CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Buying from Out of State (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2843147-buying-from-out-of-state.html)

murf257 05-25-2011 10:36 PM

Buying from Out of State

I am looking at a car on the east coast but live in Chicago. If I buy the car and need to have it shipped home, how do I go about the money and title transfer. If we agree on a price and I set up the transport service and when they arrive to pick up the car and are told the car doesn't exist..... what do I do as I already paid for it????

Redbird 05-25-2011 10:58 PM

Go check it out in person. See if anybody on the forum knows of the car. Close the deal at a bank where the car is, etc.

5thvet 05-25-2011 11:09 PM

Here's some good info for you and like Redbird said, I'm sure a Forum member in the area could help.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...edelivery.html
Don

boxster99t 05-25-2011 11:30 PM

I bought my 67 out of state (I live in Dallas and the car was in Boston). A lot will depend on the seller. Mine was nervous at first and actually suggested he hold title for 10 days after I wired the money, which is absurd. I had actually been in Boston looking at a different car and had a local NCRS judge check that one with me; he knew the owner of the car I did buy; and what we did was the seller took it to the judge's corvette shop on funding day, I wired the funds, and he fedex'd the title to me that day. The car stayed at the corvette shop until my transporter arrived.

Unless you have local help like I did, you may have to fly in, do the wire from there, wait for the confirmation, and leave with the car and title. If the seller will take bank check, you might be able to have the transporter swap the check for the car, keys and title. But some transporters don't like doing that.

Hitch 05-26-2011 10:29 AM

I just went through this but I was the seller. The buyer wired the money to my account, I then signed the title and had it notarized and FedEx it to him. A transporter was then scheduled and picked the car up at my house. The buyer got the car a few days later. Worked out well I have to say I was a little concerned because the guy did not even come look at the car.

Dave

Pilot Dan 05-26-2011 10:33 AM

Fly East and check the car out in person so there are no unpleasant surprises later on. On occassion damage occurs in transit and the seller and the carrier point fingers while the buyer who has never actually seen the car in person is left in the middle. I flew out with check in hand when I bought my 64, and had arranged a carrier to transport the car East. It was a beautiful day, and something came over me, I made a left turn past the Sears Tower in Chicago and just kept going till I got to NJ. One of my top 10 favorite all time Corvette experiences. If the car is a decent driver, it might be fun to drive it home yourself. :smash: Pilot Dan

csysman 05-26-2011 10:46 AM

Put insurance on the car Fly to the sellers location with a Bank check ( certified funds ) for the agreed amount ' have the owner sign over the title (verifty all info) call transport and wait for delivery ! (try to get some sleep)

Frankie the Fink 05-26-2011 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by csysman (Post 1577715719)
Put insurance on the car Fly to the sellers location with a Bank check ( certified funds ) for the agreed amount ' have the owner sign over the title (verifty all info) call transport and wait for delivery ! (try to get some sleep)

I don't know if you can get insurance on the car before you have the title transferred into your name....what would be your insurable interest in the car prior to that ? The rest of this method is how I did it though and it went without a hitch...:thumbs:

csysman 05-26-2011 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1577715793)
I don't know if you can get insurance on the car before you have the title transferred into your name....what would be your insurable interest in the car prior to that ? The rest of this method is how I did it though and it went without a hitch...:thumbs:

I called my agent telling him Im buying the car ,gave him the vin and had no problem :thumbs:
Im sure if you call your agent he will verify this

1snake 05-26-2011 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by csysman (Post 1577715719)
Put insurance on the car

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1577715793)
I don't know if you can get insurance on the car before you have the title transferred into your name....what would be your insurable interest in the car prior to that ?

You should check your insurance policy. Both my collector car and daily driver policies state that all newly acquired autos are covered for 30 days from the day of purchase.

Jim

murf257 05-26-2011 12:01 PM

I truly appreciate all of the responses. My issue right now is I arrive on Sunday and return home on Monday, Memorial Day. Obviously all financial institutions will be closed so wiring the funds is OUT! So I guess I have to feel comfortable enough to hand over the check and have the transporter pick up the car after I arrive back home. Just don't want to be without the funds and the car!

Frankie the Fink 05-26-2011 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by csysman (Post 1577715916)
I called my agent telling him Im buying the car ,gave him the vin and had no problem :thumbs:
Im sure if you call your agent he will verify this

Now that I understand....I'm sure the agent is just accepting the information and won't actually insure the car until the title transfers.

And Jim is correct I've lived in both Virginia and Florida and been with several insurance companies and its pretty standard that a new vehicle purchase receives interim coverage for 30 days after the purchase...

BADBIRDCAGE 05-26-2011 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1577716437)
Now that I understand....I'm sure the agent is just accepting the information and won't actually insure the car until the title transfers.

And Jim is correct I've lived in both Virginia and Florida and been with several insurance companies and its pretty standard that a new vehicle purchase receives interim coverage for 30 days after the purchase...

I just purchased a car in Louisiana. I got all the information in advance, notified my insurance company (which provided a temporary insurance identification card to me prior to my taking possession of the car) and my wife and I flew to New Orleans.

We test drove the car, paid for the car, called my insurance agent to tell him we had taken possession of the car, and we drove it home to Virginia.

csysman 05-26-2011 02:53 PM

:yesnod:

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE (Post 1577717087)
I just purchased a car in Louisiana. I got all the information in advance, notified my insurance company (which provided a temporary insurance identification card to me prior to my taking possession of the car) and my wife and I flew to New Orleans.

We test drove the car, paid for the car, called my insurance agent to tell him we had taken possession of the car, and we drove it home to Virginia.

65 vette dude 05-26-2011 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by murf257 (Post 1577716374)
I truly appreciate all of the responses. My issue right now is I arrive on Sunday and return home on Monday, Memorial Day. Obviously all financial institutions will be closed so wiring the funds is OUT! So I guess I have to feel comfortable enough to hand over the check and have the transporter pick up the car after I arrive back home. Just don't want to be without the funds and the car!

I would certainly take plenty of pictures of the car, just in case the car has damage, when the shipper drops it off.

Mossy66 05-26-2011 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by murf257 (Post 1577716374)

When I bought ours, I flew out, inspected the car and gave him a bank check. The seller had me fax a copy of the check to him beforehand so he could have a banker friend verify that it was good. I gave him the check, and he gave me the title and a bill of sale. When I got home I arranged to have the car shipped to me.

Gerry