CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Clicking noise from gear shifter area when brake pedal is pressed-normal? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2862830-clicking-noise-from-gear-shifter-area-when-brake-pedal-is-pressed-normal.html)

BLU JET 07 06-26-2011 10:12 PM

Clicking noise from gear shifter area when brake pedal is pressed-normal?

I have a '07 A6 C6 with 23K on the clock and starting yesterday I heard something I never heard before-- when I step on the brake pedal to shift out of park, there is a pronouned "click" coming from the shifter area before I even touch the shifter. I was thinking it may be the brake/ shifter interlock mechanism starting to fail but the shifter lock does not move out of the park position unless the brake is pressed so it works as advertised. Any Ideas? Thanks John

blkvet6 06-26-2011 10:17 PM

OMG, yes it's completely normal.... don't worry about it. (It's what allows you to move the shifter out of park once you depress the brake pedal.)

MHFontaine 06-26-2011 10:19 PM

Ha...I have a 2011 GS A6 ( 3 weeks old, 600 miles on the clock) and the same thing happens to me...I step on the break and I hear a clicking noise coming from the passenger floor board area...you beat me to the post...WTH ?!?!

ITSGRAND 06-26-2011 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by MHFontaine (Post 1577983444)
Ha...I have a 2011 GS A6 ( 3 weeks old, 600 miles on the clock) and the same thing happens to me...I step on the break and I hear a clicking noise coming from the passenger floor board area...you beat me to the post...WTH ?!?!

You are hearing the brake light and other relays. They are insanely loud in this car.

GARYFINN 06-27-2011 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by ITSGRAND (Post 1577983549)
You are hearing the brake light and other relays. They are insanely loud in this car.

:iagree: common problem

Chevy Cust Svc 06-28-2011 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by BLU JET 07 (Post 1577983391)
I have a '07 A6 C6 with 23K on the clock and starting yesterday I heard something I never heard before-- when I step on the brake pedal to shift out of park, there is a pronouned "click" coming from the shifter area before I even touch the shifter. I was thinking it may be the brake/ shifter interlock mechanism starting to fail but the shifter lock does not move out of the park position unless the brake is pressed so it works as advertised. Any Ideas? Thanks John

If the guys on here are saying it’s a normal condition, then I’d be likely to believe them. However, if you’re nervous you can always get it checked out.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service

c5streak 06-28-2011 02:52 PM

If it just started then you may indeed be having an issue with the park shift interlock. Our '08 started clicking loudly at about 20k and you could feel it distinctly vibrating through the shift knob. It started suddenly, it was not normal, and it was not the brake relay. It was the shift interlock failing. The whole shifter has to be replaced, ours was still under warranty, so I don't have an idea on price. I would say if it suddenly started making the noise, then it's not normal. Otherwise it would have been doing it all along. Good luck!
:salute:

GS-Zero 06-28-2011 03:26 PM

That happens in every automatic car. It's releasing the lock on the gear selector. You're also hearing the brake light relay, a sound that comes from underneath the passenger's side floorboard and is unnecessarily loud.

lastcowboy 06-28-2011 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by BLU JET 07 (Post 1577983391)

wrong fuse for brake...:thumbs:

lastcowboy 06-28-2011 04:21 PM

CORRECT FUSE 5 PRONG

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/IMG_1478.jpg

BLU JET 07 06-28-2011 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by c5streak (Post 1577997670)
If it just started then you may indeed be having an issue with the park shift interlock. Our '08 started clicking loudly at about 20k and you could feel it distinctly vibrating through the shift knob. It started suddenly, it was not normal, and it was not the brake relay. It was the shift interlock failing. The whole shifter has to be replaced, ours was still under warranty, so I don't have an idea on price. I would say if it suddenly started making the noise, then it's not normal. Otherwise it would have been doing it all along. Good luck!
:salute:

Thanks. I will have it looked into as a precaution since I'm headed on a 5,000 mile round trip to WI for Oshkosh Air Adventure in late July or just have it looked at upon arrival when I get there :thumbs: