CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Driving Gloves (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2844538-driving-gloves.html)

MuscleVette 05-28-2011 11:35 AM

Driving Gloves

Curious, but does anyone here use driving gloves with their Vette? I'm thinking that here in Texas it gets really hot and you can start sweating and driving gloves may be the ticket to keeping the steering wheel nice and unsweaty.

Thoughts? It may just be a kooky idea or something. I don't know.

cclive 05-28-2011 11:47 AM

Unless you are a real race car driver, it's probably just a little too precious a look.:D

If it's really hot, do you want to wear gloves? Only if your name is Kyle Busch.

Rubber Ducky 05-28-2011 11:51 AM

Must be string-back!

Racer 05-28-2011 11:56 AM

ghey

johnodrake 05-28-2011 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1577732824)
ghey

Says you.... ;)

I use them - I have fingerless gloves - grip is better with gloves but fingerless makes it easier to do other car functions that full gloves inhibit.

These actually match my car :D

(NIKE)

AORoads 05-28-2011 12:08 PM

definitely agree with John. if I found some that I really liked, I'd have no qualms wearing them because they provide a useful function. many don't wear them because of the "look" but the function is definitely there. :thumbs: Muscle, if you feel it's a good idea, try it out maybe with a very inexpensive pair of even very thin work gloves, an old golf glove, etc. and see how it works for you.

MuscleVette 05-28-2011 12:25 PM

Personally don't care about the look much, just function. As for being a real race car driver - not so much. We are starting to do more track type stuff and starting with HPDE, but I just enjoy normal spirited driving. With the targa on I don't have much to worry about with sweat. But with it off (and I do enjoy it off) its a concern.

John, I was looking at fingerless too. Just like what I use for my karate sparring, but without the padding :) Do you have any brand recommendations?

dvilin 05-28-2011 12:26 PM

Not for me but what the hell, a small price to pay so give it a shot and see if it works for you.

MuscleVette 05-28-2011 12:37 PM

Small price, but still I don't like wasting money or time shopping. Especially shopping...:D

themaffeo 05-28-2011 12:40 PM

prepare to be mocked mercilessly by friends, family and every car that passes by (including me! ;).

you can only wear driving gloves if you're smoking a cigar, wearing a top hat, and pulling Jeeves along in your sidecar.

johnodrake 05-28-2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by MuscleVette (Post 1577733017)
Personally don't care about the look much, just function. As for being a real race car driver - not so much. We are starting to do more track type stuff and starting with HPDE, but I just enjoy normal spirited driving. With the targa on I don't have much to worry about with sweat. But with it off (and I do enjoy it off) its a concern.

John, I was looking at fingerless too. Just like what I use for my karate sparring, but without the padding :) Do you have any brand recommendations?

The one in the picture is from Nike - got a couple of pair at the Nike outlet store for $12.95 each. I have also used other lifting gloves but the thin ones don't seem to have the grip and the thick ones eliminate the feel. These were just right. I have a couple of pair of driving gloves (really old) that have outstanding feel and grip but the full finger makes using the touch screen a pia. I thought about cutting off the index finger at the first joint until I found these Nike gloves.

JD

Xedes 05-28-2011 01:02 PM

Did I fall asleep and wake up in the 80's? COOL!! I knew I was saving my driving gloves, glacier glasses and moon boots for a reason. Now if I can remember where I put my blazer with the padded shoulders and skinny leather tie my look will be complete.

Thompyt 05-28-2011 01:15 PM

I was contemplating the same thing yesterday. I'd rather have control of the car than hoping my fingers don't get 2nd degree burns until the wheel cooled off. I'm secure enough of my manhood to not worry over homo-phobic tendancies.

cclive 05-28-2011 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Xedes (Post 1577733248)
Did I fall asleep and wake up in the 80's? COOL!! I knew I was saving my driving gloves, glacier glasses and moon boots for a reason. Now if I can remember where I put my blazer with the padded shoulders and skinny leather tie my look will be complete.

Now where did I put that Members Only jacket????:D

jpuli28 05-28-2011 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Xedes (Post 1577733248)

:lol: They are next to your Members only jacket, white belt and Carrera sunglasses.

+1 ghey :rolleyes:

Sorry guys, I look over at a guy wearing gloves in everyday traffic and "ohhh brother". If your on a mountain course or winding road where you can push it then ok, otherwise put the gloves in the glove box.

brianc6z16 05-28-2011 01:31 PM

Vette drivers worrying about what other people think? Worried about what is cool?

Give them a try and if you like it go for it.

If they are comfortable and can prevent sweat or oil from absorbing into the steering wheel leather then to h*ll with what others think.

coolsrt8 05-28-2011 01:59 PM

Driving in my truck one day, looked down at the guy next to me and he had one rubber glove on and it was busy:lol:

jackcasa 05-28-2011 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky (Post 1577732790)
Must be string-back!

And the shift lever must "fall readily to hand." The latter phrase was culled from a very old Road & Track road test from "back in the day.":D

Don-Vette 05-28-2011 02:06 PM

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...qmovrJbehFejqg

Maybe these...

http://drivingsuits.com/images/glove.../talongrip.jpg

C4RACER 05-28-2011 02:11 PM

I always wear gloves at the track.

Never on the street. I hope not to ever be pushing the car hard enough to warrant gloves on the street.....