CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   loosing weight (corvette) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/287632-loosing-weight-corvette.html)

LayZ 04-26-2002 10:40 AM

loosing weight (corvette)

I found a book that said the 86 corvette at the curb weighs 3086lbs. If i wanted to get the car to 2500lbs what would i have to do? I mean the car is already fiberglass?

Mr Mojo 04-26-2002 10:55 AM

Re: loosing weight (LayZ)

My book says the '86 weighs 3239 lbs.

My '95 with me in it(190 lbs), no spare, half tank of gas weighed in at 3368 which puts me at 3178,the rated weight of my car is 3209.

You can ditch the passenger seat,carpet,spare, lighter wheels, carbon fiber hood,lexan for the windows, but I don't know how much you would lose. These cars are heavy for a reason. GM tried lightening up with interior stuff which is why it's so cheesy.

hotwilzz 04-26-2002 11:19 AM

mr. mojo is right. the corvette black book and the specs sheet from gm on the 86 shows 3239 unless you have a 4 speed and it weighs 3234. my 86 now weighs 2880, and here is what i've done. the interior is completely gone, no carpet or padding. no console, with the exception of 1 kirkey race seat an the passenger seat, but add back in a full roll cage. no spare tire or carrier, skinned hood ,including the removal of the headlight assbys. no ac. no AIR pump, no heater blower, no hvac ducting, no windshield wipers or motor. no windshield wash res. doors are just the outer skin, including the removal of the side glass. front bumper material removed, hood hinges and support strut removed, hood is now held on with pins. the waterpump has been eliminated from the front of the motor and replaced with a remote located electric wp, which is a little lighter. i'm sure i'm forgetting something at this point, but these are the highlights. the biggest gain i have left is to replace the front and rear glass with lexan and that will not get me to 2500 lbs. hope this gives you some idea of where you are going to have to go to get close

cya david

LayZ 04-26-2002 11:21 AM

Re: loosing weight (Mr Mojo)

How about going with a fiberglass rear panel instead of a urathene one? I thought the rims were aliumiun? I'd need that second seat the wife isn't to fond of my choice in cars as is. If she had to sit on the floor she would really be pissed.

black bart 04-26-2002 12:06 PM

If you want a sports car that weighs less than 2500 trade for ac cobra

Justin1984 04-26-2002 01:14 PM

I saw a picture of a C4 frame and it's probably where alot of the weight lies. The frame extends all the way around the windshield and also the "roll bar". It is easily identifiable as a Corvette.

LayZ 04-26-2002 01:16 PM

Re: loosing weight (black bart)

They are cool but na, I'd rather have my vette. I just thought it would be easier to loose a few pounds then do more mods :D

mackeyred96 04-27-2002 11:39 PM

They are cool but na, I'd rather have my vette. I just thought it would be easier to loose a few pounds then do more mods :D

Thats what they tell me :lol: