CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Cant get rid of vibration ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2853284-cant-get-rid-of-vibration.html)

hardhattg 06-11-2011 02:07 PM

Cant get rid of vibration ?

Anyone have an experience with repro wheels and run flats ? any problems ?.

recently bought an 07 z51 m car and had dealer install Z06 look comp gray spider wheels ( after market ) . On ride home from purchase at interstate speeds there was a significant shake at the steering wheel and in the seats . Once home ( 3 hours from dealer ) Took car right to local Discount tire store where they evaluated the tires and said the front tires were cupped . The tires looked pretty good to me so first had discount try rebalancing all four with a slight improvement but still bad . Car has Firestone fire hawk run flats . We ended up going to a firestone shop and putting on two new Firestones in the front but shake did not improve at all . The next day Firestone had their best tech try to rebalance the tires , moving tires around on wheels for better balance etc... Tech said at least one of the wheels took a tremendous amount of weight no matter where tire was positioned on rim but he was able to 0 out all four wheels . Back out on the highway and slight improvement but still have a significant shake at 75 and up .

Thinking that maybe these repro wheels being steel and heavier then factory alloys combined with run flats which of course are heavy tires are causing this problem .? Anyone have any experience with this issue . The car has 29k and is immaculate with clean car fax etc...

I will be installing factory oem wheels soon hoping that this solves the problem . Before i spend more money on this new purchase figured i would ask for input .

I did speak to shop that sold the wheels as they wont take them back and do not believe there is any chance it could be the wheels ?

appreciate any thoughts

Boomer111 06-11-2011 03:55 PM

I had a similar problem with a set of after market rims.

Problem was that the rim bore was 1mm larger than the axle hub.

Proper way is to re bore the rim and use a spigot ring to eliminate the slop.

I did the cheaper repair first and it worked... Just a wrap of tape around the axle hub.

If the difference is greater no re boring is necessary just the spigot ring. My difference was no enough to use the ring without widening the gap.

Do a search and find the thread and opinions.

Not saying this is your situation. But if all elsefails have the bore and hub measured.

BEZ06 06-11-2011 04:40 PM

A lot of ZR1 owners have had your problem. Some have been able to eliminate the vibes by finding a good tire shop with a Hunter force balancing machine - take a look at their site below:

http://www.gsp9700.com

Before you do that, you might want to check to see if it's something very simple. Take a look at the picture below:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...4006_large.jpg

The red circles show the Tinnerman nuts that are only on there to hold the rotor on the hub as the car goes down the assembly line. When the caliper is installed, they are not needed.

They have been known to create problems with some aftermarket wheels. The OE wheels have a countersunk area that they will fit into when the wheel is installed. Some aftermarket wheels aren't countersunk, and if the Tinnerman nuts are left on, the wheel won't fit flush with the face of the rotor - and that has caused big problems in many cases when owners put fancy wheels on their car and have wheel vibrations and think they have a balance problem.

So....remove one of your wheels and take a look around the inside of the lug holes - if there is no countersunk area to allow the Tinnerman nuts to recess into, then the wheel just won't mate flush to the hub. Just remove and discard them - they are totally unnecessary, and maybe that will allow your wheels to mate evenly with the hub.

BTW, our Corvette wheels are lugcentric - the cone seat lug nuts are what centers the wheel, not the bore of the center of the wheel on the hub.

Bob :flag:

hardhattg 06-11-2011 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by BEZ06 (Post 1577852737)
A lot of ZR1 owners have had your problem. Some have been able to eliminate the vibes by finding a good tire shop with a Hunter force balancing machine - take a look at their site below:

http://www.gsp9700.com

Before you do that, you might want to check to see if it's something very simple. Take a look at the picture below:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...4006_large.jpg

The red circles show the Tinnerman nuts that are only on there to hold the rotor on the hub as the car goes down the assembly line. When the caliper is installed, they are not needed.

They have been known to create problems with some aftermarket wheels. The OE wheels have a countersunk area that they will fit into when the wheel is installed. Some aftermarket wheels aren't countersunk, and if the Tinnerman nuts are left on, the wheel won't fit flush with the face of the rotor - and that has caused big problems in many cases when owners put fancy wheels on their car and have wheel vibrations and think they have a balance problem.

So....remove one of your wheels and take a look around the inside of the lug holes - if there is no countersunk area to allow the Tinnerman nuts to recess into, then the wheel just won't mate flush to the hub. Just remove and discard them - they are totally unnecessary, and maybe that will allow your wheels to mate evenly with the hub.

BTW, our Corvette wheels are lugcentric - the cone seat lug nuts are what centers the wheel, not the bore of the center of the wheel on the hub.

Bob :flag:

The last shop that had the car , Firestone used the hunter force machine . This is certainly worth looking into . I will pull the wheels off tomorrow .

thanks

realcanuk 06-11-2011 06:22 PM

I installed Firehawk runflats a few weeks ago and also had a vibration. The shop rebalanced them but this time they did what they called "matching the tires to the wheels". Basically they measured to find the high spots on the wheels and tires and moved them around to the best points. The car was perfect after this procedure. I dont know the make of the machine but it was brand new and very sophisticated. You might find a shop that can do that properly and try it.

