CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/drag-racing-90/)
-   -   Burnout without linelock on drag radials (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/drag-racing/289545-burnout-without-linelock-on-drag-radials.html)

Clink69 04-29-2002 12:06 PM

Burnout without linelock on drag radials

I am having serious problems locking up off the line with my 275/50/15 Nittos. I am not able to do a decent burnout. I have heard there is a method of holding the brake slightly to keep it from lurching forward too soon? Anyone know this method (and can explain it) ? Any other ideas would be appreciated? I have a 4 spd.
I don't really want to put a linelock in.

Thanx Chris

The One 04-29-2002 12:14 PM

Re: Burnout without linelock on drag radials (Clink69)

Chris, what I do is:
1. Wet the DRs
2. Pull into dry ground
3. Put the car in second gear
4. Rev to about 3-4K
5. Dump the clutch and IMMEDIATELY hit the brake with my left foot while playing with the throttle to keep it from bogging
6. Hold the position till I see smoke :D

JC

Steve Row 04-29-2002 01:46 PM

I have been thru two sets of Nitto's and one thing is for sure. You have got to do a decent burnout (smokey, 5-10 seconds!) to get decent traction with them.

I had a line lock on my 2000 Coupe and it really makes it easy. I do not have one now on the Z06, but I basically follow Joe's rules and it works just fine. It did take a little practice. I stalled it a couple of times and got very little tire spin a couple of times.

Now I lightly spin the tires in the water, pull forward out of the water, rev to about 5000, dump the clutch, hit the brake with my left foot while giving it a little more throttle to over come the rear brakes, and just sit there and smoke 'em.

Works great. And it's fun!

jpee 04-29-2002 01:54 PM

Re: Burnout without linelock on drag radials (Steve Row)

, and just sit there and smoke 'em.

Works great. And it's fun!
Yea.. its fun until you have to replace the rear roters & pads :( I love my linelock! Now I only have to spend $340 to replace my 325/50 BFG Drag radials every 2-3 months :(

SPD DMN 04-29-2002 06:24 PM

Re: Burnout without linelock on drag radials

I use a heal-toe technique. Hold my right foot on the brake and use my toe to put the RPMS above 3K and dump the clutch.

J Z06 04-29-2002 07:26 PM

Re: Burnout without linelock on drag radials (Vette92)

I use a heal-toe technique. Hold my right foot on the brake and use my toe to put the RPMS above 3K and dump the clutch.
I simply push down the brake, mat the gas and watch for smoke 5 seconds later.(On the car below...auto)

I used the heel-toe technique on My 5 Speed Mustang Chris. Never had line loc in any car.

[Modified by JD 90 383, 6:27 PM 4/29/2002]

mackeyred96 04-29-2002 07:34 PM

Now I know why I race an AUTO ;)

JameyZ28 04-29-2002 08:15 PM

What about C3 guys? Anybody figure out how to do a decent burnout w/ a 4 speed and no linelock?

Jamey

Mr Mojo 04-29-2002 09:30 PM

Re: Burnout without linelock on drag radials (JameyZ28)

What about C3 guys? Anybody figure out how to do a decent burnout w/ a 4 speed and no linelock?

Jamey
DO like they said above, but you really are better off with a line lock. They can be hidden, bet half the people here can't find mine.

Wild Horzes 04-30-2002 01:05 AM

Re: Burnout without linelock on drag radials (Mr Mojo)

Half the fun is getting a good burn out. It's a bit of challenge to drive a stick and burn out without a line lock. That's the point isn't it? Makes you feel great when you do it right and pissed when you don't. Line locks take out all of the fun. C'mon, rotors and pads aren't that expensive :confused:

Like everyone else, most of the time I hit 5,000 and dump it. I don;t really mash the brakes that hard, just a touch. This usually produces a slow rolling burn which is generally enough to get enough heat to the BFG's and easier on the parts. But, it's much more fun to just sit there and smoke em. BTW, I've fryed the clutch a couple of times by not having enough water in the box and not really dumping the clutch. This makes for an awful smell.

Mr Mojo 04-30-2002 01:22 AM

Re: Burnout without linelock on drag radials (Wild Horzes)

We saw guys getting their rotors glowing red from doing non linelock burnouts. Sorry, but I drive my car to and from the track, I don't own a trailer.

StingrayRacing 04-30-2002 11:05 AM

I was in the same boat as you with Nitto and a 6 speed...get the line lock so you can worry about other things while staging.

Clink69 04-30-2002 12:54 PM

Jamey

DO like they said above, but you really are better off with a line lock. They can be hidden, bet half the people here can't find mine.
Are you talking about hiding the hydraulic lines/connections or the button? where do you hide them?

[Modified by Clink69, 11:56 AM 4/30/2002]

Mike69@ECS 05-01-2002 05:02 PM

Hey Chris Save your self the Headache and get a Line Lock. I installed my switch right under the E- brake Handle, and unless you know it's there you prob wont notice it. As far as the line block, you can tuck it away under your vaccum canister.... No one will be any wiser, untill they see the smokey burnout!

There is no way I can Hold a burnout by power breaking it (like they described above) unless I start off in first and hole the Rpms around 5k! (Not advisable!!!!)

:cheers:

Clink69 05-01-2002 11:07 PM

Re: Burnout without linelock on drag radials (Mike69)

Hey Chris Save your self the Headache and get a Line Lock. I installed my switch right under the E- brake Handle, and unless you know it's there you prob wont notice it. As far as the line block, you can tuck it away under your vaccum canister.... No one will be any wiser, untill they see the smokey burnout!

There is no way I can Hold a burnout by power breaking it (like they described above) unless I start off in first and hole the Rpms around 5k! (Not advisable!!!!)

:cheers:
All,

Thanks for all the replies.. I went out and tried the power brake method and smelled clutch once and found I can't hold the car this way. Feels like something has got to give. Think I'll have to go with the line lock...

Mike,

how does this thing connect up , To the front brake line front one on the master cylinder? also do you mean hide the solenoid? under the vacuum canister?

Chris

:flag

SPD DMN 05-02-2002 12:14 PM

On dry pavement you will roast the clutch either way (with or without a line lock). The water box is very important for getting good burnouts. (Especially on concrete)

Wild Horzes 05-02-2002 04:55 PM

Re: Burnout without linelock on drag radials (Vette92)

I have learned my lesson on frying the clutch. The water box is very important. If you have a poor burnout, DO NOT try again before staging. I have twice and ended up just sitting a spinning the clutch. Ooooh boy does that smell bad. :sad: