CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Prodigy Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2882073-prodigy-z06.html)

Steeler 07-27-2011 07:35 PM

Prodigy Z06

I saw this C2 at a car show (Motorex) in Sydney Australia last weekend, Lots of interest generated and much custom work completed, (Jimmy Shine from So Cal was there too). what do you think? :hide:

http://prodigy-z06.com/ :cheers:

sspeed30043 07-27-2011 07:47 PM

Right hand drive?? or are all of the pictures reversed???

Steeler 07-27-2011 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by sspeed30043 (Post 1578249896)
Right hand drive?? or are all of the pictures reversed???

:iagree: Yes - RHD, no Photo shop! :thumbs:

jdk971 07-27-2011 07:56 PM

do not like the bottom of the body. prefer the original with a ls. jim

aussieross01 07-27-2011 08:25 PM

OK guys, take it easy, this is my car.

I don't expect it will get much positive feedback on this forum, but it was well received beyond my wildest dreams at Motorex.

It is not meant to be, nor was my intention to build a standard car.

I've been a Corvette guy most of my life, and I am sooo bored with restoring and restored cars, but I certainly respect those who share a different view.
Prodigy is my long time dream car, and represents my interpretation of what a '63 SWC could look like today.

It is contemporary in design, and over 7,000 hours have been spent in building her.
Donor car was a 2003 Z06, body tub was from a '64 that had been cut in two with major rust in the birdcage.

I realise it's not everybody's cup of tea, and that's fine. I built it for myself, not to be popular, or attract accolades here.

If however, it inspires somebody else on their dream, and I can help them, then this is worth it.
my email is brspurling@bigpond.com

Many thanks
Ross

Mark_Milner 07-27-2011 08:29 PM

Did the body designer go to the same School of Design as the builder of this car?

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...1OTM2._V1_.jpg

http://prodigy-z06.com/Before%20and%...digy%20(1).jpg

AZDoug 07-27-2011 08:35 PM

Only thing i don't like is the front end/grill/headlight area, the rest of the car looks very nice.

The front end, with the headlights open, reminds me of the Brain Bug in Starship Troopers.

Doug

Steeler 07-27-2011 08:37 PM

Hi Ross
I saw your car at Motorex :cool: and it certainly inspired me, sooo much custom work, it’s your dream and it’s a credit to you, very well executed. (I suppose you saved two vettes, the '64 coupe and the C5 Z06), (the yellow RHD C5 Zo6 at the auction sold for $AU 60k). :thumbs:

5thvet 07-27-2011 08:38 PM

I think it looks great! A melting pot of the old and new. Great craftmanship!!:cool:

aussieross01 07-27-2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mark_Milner (Post 1578250269)
Did the body designer go to the same School of Design as the builder of this car?

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...1OTM2._V1_.jpg

http://prodigy-z06.com/Before%20and%...digy%20(1).jpg

No Mate, this was a design I used to scribble on my school desk back in the mid sixties.

With the help from a very talented friend, we made my dream a reality, and this journey started in 2005.

aussieross01 07-27-2011 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Steeler (Post 1578250345)
Hi Ross
I saw your car at Motorex :cool: and it certainly inspired me, sooo much custom work, it’s your dream and it’s a credit to you, very well executed. (I suppose you saved two vettes, the '64 coupe and the C5 Z06), (the yellow RHD C5 Zo6 at the auction sold for $AU 60k). :thumbs:

Hey thanks Steeler,

I wasn't sure whether you NSW vette guys were just being polite or really liked the car. Appreciate your sentiments.

$60k for that low mileage '03 Z06 with 24k's was a bloody bargain I reckon.
Ross

BrentF 07-27-2011 09:24 PM

Impressive workmanship! Needs a front bumper in my opinion.

spaceboyjohnny 07-28-2011 03:37 AM

I am the main fabricator of prodigy. And as such i'm going to add my bit...I am responsible for that front, and the rear, and the sides, and the dash, and the hood...i carved them, sculpted them into what you see. I was not blinded by a one eyed corvette fever craving replication of a 50 year old style. I look outside the box and say why not? Its only a corvette, lets chop it up, bring into the 21st century. Lets make something that pops the eyes at the next jelly bean convention.

I am not a corvette enthusiast, when i go to a corvette show i find it about as interesting as a bag of jelly beans. There's a red one, a green one, a yellow one...WOW! will ya look at that! There's a purple one!!! Man he really thought outside the box... Boring, boring, boring... I restore corvettes for a living so when the opportunity came to work on a project like Prodigy i was all in. Having spent too many years restoring junk, both steel cars and corvettes, i am well and truly over it.

What happened to your glory days in the 70s? You Americans made some of the most wild corvette customs (some better than others depending on personal taste). Have you lost your balls? Now its 'must save this endangered species' or something. If its not a stock body, you slam it. Don't like this or that... needs a bumper...Christ, you guys have no vision.

You guys think a wild custom Vette is a stock body with some bolt on bits. A kit car is not a custom.

Get out your angle grinders fella's and make something better then...or shut up.

Why not take a good look at the concept and execution rather than bag design that may not be to your taste?