AORoads 06-11-2011 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by realcanuk (Post 1577853451)
I installed Firehawk runflats a few weeks ago and also had a vibration. The shop rebalanced them but this time they did what they called "matching the tires to the wheels". Basically they measured to find the high spots on the wheels and tires and moved them around to the best points. The car was perfect after this procedure. I dont know the make of the machine but it was brand new and very sophisticated. You might find a shop that can do that properly and try it.

as bob said above, that is exactly what the Hunter "Road Force" Balancer does. It tells the technician what to do, but doesn't do it for him/her. Having a Hunter machine is only part of the solution; the technician knowing how to use and what to do afterwards is the key.

realcanuk 06-11-2011 07:58 PM

Ahhh. I didn't know which machine did it. The tech who did mine seemed to know how to do it right. And it worked.

hardhattg 06-11-2011 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by realcanuk (Post 1577853451)

Any chance you still have the phone number of the shop and maybe a name . Would like to speak to them about this .

Boomer111 06-11-2011 08:02 PM

^This is true..but the hub is supposed to mate up with the axle cone, if not for centering at least to dampen some vibration.

Anyway this was my problem and was corrected with the mentioned applied tape.

I went to a very up scale custom rim shop. And they new immediately what might be the cause.

I was getting a vibration at 55 plus, not serious enough to really shake the steering a lot wheel but enough to know something was not right.

My clips had already been removed by the initial installing.

AORoads 06-11-2011 08:05 PM

don't know where, or what country you're in, but see the link, and look at the top of "locate a GSP9700"

http://www.gsp9700.com/?gclid=CNTJmd...FYNo5QodOWCCtA

realcanuk 06-11-2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by hardhattg (Post 1577854151)
Any chance you still have the phone number of the shop and maybe a name . Would like to speak to them about this .

I don't have it with me. Google FCP tires and it will come up. Its a very big mags and tire center with 12 doors going all the time. I don't know the name of the guy who did mine but I'm sure if you called they might be able to offer some advice. Worth a shot.

fnsblum 06-11-2011 11:56 PM

Tech said at least one of the wheels took a tremendous amount of weight.

What is the amount of weight? The same machine they balance with will check the wheel/tire for excessive run out/bent etc. A lot of weight is a red flag that something is wrong. Later! Frank

Knob Jockey 06-12-2011 03:06 AM

Another small thing to remember is that the hub-centric wheels on the C6 need to be torqued with the car in the air, not sitting on the ground.

KILR-Z51 06-12-2011 06:14 AM

Does it matter what kind of tape you use, Duct tape or electrical ect:

hardhattg 06-12-2011 08:26 AM

Boomer

Can you give me the name and number of the shop that did your wheels , maybe they can educate my local guys here .

thanks

hardhattg

hardhattg 06-12-2011 08:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
pulled the wheels off this morning and yes those clips were still in place but the back of the aftermarket wheels look like they were already milled for this . ( see attached pic ) I did take the clips off anyway and have not driven the car yet but not hopefull after seeing the back of the wheels .

Someone asked how much weight was installed on the wheel and i believe the one worst wheel took 5.5 oz on one side and just a little on the other side of the same wheel , other three wheels took less ?

Again if anyone knows a qualified wheel shop in daytona / orlando area please let me know .

thanks hardhattg

b.lee 06-12-2011 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by fnsblum (Post 1577855987)
Tech said at least one of the wheels took a tremendous amount of weight.

What is the amount of weight? The same machine they balance with will check the wheel/tire for excessive run out/bent etc. A lot of weight is a red flag that something is wrong. Later! Frank

x2 on that,
I'd look at the rim/tire that needed extra weight.
Might need replacing

Boomer111 06-12-2011 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by hardhattg (Post 1577857224)
Boomer

Can you give me the name and number of the shop that did your wheels , maybe they can educate my local guys here .

thanks

hardhattg

PM sent

Boomer111 06-12-2011 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by KILR-Z51 (Post 1577856794)
Does it matter what kind of tape you use, Duct tape or electrical ect:

Electrical tape is not recommended, I asked about this before.

They did have a certain tape they like to use. kinda like Duct tape but was not.

I believe Duct tape would work though.

Remember I had a small difference of just 1mm, really nothing.

But the tape did the trick. Why? Haven't the foggiest idea.

They usually want to use the Spigot ring. There is not one small enough so I would to of had the Bore widened..really did not want to go there. Then the tech suggested the tape trick and it worked.

Granted my vibration was not real bad but it was present and annoying. I was not going to live with it.

My rims were the LG World Challenge set.

And all balancing was done on a Hunter Road Force machine.

NYC6 06-12-2011 11:55 AM

Since it doesnt seem to be the timmermans my guess its the lack of quality in repos. There have been many threads on cheap repos that were out of round and wont balance or there are issues with improper sizing, as mentioned. Often the old saying is true, you get what you pay for. Hope you get it worked out.