CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Got my FRC done, Heads, Cam, Intake, Tune etc... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2866462-got-my-frc-done-heads-cam-intake-tune-etc.html)

STROKD 07-02-2011 05:28 PM

Got my FRC done, Heads, Cam, Intake, Tune etc...

I bought my fiance's old Nassau in April. It's a 1999 FRC which she replaced with a 2000 model which I have posted some pics of before with the HREs. When I got it, it had 108K miles on it and was running decent, but definetly not a hot rod. It also had a terrible squeal, something you'd hear on a 1980s Caddy or something, but it wasn't powersteering belt...

When I took it to my old friends' new shop True Street in McKinney, Texas, we found that the idler and tensioner for the AC were not working correctly. Also Sean pointed out that my pulley/harmonic balancer was loose and wobbling... I wanted to eventually do a cam, and since they said over half of the work was swapping the balancer on a cam install we did it all at once. I wanted something docile and with zero surging, and Sean (the Corvette guru) picked out the cam for me. I specifically requested that I didn't want terrible gas mileage or for it to surge while driving it (characteristics of my C6!).

So as they are working on it, I decide to source some heads and manifold because the 99 has 843s and the intake is less than desireable for power.

I found some 243 heads on Tech off a 05 GTO, that had already had PRC springs good for .675 lift, and bought an intake from "PRE-Z06" off a 04Z with a ported TB... ls7 lifters, Comp pushrods, C5R timing set etc etc... had all of that installed and it lasted HALF a dyno pull and something broke. Made a wierd rattle with low oil pressure...:ack: The motor had a lot of miles and had been pinging and running lean for the 3 years we had it, so I figured it was just ready to die.

Found a 04 GTO LS1, again from Tech, and had it shipped to True Street. Got all the new parts off the old motor swapped over to the unkown block I sourced and it runs fantastic... no bucking or surging, even down to 900 rpm in sixth, and it drives better than new. It doesn't make hardly any more power till 3500 then at 5k it gets pulls hard. Feels like it has a 100 shot on it once you get it wound up. BTW I don't have headers on it yet... Should easily make 400 or more when I do headers and x pipe this winter...

Thanks again to the guys at True Street. They called me every couple days to lmk what was going on with the car, and they even went to powerspray the entire engine bay when the motor was out. The engine bay looks brand new now!:woohoo:

It made 308SAE stock with intake and z06 mufflers, and now it makes 380SAE. The graph is in STD correction. It was also 71 when I did the first pull and 102 yesterday.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...KD/99FRC_1.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...IDynoGraph.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...hotos00016.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...hotos00012.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...hotos00018.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...hotos00021.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...hotos00024.jpg

RetiredSFC 97 07-02-2011 05:43 PM

Good numbers and great looking car! Don't know what something like this cost but is it worth it in the long run? Just curious not being a wise guy!

My FRC dynoed 308 RWHP bone stock so I guess that's pretty typical.

Do you race it?

had2have-it 07-02-2011 05:55 PM

388 hp is a pretty good number for a well mannered daily driver. Which cam and exhaust are you running?

STROKD 07-02-2011 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97 (Post 1578032458)
Good numbers and great looking car! Don't know what something like this cost but is it worth it in the long run? Just curious not being a wise guy!

My FRC dynoed 308 RWHP bone stock so I guess that's pretty typical.

Do you race it?

It would have been less if I didn't have to buy another motor...:rofl:

Its about half the price of a normal supercharger install. They replaced a lot of parts on my car since it was old, so the price varries obviously depending on what you need.

Since it is my "daily" Corvette (I don't drive my C6 much), I wanted it fairly easy to drive. Low 400s to the wheels (when I get headers) is very reliable, my mpg is identical to before and thats with a lot of idling due to not wanting the car to heat up inside etc... I took all those pics besides the engine shots with it running so it'd stay cold inside.:rofl: So I have the sound of a cam (if you are into that) and no downside... same mpg, easy to drive, and it goes fast when you want to get on the freeway. No I don't plan to race it at the track more than a couple times, just to know what it'll do, but it should run low 12s, high 11s @ 118-120 because the car is very light. It weighed 3220 with a full tank and me in the car last time to the track. Thats 100 lbs less than my 1LT C6!:eek:

STROKD 07-02-2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by had2have-it (Post 1578032529)
388 hp is a pretty good number for a well mannered daily driver. Which cam and exhaust are you running?

stock 99 exhaust manifolds, stock h pipe with cats cut out (didn't do it to be cool, my fiance is cheap and didn't want to throw down 500 for cats when the stocks went bad), and z06 ti catback... cam is a G5x2 on a 114 LSA... heads and intake are not ported, but again the TB is. I know it will pick up a good amount with headers...

spec on cam is 232/238 .595/.607 114 LSA.. thats from memory but I think it's accurate.

had2have-it 07-02-2011 06:07 PM

If the car is running good and you're happy with its performance then I guess there might not be a need for headers. But if you ever install a set I bet it would compliment the cam with a noticeable increase...might require a retune. I now see where the headers are planned for this winter, I could recommend ARH 1 3/4 long tubes with their catted x-pipe-( 3" to 2 1/2") this will pep it up pretty good and allow you to bolt up the ti catback without mods. A 3:73 rear diff (I'm assuming you have a 6spd) should make a nice package.

