CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   The Car is packed and Canada awaits (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2850150-the-car-is-packed-and-canada-awaits.html)

Jackfit 06-06-2011 05:55 PM

The Car is packed and Canada awaits

Hi everyone, hope you are starting to enjoy the summer. Real tough weather over the last few months, hope all in the affected areas are getting back to some kind of normal.

As many of you know, I am going to the NCRS National Convention in Novi, Michigan the week of July 18- 22. I hope to meet some of you in Canada on my way to Novi.

I am still collecting info on long time owners of corvettes, and I would like to bring some pictures of our Canadian members and their cars.

Here is a Google Map of my projected route. if you are interested in meeting me on the way, send my a post or PM so I can start putting dots on the map.

I will repeat this post as a new post on the forum, called " Car is packed and Canada awaits ( a small part ).

My presentation at the convention is on my 48 State Trip.

I hope to get more people to drive their cars. I guess the NCRS is a good place to start.

PM if interested. I will make two overnight stops on my way from Maine. I leave ME on Sunday July 17th. I don't know where I am stopping yet, but I will be staying near Toronto on Tuesday at a members house

Here is the map with a few dots.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...044cbc787f&z=6

Jack

shemp 06-06-2011 06:32 PM

Damn Jack I thought you were going to say you were traveling all across Canada. Good Luck on your trip. Shemp :cheers:

Jackfit 06-06-2011 07:03 PM

Car is willing , my body isn't

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 1577810007)
Damn Jack I thought you were going to say you were traveling all across Canada. Good Luck on your trip. Shemp :cheers:

Well 3/8 of Canada is still a lot. Working on getting car prepared. The problem is , I won't stop driving it long enough to fix it.

Hope your shake down is almost done. Summer here and it is time to make the oil companies richer by driving our very economical cars.

Isn't Maryland on the way to Canada?

Jack

shemp 06-06-2011 07:43 PM

Absolutely. The beer is cold and your room is ready. Shemp :cheers:

365GTB4 06-06-2011 08:00 PM

Have a great trip Jack. Wish I could join you.

JW

Fawndeuce 06-06-2011 08:44 PM

Hi Jack,
I'm in Montreal and it would be great to see you! I will also be going to Novi for the national, I'm going in my '62 as part of the road tour with other NCRS members. Do you have the date that you will be in Montreal? A good friend and fellow member has a '66 BB coupe that he has owned since new and probably driving to NOVI, and a '56 that he bought in '63.
I'd offer you a place to stay, but my better half's daughter is going to be staying with us for a while, so the spare room will be occupied (yes she's cute, but no you can't :lol:). I can however provide a safe place for your car for the night, and a ride to wherever you stay.

Let me know and we'll set something up!

All the best,

Paul

Jackfit 06-06-2011 09:05 PM

Montreal here I come

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce (Post 1577811027)
Hi Jack,
I'm in Montreal and it would be great to see you! I will also be going to Novi for the national, I'm going in my '62 as part of the road tour with other NCRS members. Do you have the date that you will be in Montreal? A good friend and fellow member has a '66 BB coupe that he has owned since new and probably driving to NOVI, and a '56 that he bought in '63.
I'd offer you a place to stay, but my better half's daughter is going to be staying with us for a while, so the spare room will be occupied (yes she's cute, but no you can't :lol:). I can however provide a safe place for your car for the night, and a ride to wherever you stay.

Let me know and we'll set something up!

All the best,

Paul

Hi Paul, I will be in Montreal on Sunday , I leave ME on Sunday morning and should be there later in the day. I have my tent and I use it, so , if no other place opens up , a backyard sounds great. I used my tent quite a bit on my last trip.

PM with your address, and phone. Looks like I have one stop done. Toronto would be the next stop on Monday or Tuesday if I stop somewhere on the way.

I know there are a few members in your area and it would be great meeting them.

I look forward to meeting you

Jack

mdz06vetter 06-06-2011 09:20 PM

Jack,

Rick here in Maryland with 1963 Z06, and saw you at BLUESTRIPE67's house (Dennis) - will be driving LADY to the National and look forward to seeing youse again

Jackfit 06-06-2011 09:36 PM

Black Beauty

Originally Posted by mdz06vetter (Post 1577811373)
Jack,

Rick here in Maryland with 1963 Z06, and saw you at BLUESTRIPE67's house (Dennis) - will be driving LADY to the National and look forward to seeing youse again

Hi Rick,

Great meeting you and rest of the DC group last summer. Looks like it going to be fun at Novi.

My cell is 207 838 5695 I will get there I think on Wed , morning.

Don't know where I am staying yet in Michigan . Some back yard or basement I guess. Why worry , its only June

Jack

Olustee bus 06-07-2011 04:48 AM

Sunscreen Jack, lots of suncream as I know that top may not ever go up!

jb_va2001 06-07-2011 06:14 AM

Looks like a great trip. Have fun.

