CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Audio/Electronics (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/audio-electronics-20/)
-   -   Pioneer AVIC Z130BT FIRMWARE UPDT (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/audio-electronics/2862806-pioneer-avic-z130bt-firmware-updt.html)

crazyeddie 06-26-2011 09:38 PM

Pioneer AVIC Z130BT FIRMWARE UPDT

Has anybody with the title unit done the firmware update? When I load the SD card the unit just sits there and does nothing. My folder is titled AVICZ110 and the card appears to have data on it. Thanks in advance, this is probably operator error--:crazy2:eddie

markcz 06-26-2011 10:49 PM

Instructions are here.

Are you sure you need the update, it may do nothing if it doesn't need it.

crazyeddie 06-27-2011 06:13 PM

Yes, my version is 3.000 and the update is 3.001. I could have hosed up the download and copy to the card, but it looks good. I just tried loading it again for about 15 minutes and it appears to not be doing anything. I just called Pioneer support and first of all they don't think there is a new firmware update. They are to get back to me, I want to get them to send me a preloaded SD card to see if that works. We shall see, thanks for the response--:crazy2:eddie

crazyeddie 06-29-2011 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by crazyeddie (Post 1577990184)
Yes, my version is 3.000 and the update is 3.001. I could have hosed up the download and copy to the card, but it looks good. I just tried loading it again for about 15 minutes and it appears to not be doing anything. I just called Pioneer support and first of all they don't think there is a new firmware update. They are to get back to me, I want to get them to send me a preloaded SD card to see if that works. We shall see, thanks for the response--:crazy2:eddie

Pioneer stepped up and is sending me the preloaded SD card, now I hopefully can load the firmware update. The Voice Recognition, particularly with my cell phone, just worked intermittently so I'm thinking this will be an improvement. We shall see, nice that Pioneer is sending me this at no charge.:crazy2:eddie

ScrapMaker 05-15-2019 05:35 PM

Guys I don't know if people gave up on this completely, but I have all the raw linux files for the operating system update for my 2016 NAV unit to get Android Auto. It's a full Linux operating system, contained with in BIN files that can be extracted and it's just like any other install I've ever seen. Typical unix filesystem, etc. I've been too lazy to play with it, but hoping to get some time soon.

nburkitt 05-22-2019 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by ScrapMaker (Post 1599408139)
Guys I don't know if people gave up on this completely, but I have all the raw linux files for the operating system update for my 2016 NAV unit to get Android Auto...

Hey - that sounds like just what I came here today to find! Have you, or anyone you know, tried installing it?

ScrapMaker 05-23-2019 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by nburkitt (Post 1599449139)
Hey - that sounds like just what I came here today to find! Have you, or anyone you know, tried installing it?

I'm sure thousands of people have upgraded their 2016 factory headunit to have Android Auto.

nburkitt 05-23-2019 04:23 PM

Yes, no doubt they have, thanks.
I presume, then, that what you are describing as "all the raw Linux files" is in fact the official GM update, and not some reverse-engineered hack? I'm sure I'm missing part of the back story here... :)

ScrapMaker 05-23-2019 05:15 PM

They definitely aren't "all new," but if I figure out how to modify them and still have the unit accept the package, THEN things will get interesting. You'd be surprised how much you have access to in the software. There basic shell scripts to control things like wifi hotspot, even. The biggest challenge is unpacking, modifying, then re-packing in a way that the headunit will still see it as legitimate. There might not be much in the way of protection to prevent improper/modifying files from running, but there are several risks.

Risk Example:
- current running OS sees USB stick upon boot.
- Allows modified file to load/upgrade. Rewrites OS partition.
- Device reboots, and new OS doesn't 'validate' (CRC, encryption, or any number of safety-checks.)
- Since OS won't boot, cannot get into any sort of bootloader, therefore essentially 'bricking' your headunit.

I imagine that would be a costly mistake, so I would want to find someone who is already ripping theirs out.

PikesanC6 08-17-2020 03:13 PM

I had the same problem... tried everything then gave up. I'm gonna try to unzip on the USB like you did... I pretty much hate my DMX905S