RetiredSFC 97 07-02-2011 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by STROKD (Post 1578032550)
It would have been less if I didn't have to buy another motor...:rofl:

Its about half the price of a normal supercharger install. They replaced a lot of parts on my car since it was old, so the price varries obviously depending on what you need.

Since it is my "daily" Corvette (I don't drive my C6 much), I wanted it fairly easy to drive. Low 400s to the wheels (when I get headers) is very reliable, my mpg is identical to before and thats with a lot of idling due to not wanting the car to heat up inside etc... I took all those pics besides the engine shots with it running so it'd stay cold inside.:rofl: So I have the sound of a cam (if you are into that) and no downside... same mpg, easy to drive, and it goes fast when you want to get on the freeway. No I don't plan to race it at the track more than a couple times, just to know what it'll do, but it should run low 12s, high 11s @ 118-120 because the car is very light. It weighed 3220 with a full tank and me in the car last time to the track. Thats 100 lbs less than my 1LT C6!:eek:

Cool. I drive mine, more than I thought I would. Can't seem to quit driving it.:lol: So in the back of my mind I'm planning on doing something like this as well when it hits over 100K. (currently has 72K)

And I love the sound of a cam:cool: I don't race, and probably won't but it's nice knowing what a car can and will do with a proper setup. Guess it's a guy thing:D

Gonna save this thread so I can refer back to it when the time comes.

STROKD 07-02-2011 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by had2have-it (Post 1578032606)
If the car is running good and you're happy with its performance then I guess there might not be a need for headers. But if you ever install a set I bet it would compliment the cam with a noticeable increase...might require a retune.

very true! I have the mod disease, so I know I already want headers, but I have a twin turbo Mustang I'd rather finish... don't need to keep spending money on the Vettes when they are both running great for once. When the Stang fires up and doesn't need any more large $$$ parts, then Ill throw some headers on this thing just because it really deserves em. I want 1 7/8 Kooks, and those don't come up for sale often used. :rofl:

ronssito 07-03-2011 12:28 AM

One of the best looking cars I've seen on this forum!

:thumbs:

FSTFRC 07-03-2011 01:02 AM

Nice car, enjoy your new setup.

STROKD 07-03-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by FSTFRC (Post 1578034985)

Are you the gentleman with the nb frc on fm5s? I'm the guy you met at dallas raceway. You approached me at cars and coffee two months ago when I was in my fiances nb with the chrome hres... We should set up a picture meet with all 3...

Thanks for the kind words everyone... Time to save for brakes! Hahaha

aviatorwes 07-03-2011 10:36 AM

great looking car, nice setup

peter pan 07-03-2011 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by FSTFRC (Post 1578034985)

:iagree:You got a beauty and like the little extra power you got:rock:

smoothblue 07-03-2011 02:07 PM

Great looking car!:thumbs:

chassed 07-03-2011 06:30 PM

very nice! thats a bad ass car bruh

billla 07-03-2011 06:56 PM

Sweet ride, and those are excellent RW numbers!

The black and blue is really a nice combo!

Vetteman Jack 07-03-2011 07:07 PM

Nice numbers you got out of the mods. And I do like the looks of the car - that Nassau blue color is :cool:.

KorbenDallas 07-03-2011 07:11 PM

Good story :flag:

FSTFRC 07-04-2011 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by STROKD (Post 1578036487)
Are you the gentleman with the nb frc on fm5s? I'm the guy you met at dallas raceway. You approached me at cars and coffee two months ago when I was in my fiances nb with the chrome hres... We should set up a picture meet with all 3...

Thanks for the kind words everyone... Time to save for brakes! Hahaha

Yes that's me. How's the C6 running? Have you been to the track lately? Sounds good I have friend that takes really good picture's and another that has the HDR processing down to an art. Just let me know when you have time.

STROKD 07-04-2011 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by FSTFRC (Post 1578042128)
Yes that's me. How's the C6 running? Have you been to the track lately? Sounds good I have friend that takes really good picture's and another that has the HDR processing down to an art. Just let me know when you have time.

C6 runs great! Haven't been to track since Nov when I broke halfshaft, but I do plan to take in in Nov and hope to get a 9 out of on slicks... Ran a 10.6 @ almost 140 with a bogging 1.96 60 foot.. Haha