of cost and namely because I DD my car and can't wait around a few days or weeks to have them done.

I'm doing a huge brake overhaul with GM Performance rotors, hawk HPS pads, and Stoptech braided steel lines. I figured while I'm under there I should do something with the calipers as well to get rid of that cement gray color.

I could paint the calipers with G2 or POR-15 which is rather inexpensive but requires a lot of prepwork if you want it done right so it'll last. The only downside is after a while the brake dust that builds on it and the sun/heat here in South FL can weaken the paint.

http://www.xmotorsports.com/images/d...d/0/2007_1.jpg

OR I could buy a set of MGP's $200 brake caliper covers--which seems a bit expensive for four thin, painted metal pieces...but supposedly it helps keep calipers cool, looks like you've got custom calipers, and will supposedly last a lot longer. I'd plan to purchase the ones that say Corvette instead of MGP.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/attach...e-close-up.jpg

http://www.c5racer.com/catalog/image...er-covers4.jpg

Here's their install video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQgrWW8z-68

What are your thoughts?:smash:

Cybermind 05-23-2011 09:47 AM

I was thinking about the covers but, I just can't get past the fact that they're meant to make your car look like it has something that it does not. Once I saw fake Brembo caliper covers on a ricer Honda, that was it for me.

I'm actually thinking of polishing the calipers to bring out the polished aluminum look.

romeospete 05-23-2011 09:51 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I personally don't like the metal covers. I think the painted stock calipers look tons better. I would paint the ones you have.

Here are mine that I removed from the car, taped off, painted, and then sanded off the "CORVETTE" with fine sandpaper and a block of wood:

DevilMan02 05-23-2011 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Cybermind (Post 1577686502)
I was thinking about the covers but, I just can't get past the fact that they're meant to make your car look like it has something that it does not. Once I saw fake Brembo caliper covers on a ricer Honda, that was it for me.

I'm actually thinking of polishing the calipers to bring out the polished aluminum look.

Yeah I saw those plastic ones too--can you believe people GLUE them on? :crazy2:

Originally Posted by romeospete (Post 1577686532)
I personally don't like the metal covers. I think the painted stock calipers look tons better. I would paint the ones you have.

Here are mine that I removed from the car, taped off, painted, and then sanded off the "CORVETTE" with fine sandpaper and a block of wood:

I like those a lot more than the metal covers too, but the problem is everything that's new looks good. I'm focused on the long haul. What will those calipers look like on a daily driven car in the next two or three years?

I'd go with painting or powdercoating if my car was a garage queen or if I had the time to let her sit in a garage torn a part for a few weeks but I simply don't have that option. :(

JW Motorsports 05-23-2011 10:08 AM

Most hate on the covers, but they actually look good in person. I saw some this weekend at a show.

I choose paint. It's too easy to do and the price is right.

Kale 05-23-2011 10:11 AM

Those caliper covers are tacky as hell. Go with paint on the cheap.

You can get powdercoated calipers to you - advanced exchange.

DevilMan02 05-23-2011 10:18 AM

I got a quote for $200 to have the calipers removed, prepped, and painted by my local shop. They're good and I'm sure they'll do a nice job but now I see why the covers are priced as such. I thought it would be a lot cheaper to have them painted, but I guess it's not.

I don't have access to a garage or a space I can work on the car so painting the calipers myself isn't possible at this point in time.

I haven't seen the covers in person--but I tend to lean towards the "tacky" opinion as well.

ricknyc23 05-23-2011 10:40 AM

paint

BitViper 05-23-2011 11:01 AM

I think what most hate about the covers is that they painted on the bolts.... Thats cheezie..

What I would do is buy a set.. have thoes repainted or better yet polished out.. that would look a whole lot better..

Kale 05-23-2011 11:09 AM

Yep, if the caliper covers had actual bolt heads - you know looked more like a caliper and less like a playschool item (which it should for the cost) then it might be pretty cool.

tremor1 05-23-2011 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ricknyc23 (Post 1577686875)
paint

Yep. :iagree:

Chicago 05-23-2011 11:17 AM

Go to Home Cheapo, buy some Rustoleum and a brush. Did mine 5 years ago and they still look like new. :rock:

johnsos30 05-23-2011 11:56 AM

Paint-Covers are for ricers

Vetteman Jack 05-23-2011 11:56 AM

Personally, I would paint them before going with the aluminum covers. I think they just look better. You could also contact thepowdercoater.com and inquire about a caliper exchange program they offer - not much more than the covers and they look great.

jrose7004 05-23-2011 12:02 PM

Paint them, it'll look much better than those covers.

BWF07 05-23-2011 12:16 PM

I have to agree with everyone on the covers. They may look good from a distance, but up close they look like exactly what they are fakes. Your driving an expensive sports car, so don't cheapen it with the covers.
I painted mine 5 years ago and I too live in Florida. They still look fine, but you will need to make sure you clean them regularly. If you but the Caliper Paint Kit, and do as it instructs you won't have any issues. It comes with a cleaner to remove all the brake dust that is built up and the paint and brush. I did mine on the car. If you have yours off (which it sounds like you do or will) you can also get a can of brake cleaner and soon high temp spray paint if you don't want to brush them. After they are dry, you can remove the paint from the letters with a razor blade or some paint remover but make sure with teh paint remover you only touch the raised letter.

RedSoxFan 05-23-2011 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think they look better painted. When I was planning my brakes/rotors/wheels overhaul last year I bought a complete set of calipers from corvetterecycling and painted them myself, I figured it would be easier to do with them off the car. After I had everything installed I sold my old set here on the forum so the cost of the calipers was pretty much a wash.

Attachment 48152321

redrckt97 05-23-2011 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by TR6speed (Post 1577687751)
I have to agree with everyone on the covers. They may look good from a distance, but up close they look like exactly what they are fakes. Your driving an expensive sports car, so don't cheapen it with the covers.
I painted mine 5 years ago and I too live in Florida. They still look fine, but you will need to make sure you clean them regularly. If you but the Caliper Paint Kit, and do as it instructs you won't have any issues. It comes with a cleaner to remove all the brake dust that is built up and the paint and brush. I did mine on the car. If you have yours off (which it sounds like you do or will) you can also get a can of brake cleaner and soon high temp spray paint if you don't want to brush them. After they are dry, you can remove the paint from the letters with a razor blade or some paint remover but make sure with teh paint remover you only touch the raised letter.

this is what I did 2 yrs ago - I drive it every day and the paint has held up very well. They will all get dirty (including covers) but are easy enough to clean - car soap and a sponge make them look new. I kept the pint and have touched up 2 little chips (road debris??) It really is easy to do - expecailly if you are rmoving the calipers anyway and the brush-on stuff smooths out very well... no bruch strokes.

all that said, I think the idea in an earlier post to polish the calipers sounds very interesting.

BitViper 05-23-2011 03:17 PM

Now these are cheezie..
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqJ,!l!...e1k!~~0_12.JPG

Painting is the easiest... buying the covers and repainitng them WITHOUT the fake bolts is second.

Ive actually condidered the MGP covers... its also the 200 bucks price of entry steep for what they are

Razzputon 05-23-2011 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I seem to be in the minority here but I like the MGP covers.

Attachment 48152315

The whole "ricer" thing is bs imo. There are a TON of items people put on vettes all the time to make them look better yet adds no performance value to your car.

If you like the look of Caliper covers buy them. They are a hell of a lot easier to clean then calipers, painted or not. :thumbs:

Also, they bolt on rock solid. easy install too.