Dont like my comments... suck it up. I don't care whether you like the car or not, that just personal taste, but i do get pissed off by people like 1sttexan who have nothing constructive to say about another guys dream.

redred65cpe 07-28-2011 08:33 AM

I like it! Good choice of interior color. IMO red (maybe blue) is the only option for a silver/gray car. Black is boring.

larry

OldKarz 07-28-2011 09:42 AM

I like it!:thumbs:. Spaceboy cool your jets. Your not going to win any arguments anywhere making those type of comments. This is an open forum where people may speak their mind. :cheers:

richscorvettes 07-28-2011 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Steeler (Post 1578249760)
I saw this C2 at a car show (Motorex) in Sydney Australia last weekend, Lots of interest generated and much custom work completed, (Jimmy Shine from So Cal was there too). what do you think? :hide:

http://prodigy-z06.com/ :cheers:

Design preferences are certainly subjective and very personal and there will often be debate regarding at least some aspect of the styling of most any custom. But you can't argue that the car doesn't represent the vision of the owner and that it required an enormous effort to bring to life.

Having witnessed this project as it's progressed over the last several years Ross and his team have conquered a mountain of work in building the car and there are many things to appreciate about the finished product especially the outstanding craftsmanship.

Ross, congratulations on completing the project and the recognition and awards earned at the Motorex event.

Rich

aussieross01 07-28-2011 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by richscorvettes (Post 1578259405)
Design preferences are certainly subjective and very personal and there will often be debate regarding at least some aspect of the styling of most any custom. But you can't argue that the car doesn't represent the vision of the owner and that it required an enormous effort to bring to life.

Having witnessed this project as it's progressed over the last several years Ross and his team have conquered a mountain of work in building the car and there are many things to appreciate about the finished product especially the outstanding craftsmanship.

Ross, congratulations on completing the project and the recognition and awards earned at the Motorex event.

Rich

Hey thanks Mate.

Well,the response was no more than I was expecting.

I can understand Darryll's little outburst ( spaceboyjohnny ). He bought my design to life with a great deal of passion. Also being as artistic and creative as he is, is prone to be a tad sensitive, and that's fair enough.
He was pissed at the texan's comments, and I don't blame him.

I guess the frustrating and disapointing thing for me is the off the cuff comments from forum members, shooting from the hip without taking the trouble to understand what we have done, and why.
But hey!, I guess that's life on the forum.

Sincere thanks for all your help and support over the years Rich. You have been a great source of encouragement and inspiration.
Ther's a lot of folk here that could do with taking a leaf out of your book:- thanks mate.
Ross

Some folk seem to have nothing better to do in life but surf the forums

Mark_Milner 07-28-2011 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by spaceboyjohnny (Post 1578252650)
I am the main fabricator of prodigy. And as such i'm going to add my bit...I am responsible for that front, and the rear, and the sides, and the dash, and the hood...i carved them, sculpted them into what you see. I was not blinded by a one eyed corvette fever craving replication of a 50 year old style. I look outside the box and say why not? Its only a corvette, lets chop it up, bring into the 21st century. Lets make something that pops the eyes at the next jelly bean convention.

I am not a corvette enthusiast, when i go to a corvette show i find it about as interesting as a bag of jelly beans. There's a red one, a green one, a yellow one...WOW! will ya look at that! There's a purple one!!! Man he really thought outside the box... Boring, boring, boring... I restore corvettes for a living so when the opportunity came to work on a project like Prodigy i was all in. Having spent too many years restoring junk, both steel cars and corvettes, i am well and truly over it.

What happened to your glory days in the 70s? You Americans made some of the most wild corvette customs (some better than others depending on personal taste). Have you lost your balls? Now its 'must save this endangered species' or something. If its not a stock body, you slam it. Don't like this or that... needs a bumper...Christ, you guys have no vision.

You guys think a wild custom Vette is a stock body with some bolt on bits. A kit car is not a custom.

Get out your angle grinders fella's and make something better then...or shut up.

Why not take a good look at the concept and execution rather than bag design that may not be to your taste?

Dont like my comments... suck it up. I don't care whether you like the car or not, that just personal taste, but i do get pissed off by people like 1sttexan who have nothing constructive to say about another guys dream.

Boring? Yes, I agree with you. Go to a show and see 5 red '63 Corvettes and after the first, they are all the same. Sort of, anyway. :iagree:

What happened? NCRS, Bloomington Gold, and Barrett Jackson. When the money all started going to the original cars and the stock cars, buyers began to ignore the customs and the hot rods and anyone building one was sure to lose their shirt more than they did before.

Customs and hot rods were always a financial burden you bore because you loved it, but in the '80s and '90s, you were often crucified for it. And most quit.
:leaving:

Yes, most Americans don't have a set anymore. If they did, we wouldn't screwed around in Iraq and Afghanistan for 10 years, we wouldn't have 15% of our population illegal, we wouldn't be setting baby killers free, we wouldn't be having gay marriages, and a lot of other things that disgust me.
:salute:

Yes, it is all about personal tastes. You'll find most tastes here quite different than many areas. You'll find many on here critical of the rice rockets that are very popular in other age groups. Customs usually don't go over well here, although the purists all seem to love the Grand Sport customs and the LS-1, LS-2, etc. retromod customs.

I guess if you put a high enough price tag on it, they love it.

You do excellent work. It just has several elements that do not appeal to me. Peter Max used to do excellent work. But if he painted my car, I'd probably throw up.

So, mate, take your own advice "I don't care whether you like the car or not, that just personal taste" and don't worry if anyone here likes it or not.

Cheers

argonaut 07-29-2011 08:56 AM

Wow, that is an amazing car. I'm in awe of you guys who can do this type of work. Well done.

sub006 07-29-2011 09:11 AM

I like the look of the new car headlights when rolled out, but would shorten the grille to C2 height, add original turn signals and a black spoiler/curtain on the bottom.

THANK YOU for the six tail lights which should have appeared at some time between '63 and '67.

In all, a fantastic effort and new benchmark.