CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars-24/)
-   -   Ford GT wanting ceramic brakes... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars/2860372-ford-gt-wanting-ceramic-brakes.html)

Ford GT-TT 06-22-2011 08:22 PM

Ford GT wanting ceramic brakes...

Here I am in a foreign land...

I own a Ford GT with a Heffner TT kit, and have no complaints when it comes to going fast in a straight line, but when it comes to stopping I'm quite disappointed with the performance of the GT's standard brakes.

My hats off to the ZR1 ceramic Brembo brakes, and I'm wanting to get those, but could need some help as to where to get the best deal.

I need two sets of front brakes (rotors, hubs, calipers and pads)

Have I come to the right forum to ask, or will I just get flamed for driving a Ford?? :D

Thanks
Jason
Denmark

seamus2154 06-22-2011 08:37 PM

No flames nice car. You don't need two sets of brakes with the CF set up. Well the ZR1 brakes anyway. They did a lot of testing to formulate a brake pad that worked cold also. maybe contact Brembo for dealers? good luck

K-TownMike 06-22-2011 09:22 PM

If anybody flames you for driving a GT, let alone a TT GT, they should be banned.

Ford GT-TT 06-23-2011 01:23 AM

Thanks for the comments...

I was hoping that a vendor on the forum has sold ceramic brakes to C06 owners (perhaps wrong of me to ask in the community of ZR1 owners:-).

I'm planning front brakes both ends because the GT is a mid engined car with more weight at the rear. It has same size rotors all way round as standard.

vetteship 06-23-2011 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ford GT-TT (Post 1577949609)
Have I come to the right forum to ask,

Stock GT brakes did just fine at the Mohave mile event this year, where some TT cars went comfortably pass the 200MPH mark and no issues stopping, a good place to search your quest: :cheers:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forum.php

Jofu 06-23-2011 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ford GT-TT (Post 1577951750)
I was hoping that a vendor on the forum has sold ceramic brakes to C06 owners (perhaps wrong of me to ask in the community of ZR1 owners:-).

Nice car :)

I believe most supporting vendors can provide you with a quote, but you'll need to PM them directly to get one I believe.

I know for a fact RichieRichZ06 (from Abel Chevrolet, a supporting vendor) will sell them to you at a good price.

Good luck!

:cheers:
Geoff

Ford GT-TT 06-23-2011 06:20 AM

I'm a very active member on the Ford GT forum, and it's actually there that I found out that some people are fitting the ZR1 brakes on the GT (including Ray Hoffmann that holds the standing mile 266MPH record in his GT:-)
I use my GT for lots of track days, and I have cooked the brakes a couple of times.
I just thought that I would come to this forum where I guess people have lots of experience with where to get the brakes. I live in Denmark and I don't have many contacts in The States...

Cheers :cheers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR-ZhGKhKOc

Originally Posted by vetteship (Post 1577951764)
Stock GT brakes did just fine at the Mohave mile event this year, where some TT cars went comfortably pass the 200MPH mark and no issues stopping, a good place to search your quest: :cheers:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forum.php

Ford GT-TT 06-23-2011 06:30 AM

Geoff,

Thats grand - thanks a ton!!

Originally Posted by Jofu (Post 1577951885)
Nice car :)

I believe most supporting vendors can provide you with a quote, but you'll need to PM them directly to get one I believe.

I know for a fact RichieRichZ06 (from Abel Chevrolet, a supporting vendor) will sell them to you at a good price.

Good luck!

:cheers:
Geoff

JMBLOWNWS6 06-23-2011 06:36 AM

We have worked on a few GT's here in San Antonio @ the shop. On the GT forum I read this whole thread. Really good job stormcat did.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/sh...ake-Conversion

Ford GT-TT 06-23-2011 06:53 AM

Yes Brian did a awesome job with his car...

LEAVINU 06-23-2011 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ford GT-TT (Post 1577952127)

:smiliedrool:

OKsweetrides 06-23-2011 10:25 AM

Not flaming the car, just the bad logic of running front brakes on rear. I don't know if the FGT runs a biasing valve, but having greater rear braking torque than the front will have you dead very quick. A good majority of braking is done by the front via weight shift. While a FGT seems rear heavy, look 911's and their weight distribution; yet they don't run fronts on the rear. Id wager their rear piston sizes are smaller to.account for bias as well.

