CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [ZR1] poor z tags wall in NH (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2850306-poor-z-tags-wall-in-nh.html)

pdd000 06-06-2011 09:27 PM

poor z tags wall in NH

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...m/8baec078.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...m/d77451e6.jpg
time for sum slicks

range96 06-06-2011 09:50 PM

Ouch! It looks like it hit the front and back (rear wheel is broken). Any other info?

pdd000 06-06-2011 09:56 PM

Not much info, just someone in a new Zr1 running down the quarter mile in Epping NH who tagged the wall:eek:

Marc Lefebvre 06-06-2011 10:38 PM

I wasn't there but two off my friends were there and saw what happened. He was an older guy 60 plus up from Mass. Supposedly he had a terrible launch and was very squirrely down the track. My buddy said it looked like he was frustrated by the run a nailed the gas late and from what both my friends say he lost control after the quater mile marker and lost control braking. Friend said he ran a 14 sec. plus and still had a top speed or over 120 mph. He also said the car was quite loud and didn't know if it was stock or not. My friend took some pics with his cell phone , he has never seen a ZR1 in person before. He also spoke to the driver and said he was dealing with it pretty well, even joked a little about it. Major bummer. Marc L.

range96 06-06-2011 11:26 PM

At least he wasn't injured.

capevettes 06-07-2011 08:06 AM

A buddy of mine who is friends with the owner informed me that he hit a patch of oil on the track. Unfortunate if that was the case. In any event, insurance will not cover it :ack:

mdz06vetter 06-07-2011 08:46 AM

that's why you NEED track insurance!!!!!

burtonbl103 06-07-2011 09:07 AM

I know paul personally
And he has been racing for years
He has a zo6 before this.

There was a mustang the blew up prior to his race and there was oil and antifreese on the track
this was an unfortuniate accident

hope it is an easy fix !

He was hittin 4th gear
and the rear end got loose

burtonbl103 06-07-2011 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Marc Lefebvre (Post 1577812173)
I wasn't there but two off my friends were there and saw what happened. He was an older guy 60 plus up from Mass. Supposedly he had a terrible launch and was very squirrely down the track. My buddy said it looked like he was frustrated by the run a nailed the gas late and from what both my friends say he lost control after the quater mile marker and lost control braking. Friend said he ran a 14 sec. plus and still had a top speed or over 120 mph. He also said the car was quite loud and didn't know if it was stock or not. My friend took some pics with his cell phone , he has never seen a ZR1 in person before. He also spoke to the driver and said he was dealing with it pretty well, even joked a little about it. Major bummer. Marc L.

and paul is not 60 :rofl:

This is :bs:

He has 2 great runs before this.

and it was bone stock

BT ZR1 06-07-2011 09:36 AM

Not pretty, hope its an easy fix

Russell ZR1 06-07-2011 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by burtonbl103 (Post 1577814385)
There was a mustang the blew up prior to his race and there was oil and antifreese on the track

maybe we should start a new thread, "Mustang takes out ZR1 one two punch" and see how well it goes over on the Mustang forum...

and paul is not 60
when i read a post and it starts with, "well i wasn't there but this guy i know, told my friend...." i usually wait to read later what really happened. man this stinks, but glad the owner is ok and hope he has a quick recover of his ZR1...:thumbs:

Ls2 Vette 06-07-2011 04:20 PM

i doubt that's an easy fix, looks to be pretty expensive, front suspension looks toast, rear is out of place, new wheel, maybe rotor / other brake components??

main important thing is the driver was not injured.

427PWRD 06-07-2011 04:29 PM

Did the driver's airbag deploy? I see a white bag looking deal by the driver's side steering wheel.

range96 06-07-2011 05:35 PM

When you hit that hard (so the wheel shatters) you'll find additional damage as well. Bent, cracked suspension components, even frame damage. That car will never be 100%. You can wish otherwise, but that's reality. If the air bag deployed that is another major red flag. Even if expertly repaired an instant $20K drop in value. The good news is the driver walked away.

The kind of risks we all take when we push the limit. Even if it's not our fault. I've seen a Mustang taking out a Viper on a road course by dumping oil. I guess it's a payback for bad mouthing them. I also saw a turbo Viper taking himself out by spraying oil on its own front wheels.

ub2slow2 06-07-2011 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by range96 (Post 1577818756)
When you hit that hard (so the wheel shatters) you'll find additional damage as well. Bent, cracked suspension components, even frame damage. That car will never be 100%. You can wish otherwise, but that's reality. If the air bag deployed that is another major red flag. Even if expertly repaired an instant $20K drop in value. The good news is the driver walked away.

The kind of risks we all take when we push the limit. Even if it's not our fault. I've seen a Mustang taking out a Viper on a road course by dumping oil. I guess it's a payback for bad mouthing them. I also saw a turbo Viper taking himself out by spraying oil on its own front wheels.

You are 100% right. He'd be better off if the thing was totaled. Bad thing is he doesn't have racing insurance so that is going to really bite.

911/Q45 06-07-2011 07:00 PM

If he's got a lot of history with his insurance company, he'll probably be OK.

LEAVINU 06-07-2011 07:03 PM

I'm sure some tracks have great crews (MIR, Englishtown, etc) and do a great clean-up after a spill but I've found the tracks around Atlanta to not be such. Once a car spills fluid I tend to call it a day. I've seen cars cross the center line way to many times in person due to fluids on the big end. Not really the kindof rush I'm looking for at 120mph+. :willy:

Glad the driver walked away.

Shurshot 06-07-2011 07:22 PM

Another reason to wait for track rental days :thumbs:

Glad the OP has survived to race another day :blueangel:

cell6ida 06-07-2011 08:06 PM

Where can we get track insurance?

'06 Quicksilver Z06 06-07-2011 08:22 PM

Tough break:(

I've heard of track insurance for the road course/HPDEs, but I have never heard of it for the drag strip and never knew that it existed.

If so, then please point me to it.

If he has a good record with his insurance company, there is a slim chance that they might still cover it. But they might drop him afterwards.

There was a guy awhile back, who had a C5 Z06 burn to the ground when a wet nitrous kit malfunctioned on the drag strip, while staging, and I believe I read here that his insurance company covered his loss.

What a tough break. :( The bad thing is, that car could be totaled. At the very least like someone has already said, it will never be the same.:(

If the airbag went off, then OnStar might know about it. Where it happened and such.

One of my worst fears is these guys running these junk cars on the strip, knowing that they are liable to break down and leave oil and antifreeze on the track.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/easter...riday-ned.html