CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   leaking radiator overflow tank (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2845807-leaking-radiator-overflow-tank.html)

Jackman 05-30-2011 06:14 PM

leaking radiator overflow tank

I looked on different forums on here and could not find anyone mention a problem like I see on my car. If I drive just a few miles and come home, park in the garage, lift the hood and I will see water/antifreeze bubbling out of the radiator pressurized overflow tank. The tank show signs that it is leaking. Is this normal? Does not look right to me.

DARRYLZO6 05-30-2011 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jackman (Post 1577749472)
I looked on different forums on here and could not find anyone mention a problem like I see on my car. If I drive just a few miles and come home, park in the garage, lift the hood and I will see water/antifreeze bubbling out of the radiator pressurized overflow tank. The tank show signs that it is leaking. Is this normal? Does not look right to me.

It's not normal my friend. It's leaking from the small piping at the bottom of the tank where the two small hoses are connected. First loosen the clamps, remove the hoses and check for signs of wear. If the hoses are ok, you will need another overflow tank. You can pick one up at Rock Auto.com for about $50, cheapest anywhere. Very easy DIY( I just installed a new one myself a few months ago.). :iagree:

Jackman 05-30-2011 06:28 PM

Thank you for the info. I knew there was a problem. My guess is I need a new tank, but I will check the hoses also.

rnb07 05-30-2011 06:38 PM

I had the same problem last year too. I removed the hoses an found that the tank had broke right where the hose connected. Wish I knew about rock auto cause I got one from the dealership =[

Vetteman Jack 05-30-2011 10:02 PM

:iagree: with the above. It is not normal for the tank to leak. Check for cracks and replace if necessary.

DARRYLZO6 05-30-2011 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by rnb07 (Post 1577749646)
I had the same problem last year too. I removed the hoses an found that the tank had broke right where the hose connected. Wish I knew about rock auto cause I got one from the dealership =[

Rock Auto,Amazon automotive,forum parts sections. I don't buy parts from dealers unless its something only the dealership has.$50 for the tank from Rock Auto compared to $85-100+ is a no-brainer IMO. And also every so-often Amazon offers free shipping on some auto parts.

MG RED 99 05-30-2011 11:35 PM

Just make sure you get the correct model tank. C5's had different styles during it's lifetime.

dgrant3830 05-31-2011 08:19 AM

It is a pressurized system and should never leak as already stated. The tank does have a failure rate with cracking nipple tubes. I've not heard of any bubbling out the top though so its possible the cap is leaking so its probably best to replace both. I'm a bit concerned though with your bubbling. When you go to replace this tank, be sure to carefully burp the system to insure there is no trapped air in the engine. Past that, if you still have "ANY" bubbling, you'll need to get an exhaust gas test kit for the coolant.