CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/drag-racing-90/)
-   -   Current Convertible Roll Bar Rule (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/drag-racing/2854440-current-convertible-roll-bar-rule.html)

rbartick 06-13-2011 02:27 PM

Current Convertible Roll Bar Rule

Is the rule for 2011+ convertibles still 13.49? If so, the new factory stock Corvettes, Camaros, and Mustangs require a roll bar?

mackeyred96 06-13-2011 06:28 PM

Yes, roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.49 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.49. The roll bar is accepted in vehicles running as quick as 10.00 second e.t., provided the stock firewall and floorboard is intact, other than for installation of wheel tubs. The rollbar must be constructed of minimum 1 ¾ inch o.d. x .118 inch wall mild steel tubing, or 1 ¾ x .083 chrome moly tubing.

Joe_G 06-13-2011 11:43 PM

Tracks sometimes have different rules for local events. Best to go speak to the tech folks on a TNT night.

Dave-T 06-14-2011 04:59 PM

Roll bar requirements for cars are stated as above with a few modifications. If the car is completely factory stock (absolutely no mods at all) you are allowed to go faster than 11.50 in time trials but not in eliminations. For verts with mods the roll bar rule is 13.49 and below but NHRA will not allow you to got faster than 11.00 (coupes can go to 10.00). Some tracks ignore this rule (E-Town does) and allow you to go to 10.00 like the coupes.

A Mean street racer at E-Town changed the bar in his Vert to be 100% legal in the eyes of NHRA. When he asked E-Town the requirement they did not know and told him to call NHRA.

mackeyred96 06-14-2011 06:01 PM

This is a problems no one wants to be political incorrect commenting on. Safety has to be the number one priority and no one wants to alter the very conservative NHRA roll bar rules but lets face it those rules were put in place over 40 years ago when a fast street car ran 14.00 at best. Today's Corvette right off the show room floors runs faster than the rules allow and the 135 mph rule is attainable with very few modifications. So as a promoter or track owner what do you do? Some states like Jersey has the state police who regulates motor sports looking over their shoulders, while other have insurance worries. The last think you want is for some one to be injured in a crash where the proper safety equipment may have prevented that injury but that the chance we all take strapping into a car and racing down the track.
I for one have take a new approach to these rules and I'm going to bring them into the 21 century with some real world changes for future events I'll be involved with... Stay tuned....

Joe_G 06-14-2011 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dave-T (Post 1577878807)
Roll bar requirements for cars are stated as above with a few modifications. If the car is completely factory stock (absolutely no mods at all) you are allowed to go faster than 11.50 in time trials but not in eliminations. For verts with mods the roll bar rule is 13.49 and below but NHRA will not allow you to got faster than 11.00 (coupes can go to 10.00). Some tracks ignore this rule (E-Town does) and allow you to go to 10.00 like the coupes.

A Mean street racer at E-Town changed the bar in his Vert to be 100% legal in the eyes of NHRA. When he asked E-Town the requirement they did not know and told him to call NHRA.

I think you're referring to the 2005 "Pure Stock" rule which allowed basically stock cars (drag radials, intake/exhaust, etc. were permitted) to run 11.50 without a bar, down from the existing rule of 11.99 for coupes and 13.99 for convertibles. That rule disappeared from the 2006 rule book. I think tracks may have some leeway when it's not a NHRA or IHRA national event but it's best to check with them. And you get more flies with sugar than vinegar.

Fuzzy Dice 06-14-2011 07:28 PM

Remember, the track has the final say on any rule issue...does not matter if it is in the rule book or not or if it is even right or not...I believe Joe is correct...the NHRA pulled the "pure stock" rule out of the rule book...

When you have bone stock cars like the new ZO6 dipping into the 10's, the N and IHRA have a problem on their hands...

The other night in Orlando some guy shows up with a brand new Nissan...GT-R, I think?...all I know is he put on a helmet and promptly went 10.98 dead stock...that thing was flying!...I was sitting by the finish line for that run and he trapped over 130 mph...

Was he safe with a helmet only?...I don't know but if it was my car I would have to have a whole bunch of safety stuff to run that number...something does not add up is all I am saying...

P.s. he told me the car makes 530 hp and 450 tq at 6300 rpm...V6 with twin turbo's and all wheel drive...sheesh...

tonyable68 05-03-2018 12:05 AM

rollbar c 5

Originally Posted by Dave-T (Post 1577878807)

Can i race at island dragway with my convertable c 5 runs 12;20 at e town never bothered old owner