CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Bumper Wings Won't stay down (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2864829-bumper-wings-wont-stay-down.html)

Danspeed1 06-29-2011 11:10 PM

Bumper Wings Won't stay down

Any ideas on how I can keep the corners of my bumper down. The clips won't hold them down no matter what I do.

Dan

DSOMC6 06-29-2011 11:30 PM

The clips are made of plastic and wear-out over time. Have you tried replacing them? Is your bumper/facia installed correctly? You can always wipe clean the area underneath and try a small strip of heavy duty double sided tape.

Motorhead-47 06-30-2011 06:25 AM

If you are talking about the upper left and right corners where the bumper cover meets the hood/fender and if you've had the front fascia off, then what you probably have are broken clips. Those plastic clips are about $4.00 each at your dealer. I replaced one for a friend recently and it took about 15 minutes max. If you need photos and details let me know. It's a no-brainer to replace though.

Danspeed1 06-30-2011 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47 (Post 1578012182)
If you are talking about the upper left and right corners where the bumper cover meets the hood/fender and if you've had the front fascia off, then what you probably have are broken clips. Those plastic clips are about $4.00 each at your dealer. I replaced one for a friend recently and it took about 15 minutes max. If you need photos and details let me know. It's a no-brainer to replace though.

I had a body shop recently replace them. Hopefully they were replaced with new ones. Any bumper adhesive I can use on this thing to keep them down?

DG

Motorhead-47 06-30-2011 06:09 PM

6 Attachment(s)
If everything is as it should be I can't see any reason to glue down the front fascia.

Here is the condition we are talking about. There is a pair of fasteners under here that secure the corners of the fascia to the fender. You can see the edge is up if you look closely at the circled area.

Attachment 48182796

This is what the pair of fasteners look like. The fascia slips over the larger one and the smaller round fastener with the ramp is what locks into a recess in the fascia to keep it down.

Attachment 48182797

Attachment 48182798

Here is the recess in the fascia that the ramped fastener locks into

Attachment 48182799

Here is what the new fastener looks like. The bayonet end plugs into the fender

Attachment 48182800

Here is what I found with my friend's car. As you can see the larger fastener is broken which doesn't retain the fascia so that the ramp won't lock into the indent.

Attachment 48182801

To replace it all that I had to do was snip the flat plastic piece on the fastener off and the bayonet side fell away into the fender. The new fastener just pops in. You'll want to remove the ?7mm? bolts that hold the entire fascia under the hood across the middle.

Hope that made sense.

C6topless 07-02-2011 02:49 AM

by any chance did you get the part number? my local dealership hires only people with IQs in the single digits and they cannot look it up to save their life..

jdwk 07-02-2011 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by C6topless (Post 1578028515)
by any chance did you get the part number? my local dealership hires only people with IQs in the single digits and they cannot look it up to save their life..

I think you are giving them too much credit.

Motorhead-47 07-02-2011 07:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by C6topless (Post 1578028515)

:rofl: Found it in an earlier post...

Attachment 48182802

and the small ramped fastener is

Attachment 48182803

CHUXDRM 07-02-2011 08:16 AM

Great info here, but do these wear or break just out of the blue? Or are you guys doing some work or rework on your front ends to disturb them?

Motorhead-47 07-02-2011 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by CHUXDRM (Post 1578029047)
Great info here, but do these wear or break just out of the blue? Or are you guys doing some work or rework on your front ends to disturb them?

In the case of the one I've fixed the front fascia had been off previously for a supercharger install. The clip probably broke during the re-install of the fascia but went unnoticed for several months. It's a simple hard plastic part...easily broken.

C6topless 07-02-2011 06:43 PM

I had some warranty work done at a dealership and I failed to fully inspect my Vette when it was returned. I know -- my bad.

I don't want to risk giving them my vette again... so I am going to fix it myself.

Licit 03-13-2012 01:19 PM

So I called local dealership and tried to order part# 11561329, they tell me it comes in a package of 10 and I have to order 10 of them at $7.05 each. Are you fecking kidding me? Like they couldn't order the bag of 10 and sell me 1. Told him I'll figure something else out as I don't need 9 extra clips for display around my house.

Still so glad I found this thread linked from an unrelated thread. Tired of my bumper being off on one side.

Just ordered from Gene Culley site, $3.67 part, $9.99 shipping. Guess it's worth it if it works.

Licit 03-14-2012 09:34 AM

Anyone that replaced one or both pieces have everything work out? I ended up needing both pieces after I went and saw the ramped piece was worn out as well, really pisses me off the guy who swapped bumpers didn't say anything about it back when he did the work. Not like I would have had a problem with an extra $5 for fasteners to make the bumper wing stay where it should.

smokechop 12-13-2012 02:48 PM

Thanks family, your help was great. picking clips up friday!!!!!:woohoo:

JCtx 12-13-2012 09:41 PM

This POS car was designed for each panel to be installed once. Everything panel you remove will end up with a tab (or tabs) broken, clips broken or damaged, and the plastic that hold push clips mangled, so clips end up with play (and rattles). Incredible. That's why I'm not touching it unless I really have to. Oh, and to add insult to injury, most dealerships want you to order the whole freaking panel. Geez. Frustrating indeed. Good luck.

Larry Myers 12-14-2012 05:35 PM

Anytime I remove the front facia I replace those four pos fastners.

Vital Velocity 12-24-2012 10:27 AM

Perfect, thanks for info

C6topless 12-24-2012 11:41 AM

A long over due follow up -- I ordered the tabs and ramps from gene ... got them super fast. installed the new clips and haven't had any problems in over a year.

Caddy Man 04-07-2013 12:32 PM

Hi guys, I have a question. If you refer to the last picture in post #5, that is the part that is broken on my car. I understand how to put the new part in, but how do I go about taking the broken part out? What is the best method?

I know in that post it says to "snip" off the flat piece. Well how is that supposed to work since the flat piece is flush against the fender?

Thanks!

ncvette_1FUNRIDE 04-07-2013 05:01 PM

You could take a wood chisel and carefully chop off the part that shows BUT it is only pressed into the hole. You should be able to get a small screwdriver (flat head) behind that part and just pry it out.