CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Are the "Tintcoat" paints a pearl type paint? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2888357-are-the-tintcoat-paints-a-pearl-type-paint.html)

Tide Will Roll! 08-06-2011 04:17 PM

Are the "Tintcoat" paints a pearl type paint?

Were(2009/2010 etc.) the extra cost colors like Velocity Yellow, Atomic Orange, Magnetic Red and Jetstream Blue a "pearl type paint" ?:hide:

Do those colors, change like a pearl in different light conditions?

Just curious:D

Thanks

Bert?

laconiajack 08-06-2011 05:09 PM

I have the premium Crystal Red Metallic Tintcoat (2009) and I wouldn't say it changes color in the light like some paints I've seen, although the reflective "metallic" nature of the paint obviously comes alive in the sun.

Thrill6 08-06-2011 07:10 PM

They are all three-stage paints (base coat, tint coat, clear coat) vs. two-stage (base coat, clear coat). They cost more because it requires more steps and therefore higher manufacturing costs.

Gary '09 C6 08-06-2011 07:15 PM

I think the JSB appears to vary its hue in different lighting conditions...a condition of the metallic flaking in the paint.

I like it...

suspect the other tintcoats behave similarly...

SpryGeezer 08-06-2011 07:17 PM

Velocity Yellow is just yellow, no sparkles.

Gary '09 C6 08-06-2011 07:23 PM

thanks for clarifying...

talon90 08-06-2011 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Thrill6 (Post 1578339910)
They are all three-stage paints (base coat, tint coat, clear coat) vs. two-stage (base coat, clear coat). They cost more because it requires more steps and therefore higher manufacturing costs.

Actually this is incorrect. Every car painted in Bowling Green is painted with a primer, a color coat and a clear coat. The premium tint coat cars use a tinted clear coat to affect a change on the final color as viewed. They cost more because there are only two clear coat robots in the paint shop and in order to paint a tint coat car they need to purge and clean the robots, spray the tintcoat panels and then purge and clean the robots to go back to conventional clar.

Atomic Punk 08-06-2011 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Thrill6 (Post 1578339910)

:iagree:

laconiajack 08-06-2011 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by talon90 (Post 1578340053)
Actually this is incorrect. Every car painted in Bowling Green is painted with a primer, a color coat and a clear coat. The premium tint coat cars use a tinted clear coat to affect a change on the final color as viewed. They cost more because there are only two clear coat robots in the paint shop and in order to paint a tint coat car they need to purge and clean the robots, spray the tintcoat panels and then purge and clean the robots to go back to conventional clar.

This man knows what he is talking about. How refreshing!

GotVett? 08-06-2011 11:45 PM

Paul knows and is pretty much the last word. :thumbs:

Russell ZR1 08-07-2011 12:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
mine is the crystal red tint coat, i haven't seen any pearlescent in it, but the metallic part is really cool, the flakes are the part that shoot out a color blast, this color really "pops" in the sun

phileaglesfan 08-07-2011 01:05 AM

These colors are also the hardest to match later on. Atomic Orange is extremely hard especially since they had different shades of it.

My wife's vehicle is an 09 GMC Yukon XL Denali with a White Diamond Tricoat. Looks fantastic but I've already been told I don't want to repaint a single area.

Swiftrider08 08-07-2011 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by talon90 (Post 1578340053)

While I do agree with your definition of the 3-step process, I am not buying that GM is charging more because of the color change sequence that takes place for the tinted clear. As far as I now, Bowling Green does not "batch paint" in the basecoat zone (painting several vehicles of the same color before changing to a new color), so that purge and refill sequence(color change) is going on all day in basecoat. I would think that the simple reason is nothing more than the tinted clear is used less (lower volume/higher cost) and just costs more to produce. :cheers:

b4i4getit 08-07-2011 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08 (Post 1578343136)
While I do agree with your definition of the 3-step process, I am not buying that GM is charging more because of the color change sequence that takes place for the tinted clear. As far as I now, Bowling Green does not "batch paint" in the basecoat zone (painting several vehicles of the same color before changing to a new color), so that purge and refill sequence(color change) is going on all day in basecoat. I would think that the simple reason is nothing more than the tinted clear is used less (lower volume/higher cost) and just costs more to produce. :cheers:

The other reason is profit. GM charges more for these colors on the C6 because they can. People still order them so its easy money for GM. Consider also that the EXACT same colors are available on lesser GM products with no upcharge. If you want it you are going to pay for it. :ack:

m R g S r 08-07-2011 09:58 AM

many car manufacturers tack on $500-1000 charges for "premium" paints....not just GM!

HalfMoon 08-07-2011 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by b4i4getit (Post 1578343660)
Consider also that the EXACT same colors are available on lesser GM products with no upcharge.

Not sure about many other models, but Chevrolet charges $325 for the Crystal Red Metallic on the Cruze, a much cheaper car. Also, the Black Granite on the Cruze is $195 extra.

W/o checking every model, I would bet that if they are upcharging for it on the Cruze where there is very little margin and on the Corvette with a much better margin ratio, they are doing it on all models.

ETA: A quick check of the site shows Chevrolet charges the same price across all models for the tintcoat and black granite finishes. Also, the White Diamond color is $995. Buick also charges the same, with the exception of the White Diamond on the Enclave, its only $795 there. I'd guess that's because it's much smaller than the full sized Avalanche that Chevy paints that color. Seems like they have set a standard for these colors.

talon90 08-07-2011 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08 (Post 1578343136)

Actually, they do in fact batch paint and you can see it anytime you enter the assembly plant (even on a public tour). As trucks are coming from the paint line out on to the final conveyer prior to inspection you will see sleds of the same color as far as the eye can see in groups and then a new group of colors will emerge. You can also see it in evidence on the line as groups of 10 or 11 of the same color in progression on the line.

Of course and I do agree that there is a price difference between the tint coat and conventional clear as well as the lower volume of course comes in to play but it is reflected in the form of a higher upcharge when compared to all of the other models using the same paint ($850 for Crystal Red on the Corvette as compared to $325 on the Camaro, Cruze and HHR for example.

b4i4getit 08-07-2011 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by m R g S r (Post 1578343806)
many car manufacturers tack on $500-1000 charges for "premium" paints....not just GM!

Just because they do does not make it right. The actual cost to the manufacturer is minimal. This is profit making pure and simple. That so many of us get swayed to pay more for a color is interesting. You will find that on resale the extra cost you paid for a certain color does not matter. That money could have been better spent on options that may increase value and satisfaction for the car.

HalfMoon 08-07-2011 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by b4i4getit (Post 1578344376)
Just because they do does not make it right. The actual cost to the manufacturer is minimal. This is profit making pure and simple. That so many of us get swayed to pay more for a color is interesting. :ack:

Are you sure? That's hard to backup unless you're an insider and know the impact on the process. Those colors may require additional inspection and add to the procedures that are normally used. Also, they may have a higher percentage of failure/issues, or just plain material cost. It could be any number of things, including knowing that some people will just pay for it, so why not? This is still a free market and the market sets the price.

Without being able to see the actual BOM cost it's all speculation.

Turbo6TA 08-07-2011 11:23 AM

And then you have the Supersonic Blue (SSB) ... I don't believe it is a "tintcoat", but it costs an extra $300.