Tom Austin 06-07-2011 07:26 AM

Have a great trip, Jack! Wish I could join you for a crab cake and a beer along the way!

Tom

mdz06vetter 06-07-2011 08:51 AM

Jack,

Have a save trip! I leave Balmer on Sunday, July 17th probably around lunch time. Will drive probably until around dinner time and will find a hotel for the night, and then drive into Novi early on Monday. I am staying at one of the host hotels. My cell is 443-564-0720.

Dave Tracy 06-07-2011 09:46 AM

Have fun and enjoy it!
Dave

rayvaflav 06-07-2011 11:03 AM

Jackfit allowed back in Canada ? Looks like the Great White North has finally dropped it's extradition treaty .

Ray (Zut Alors Jacques !)

Mike Ward 06-07-2011 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jackfit (Post 1577811231)
Hi Paul, I will be in Montreal on Sunday , I leave ME on Sunday morning and should be there later in the day. I have my tent and I use it, so , if no other place opens up , a backyard sounds great. I used my tent quite a bit on my last trip.

PM with your address, and phone. Looks like I have one stop done. Toronto would be the next stop on Monday or Tuesday if I stop somewhere on the way.

I know there are a few members in your area and it would be great meeting them.

I look forward to meeting you

Jack

Jack, I'm in the Montreal area also and part of the NCRS chapter with Paul and the others. We might be away at the time of your quick visit but if not it would be a good opportunity to get the guys and cars out for a meet and greet somewhere in the area. :canadaflag:

I note that you're passing through Ottawa- have you got some people lined up there?

sub006 06-07-2011 06:07 PM

I haven'r been through the 1100 original posts. Forgive me for asking, what parts/tools do you carry with you? And what broke or needed refreshing after 48 states?

Jackfit 06-07-2011 06:18 PM

No not yet

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1577816028)
Jack, I'm in the Montreal area also and part of the NCRS chapter with Paul and the others. We might be away at the time of your quick visit but if not it would be a good opportunity to get the guys and cars out for a meet and greet somewhere in the area. :canadaflag:

I note that you're passing through Ottawa- have you got some people lined up there?

I hope to meet as many of our Canadian members as possible. I was hoping to meet you as you post quite a bit and I enjoy your posts. I hope to be in Montreal on Sunday night, and I have Monday open, I am staying in Toronto on Tuesday, Paul Uptime, is putting a little gathering together.

I would like to post as many pictures as possible of members on my way to Novi. Any contacts or friends you may have in Ottawa would be great to meet. Let me know, as usuall , I just get in my car and drive, and hope the Gods will take care of me.

Look forward to meeting you if possible.

Jack

Sorry but, GO Boston Bruins

Jackfit 06-07-2011 06:41 PM

Yankee acent or no

Originally Posted by sub006 (Post 1577819036)
I haven'r been through the 1100 original posts. Forgive me for asking, what parts/tools do you carry with you? And what broke or needed refreshing after 48 states?

I carried a canvas wine bag that had 6 bottle slots, you may be able to see it on the first page of this post.

I had in it: 1 Ratchet with 1/4 to 5/8 sockets
4 ratchet wrenches 3/8 to 5/8
screw drivers , extra set of points ( took out points ) in-case electronic Ignition fails. it didn't

a few bolts and nuts of the usual size
two cans of fix flat, I did not take a spare tire , no room, stored my tent and camping stuff in tire carrier.

Pliers and some wire , duct tape and ( very important ) AAA long distance towing.

I knew that I was always within a few hundred miles of forum members if I really needed help.

And I did, my haft shaft ujoint started to go 700 miles from the west coast, and I drove without stopping from Sun Valley Idaho to Tacoma WA , to a members house, he had a lift and we replaced it . Lucky it did not let go. It was 35 years old at least. Don't recommend taking a long trip with checking age of running gear.

and the alternator bracket broke in the south and a small garage welded it for me for $39 with new bolts.

Once you have most of the drive train fixed or replaced in these cars, they are very dependable.

My replacement body parts ( hips knees wrists ankles ) gave me more problems then the car replacement parts.

You do not need a lot of tools as you can only fix so much on the road.

Mostly you check and see if everything is still tight. Lots of vibration over 20,000 miles at 3,500 rpms

I have a 3.70 rear and M-20 wide ratio

The engine is original and has about 300,000 miles on it. Only burns about a qt of oil every 1500 miles thanks to Carl Hinckson of Windham ME who rebuilt it for me. Only new parts are the pistons/rings, all other parts blue printed and balanced.

Hope this helps

jack

Jackfit 06-07-2011 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 365GTB4 (Post 1577810651)
Have a great trip Jack. Wish I could join you.

JW

Thanks and thanks for the wonderful time I had in CA.

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/u...JohnBob089.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/u...JohnBob080.jpg

A man and his tools

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/u...JohnBob085.jpg