355Spider 06-23-2011 10:37 AM

When you get them done just remember not to hit them with anything like your wheel when taking it off or that one is possibly ruined as they break easily. Also nothing other than soap and water can get on them or they're ruined(ie armor all). Nice ride by the way. I had a very tough time deciding between a GT and a ZR1.

Ford GT-TT 06-23-2011 10:44 AM

Thanks for your thoughts...
The GT runs as standard the same caliper size font and rear so the obvious thing would be to stay with that.

Here are the thoughts behind the decision from a GT guy who has the ZR1 brakes on his car. It's also from the thread linked to above.

Seems very thought through...

After evaluating both the front and rear ZR1 systems it was very evident that I would not use a direct ZR1 Front and Rear duplication.

Using the ZR1 rear calipers and rotors would be a deviations from all three of the critical aspects of the 1:1 ratio as describe above :
1) Brake Piston Square Area : The Rear ZR1 piston square area is substantially less than the front.
2) Brake Swept / Pad Area : The rear sweep area is marginally less.
The ZR1 rear pad area is substantially less than the front. One interesting thing to note. Brembo actually trims the ZR1 rear pads to reduce the brake force.. This in a cheap ( from an engineering stand point ) and easy way to reduce brake force but it works : ) ( see photo )

3) Rotor diameter : The rear rotor diameter is slightly less.

There was also one final nail in ruling out using the ZR1 rear set up. The ZR 1 uses a drum style e- brake. The rear ZR1 rotor hat is made of Stainless steel and has a drum machined on the inside of the rotor. The whole rear OEM rotor & hat assembly is assembly is heavier that the front even though it is smaller. (see photo )

Final Hardware Selection :

After the evaluation exercise I decided to do an exact 1:1 front and rear system . I am using the same 6 piston calipers front and rear, the same diameter rotors front and rear and the same pads front and rear. The piston square area of the calipers I am using for all practical purposes matches that of the stock GT which eliminates any master cylinder / volume and pedal pressure issues.

Ford GT-TT 06-23-2011 10:59 AM

220 on the clock - top of 5th gear.. :D

Originally Posted by LEAVINU (Post 1577952739)

JDRacing 06-23-2011 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jofu (Post 1577951885)
Nice car :)I know for a fact RichieRichZ06 (from Abel Chevrolet, a supporting vendor) will sell them to you at a good price.

:iagree: Another vote for Richie Rich Willhoff, Parts Manager at Abel. (707) 374-6317; best prices and service around.

No flames around here for a Ford GT. In fact, if you ever want to trade for a ZR1 . . . .

Good luck with your project, and great car! :cheers:

Everett Ogilvie 06-23-2011 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ford GT-TT (Post 1577953549)
Thanks for your thoughts...
The GT runs as standard the same caliper size font and rear so the obvious thing would be to stay with that..[/I]

Absolutely correct. I have some experience with this as my car is a rear-mid engine as well, and I have had 2 different brake systems on my car so far - ALWAYS using the same components front and rear, as the designers did. I have a in-cockpit brake bias adjustment so I can dial in precisely what is needed front to rear. Our cars have substantial rear braking ability and one needs to take advantage of it.

By the way, I had a Whipple GT before the Mosler.

RichieRichZ06 06-23-2011 12:30 PM

Thanks for the recommendations guys!! I responded to the OP's PM with pricing. I would be happy to help out and the only downside is the shipping costs overseas are a bit higher. I think this would be a cool setup for the FGT. I also think the OP should post a couple pics of his TT FGT. :rock:

Andrew M 06-23-2011 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ford GT-TT (Post 1577952127)
I'm a very active member on the Ford GT forum, and it's actually there that I found out that some people are fitting the ZR1 brakes on the GT (including Ray Hoffmann that holds the standing mile 266MPH record in his GT:-)
I use my GT for lots of track days, and I have cooked the brakes a couple of times.
I just thought that I would come to this forum where I guess people have lots of experience with where to get the brakes. I live in Denmark and I don't have many contacts in The States...

Cheers :cheers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR-ZhGKhKOc

Nice car.

However the mile record is not held by that GT or any other GT, the equipment at that event was proven to be faulty. And the fact that the particular car could not back up those speeds anywhere else proves that.

If you want brakes that will make your car stop equal or better than anything else call Stoptech, and get good rubber you will not be disappointed.

Kelly100 06-23-2011 02:35 PM

nice thread but does not belong here