CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   1970 Stingray Corvette, 454 and 390 horsepower-- HELP Please, out of ideas (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/2870239-1970-stingray-corvette-454-and-390-horsepower-help-please-out-of-ideas.html)

Alonso4034 07-08-2011 11:21 PM

1970 Stingray Corvette, 454 and 390 horsepower-- HELP Please, out of ideas

Ive replaced tthe starter and done an oil change and new gas tank and got a new battery and got a new positive battery cable cause it was stripped hal;f way threw and was touching metal and well i just cant get the car to go. its getting lose to a year of a project and i wanna be able to ride it out already, i try to start it and the fan spins and the engines is turning and i hold it for about 4-5 seconds but no start, i do it again and it does the same thing so i try once again and it spins once then just like chokes it seems, then after that it just chokes right away every time?? idk this has been a problem for a while now?? any help would be great right now.

shank0668 07-08-2011 11:26 PM

Are you getting fuel in the carb?

C3-PO 07-08-2011 11:31 PM

did you do ....

-check for sparks?
-new distributor cap and rotor?
-pour a half cup (4 -6 oz.) gas straight into the carb. somethings gotta light.
- is the timing good?

if it don't pop you still got things to do.

BBCorv70 07-09-2011 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Alonso4034 (Post 1578084536)
i try once again and it spins once then just like chokes it seems, then after that it just chokes right away every time?? idk this has been a problem for a while now?? any help would be great right now.

What do you mean by "it just chokes"? Do you mean it fires, sputter? Or are you saying it stops turning over?

Are you getting fuel to the carb? You should see gas squirting into the bores when you pump the throttle by hand. Maybe a small shot of gas down the throat will get a response. If not, I'd guess ignition problems. Could be points, cap, rotor, timing, etc.

How is the wiring at the starter? There should be a smaller wires on the starter solenoid, one goes to the coil for starting, bypasses the resistance wire built into the wiring harness. All connections good on the solenoid?

Easy Mike 07-09-2011 10:14 AM

Fuel and spark. You haven't mentioned whether you have either. You need both.

:thumbs:

Alonso4034 07-09-2011 02:20 PM

i checked to see if i was getting gas to the carb and i couldnt really see much and it didnt really seem like i was but this after market fuel filter i put on there was full. when i said i ment choke as in it wouldnt crank at all, fan wouldnt spin and engine wouldnt turn at all.

and youll are talking about getting sparks, how can i check all that cause i have no experience with the distributor.

Alonso4034 07-09-2011 03:52 PM

but i cant even get the engine to turn, could it be that i need a bigger battery?? i just have a $60 bettery thats from walmart, should i get like an optima high power battery??

Alonso4034 07-09-2011 03:53 PM

Oh and yes i am getting gas to the carb

...Roger... 07-09-2011 04:08 PM

Pull your plugs out and crank the motor,you might have got gas in a cylinder and locked it up.

66L36Coupe 07-09-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Alonso4034 (Post 1578088938)
but i cant even get the engine to turn, could it be that i need a bigger battery?? i just have a $60 bettery thats from walmart, should i get like an optima high power battery??

You mentioned that the positive battery cable grounded out. If when you engage the ignition the starter doesn't turn, it sounds as though you may have fried the fusible link to the starter.

It's a thick red wire in line with the positive feed to the starter. It's designed to melt so your wiring harness doesn't burn in multiple spots.
:cheers:

C3-PO 07-09-2011 05:28 PM

you will need a $100 battery ....

Originally Posted by Alonso4034 (Post 1578088938)

Your going to need at minimum over 875 cold crank amps. it seems your $60 WalMart battery is not good enough.

bluthundr 07-09-2011 06:00 PM

You Walmart battery is probably fine, is it fully charged?

7T1vette 07-09-2011 06:58 PM

I hope you don't take any offense, Alonso, but you need an 'assistant' who know a bit about cars and can help you sort this problem out. There are many things that could prevent the starter from turning, and trying to inform you of all of them (and how to diagnose and resolve all of them) is not going to happen quickly over the internet.

The 'potential' areas of problem are: starter, starter solenoid, starter fusible link, battery wiring (positive or ground), battery, ignition switch, neutral start switch, any wiring associated with those items listed, and other things I haven't thought of yet.

We can try, but a knowledgeable assistant would be the best kind of help to get.

BOSTONCAMARO 07-09-2011 07:27 PM

like 7t1 said, see if you can have a friend come and go over the basics or even a local garage, who has some experience with older cars....most likely is something simple

7T1vette 07-09-2011 08:37 PM

Yes, but we're all looking for the 'affordable' 50 year/250,000 mile warranty plan for our C3's!! :eek:

TimAT 07-09-2011 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by 7T1vette (Post 1578090750)
Yes, but we're all looking for the 'affordable' 50 year/250,000 mile warranty plan for our C3's!! :eek:

:iagree:
And I'll also have to ask that the guy that does the warranty repair(s) has some gray hair and knows something about (a) Corvettes (b) carbed engines, and (c) performace/muscle cars..

Sunstroked 07-09-2011 09:30 PM

As others have said Alonso, you really should find a good mechanic. One who can read and understand electrical circuits. If you mean that your engine will not turn over when you turn the key, then you have to deal with the starter circuit only. Possible causes. Poor negative battery cable ground, battery, Ignition switch, starter solenoid or wiring to the starter solenoid. Electrical diagnosis can be frustrating. A good multimeter is recommended, a 12v test light as an alternative. And the correct starter circuit wiring diagram for your car.
As a mechanic my first tool is the maintenance manual. Read it until you understand it.
If your engine turns over and will not start then your problem lies elsewhere.
You need 3 things to get that engine to run. Air, fuel and spark. Take away any one of those and your car will not run. Again a competent mechanic who can help with diagnosis is necessary. If you feel you are up to the task, but lack the knowledge, read what I said again. My first tool is the maintenance manual.

Alonso4034 07-10-2011 02:35 PM

its not the Bettery cables, ive replaced both of them. the starter is brand new and i got it tested anyways. battery is only a few months old and is brand new as well and charged. And most mechanics i have tryed seem like real ass's down here in austin, real expensive and i dont feel there worth the money. could it just be that i got the wires on the started mixed up?? if so and i switch them would that cause the starter to go bad??
Ive feel like ive heard ignition switch from someone else, where would it be on my car exactly// i have zero experience with electrical stuff.

...Roger... 07-10-2011 02:45 PM

Alonzo , does the engine try to crank over ? Or is there NO clicking ? Does your Amp gauge react when you turn the key to crank or start ?

djrammer 07-10-2011 02:55 PM

If you have Spark and Fuel, try this - turn on the headlights and try to start the car. If the lights remain on, you may have a loose contact or a wire not attached to the starter. If the lights go out, you may again have a bad contact or the starter is taking all the juice from the battery. Is the starter new or a rebuilt?

good luck