CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Zr1 vs Mercedes SLS AMG (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2892998-zr1-vs-mercedes-sls-amg.html)

brooklync5 08-13-2011 09:42 PM

Zr1 vs Mercedes SLS AMG

Wed at 10pm est on the speed channel. Just saw it on a commercial figured I would let you guys know.

Racer 08-13-2011 09:47 PM

Well, MB lovers better hope they take everything into consideration in the comparison because if it is on performance only, this is going to be a first round KO for the ZR1. :yesnod:

SSTEVEGS 08-13-2011 10:01 PM

Isn't that "The Car Show" which is the US version of a British car show? They'll knock the interior for sure! I drive a buddy's 2009 SL500 and to me, the interior of that car is nothing to write home about... Overall, I prefer the Corvette interior.

NRVUZ 08-13-2011 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by brooklync5 (Post 1578405333)
Wed at 10pm est on the speed channel. Just saw it on a commercial figured I would let you guys know.

Good looking out :thumbs: I will surely tune in for this one!

brooklync5 08-13-2011 11:37 PM

Hopefully will be a performance comparison rather that a quality comparison.

CodyC6 08-13-2011 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by SSTEVEGS (Post 1578405540)
Isn't that "The Car Show" which is the US version of a British car show? They'll knock the interior for sure! I drive a buddy's 2009 SL500 and to me, the interior of that car is nothing to write home about... Overall, I prefer the Corvette interior.

Wrong show. That's Top Gear.

C5North 08-14-2011 12:04 AM

blah, blah, blah, Corvette stomps a mud hole in the Mercedes, blah, blah, Corvette interior sucks, blah, blah, blah, Corvette is for dudes wearing gold chains, blah, blah, blah Mercedes WINS!

Kevin_NYC 08-14-2011 12:14 AM

The charisma of the SLS is epic in person

When those doors rise it's like a Cobra snake rearing up

Exhaust tone is amazing, like Ford GT

Interior like G4 plane

DRLC5 08-14-2011 12:18 AM

ZR1 all the way. But the new SLS AMG is no slouch, claimed 0-60 in 3.5 pretty quick car. They also sound great.. But it is very expensive.

jimb100 08-14-2011 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by DRLC5 (Post 1578406613)
ZR1 all the way. But the new SLS AMG is no slouch, claimed 0-60 in 3.5 pretty quick car. They also sound great.. But it is very expensive.

IIRC, Top Gear found the SLS very hard to handle. I don't remember where it placed on the speed board.

I also don't remember the price being double the ZR1, less than half again, I think.

Of course the quality and craftsmanship is that of a hand made rather than assembly line car.

If we are racing, I'll take the ZR1. Going to the country club to play a round and impress potential investors, hard to beat the Benz.

DRLC5 08-14-2011 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by jimb100 (Post 1578406707)
IIRC, Top Gear found the SLS very hard to handle. I don't remember where it placed on the speed board.

I also don't remember the price being double the ZR1, less than half again, I think.

Of course the quality and craftsmanship is that of a hand made rather than assembly line car.

If we are racing, I'll take the ZR1. Going to the country club to play a round and impress potential investors, hard to beat the Benz.

Our Local Dealership had one with a sticker around 200k?

cthusker 08-14-2011 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by DRLC5 (Post 1578406736)
Our Local Dealership had one with a sticker around 200k?

Sounds about right considering starting price is around 180 grand!

TBIRD57 08-14-2011 01:20 AM

yep

Originally Posted by jimb100 (Post 1578406707)

i agree! i think the zr1 will thrash it. i really don't see this m-b model being around very long. seen a new SLR lately?

Licit 08-14-2011 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC (Post 1578406598)
The charisma of the SLS is epic in person

When those doors rise it's like a Cobra snake rearing up

Exhaust tone is amazing, like Ford GT

Interior like G4 plane

But it keeps getting reviewed as much less impressive than numbers would indicate. Usually the sum up consists of "With this price you would expect a lot more."

phileaglesfan 08-14-2011 02:23 AM

If they have a chump driving the ZR1 like the one that drove it on the US Top Gear then the ZR1 might be in trouble. SLS is an extremely quick car. I like its commercial where it drove upside down thru a tunnel, I think near Vancouver, BC.

Silver05GTO 08-14-2011 03:46 AM

I'd take the SLS over any current Corvette all day long, not even a question. I can live with it being a tick or 2 slower in performance......the SLS is so much more unique and will be a collector car if it isn't one already. But back to reality, without hitting the lottery I'd never get the chance to own one lol.

dvilin 08-14-2011 07:21 AM

:iagree:

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO (Post 1578407172)
I'd take the SLS over any current Corvette all day long, not even a question. I can live with it being a tick or 2 slower in performance......the SLS is so much more unique and will be a collector car if it isn't one already. But back to reality, without hitting the lottery I'd never get the chance to own one lol.

brooklync5 08-14-2011 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO (Post 1578407172)

:iagree: as well

capevettes 08-14-2011 09:20 AM

A friend of mine has a 2 year old AMG SLS. He told me to take it out and give it a flogging :D. Compared to my Z06 the car did not feel agile. It felt heavy in the corners. It felt slower off the line and had considerable turbo lag when you jumped on it from 35 mph. Once it got going it was fast but not electrifying. I was anticipating much more. I was not impressed. Very comfortable, beautiful car but not my cup of tea.

Unless the newer SLS AMG is significantly better the ZR1 should walk away from it in a straight line and certainly will bury it on a road course.

Kevin_NYC 08-14-2011 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Licit (Post 1578406900)
But it keeps getting reviewed as much less impressive than numbers would indicate. Usually the sum up consists of "With this price you would expect a lot more."

MSRP is $185K; car needs nothing, no options.

I have probably seen 100,000+ sports, exotic, classic cars in my life.

I go to pebble beach, Laguna Seca, Long Beach GP, Formula 1, Lime Rock, any/all car events.

Even own a mid engine exotic and vintage roadster.

This SLS just floored me, then blew me away again.

Pictures do no justice.

It has creases, angles in body work that are amazing in person. Very wide, flat and aggressive. Formula 1 style back up light too.

Trust me, when doors open, its space ship like.

Saw it at Mercedes NYC Flagship HQ Showroom on Park Avenue....NYC people have seen it all, and hedge fund/CEO billionaires walk by daily. It caused a traffic jam when they rolled one in.

There is a one year waiting list; and all have been pre-sold. Its priced perfectly and built by AMG, M-Bs racing tune shop. Its below exotics (F458, McClaren, Gallardo) but above entry level super cars (911GT2, GT3, Aston Vantage with blander styling.)

Guaranteed future classic. M-B makes a Gullwing every 50yrs.

ps, No relation to the SLR which was built by McLaren, looked like a $40K SLK and was $450K, and was a sales disaster.