CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Mice problem - detection and prevention (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2900691-mice-problem-detection-and-prevention.html)

jdlloyd_95_c4 08-25-2011 03:50 PM

Mice problem - detection and prevention

I had mice attack my 95 coupe last winter. I think I have eradicated them and have repaired some wiring (rear lights harness) and the cargo shade they chewed. I have searched the forum for thoughts on possible entry points and found that the crescent shaped drain points on the door bottom are likely openings. They enter there and go through the door wiring conduits into the dash area evidently. I saw some horrifying pictures of a nest in the dashboard. I have not seen any evidence of mice residing in my dash or creating any messes that are apparent (they took up residence in the passenger side rear fascia cavity where the wiring harness goes through a substantial rubber grommet and there was traces of foam chewings visible). Questions: Is there an easy way to inspect for nests in the dashboard area? I don't know where best to start to inspect in that area. After seeing the damage they did on the rear harness I am very afraid of any hidden damage in the dash harnesses. Also, there was a recommendation for taping up or inserting a wire screening in the drain holes. Anyone know if anyone markets a form-fitted and easily inserted and removable plugging device that 1) readily drains the door if it rains, 2) stops mice and 3) does not interfere with door operation? Seems like something could be easily designed and sold. I'd pay $20 for a set if they would work. :ack::ack:

84cfi 08-25-2011 08:53 PM

Call Billy.:thumbs:

pkazsr 08-25-2011 09:03 PM

Cut up a nylon kitchen "scrubbie" and insert the pieces into any opening that you are concerned with. As much as I hate to recommend it get a cat or two. They will not eat the mice, they play with them for a minute and then kill them.

jdlloyd_95_c4 08-25-2011 09:20 PM

Too many cats in my neighborhood now killing birds. They seem not to have too much interest in the rodents. At least I have not seen them catch any of the ones that found their way into my plastic cheese baited snap traps. :smash::smash: I'll try the nylon scrubbie idea (it's cheap and porous) but can't the mice chew through those if they know there is a hole to get through. Have you had luck with that approach?

corvetteronw 08-26-2011 11:14 AM

Someone posted a mouse trap idea here recently. It was a 5 gal bucket with antifreeze in the bottom. It had a wood slat from the floor to the bucket. The bucket had an axle running through a can near the top. The can is smeared with peanut butter. The mouse runs up the slat, jumps onto the can to get the pb and falls into the antifreeze when the can rolls. Mouse drowns. Car stays safe.:D
I use an electronic device from Home Depot in my pole barn. Seems to work so far.

ps374 08-26-2011 04:17 PM

I think this mice thing is just by chance. I know of two cars in my town that have been kept outside under car covers for about 15 years. One is a 72 chevelle SS and the other is a 65 442. The Chevy is used in the warmer months. It sit all winter under the cover. The paint looks great. The 442 is the real mystery. This car does not move ever. I pass it everyday. One day during a bad wind storm the cover blew off. The paint looked great. Once I saw the guy with the hood opened. I said to myself buddy that car is car in the street. Not only did it start it ran. It looks great and to the life of me I cant figure how this car ran. All the laws of automotive know how have been broken. I am told one winter without stabel in your tank can cook you gas tank. This guy lets the car sit for 15 years and it runs. No mice problems on either car. I have been told car covers really dont protect you car from the elements. Neither one of these cars has visible rust. I think some guys are just lucky. These two guys sure are.

zaragoza 08-26-2011 05:24 PM

I had the same issue with mice, the car sat in the garage for 3 weeks while I was in Alaska, I ripped the entire car apart and found the nest they also got into the passenger door.

Here is the nest in the door.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...t/DSCF5172.jpg

This is the wires and connector they ate.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...t/DSCF5177.jpg

I cleaned it up, repaired the damage and now I keep one of the electronic thingies inside the car when I park it, I also had an exterminator come in and put poison all over the garage.

Cruisinfanatic 08-26-2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by corvetteronw (Post 1578525448)
Someone posted a mouse trap idea here recently. It was a 5 gal bucket with antifreeze in the bottom. It had a wood slat from the floor to the bucket. The bucket had an axle running through a can near the top. The can is smeared with peanut butter. The mouse runs up the slat, jumps onto the can to get the pb and falls into the antifreeze when the can rolls. Mouse drowns. Car stays safe.:D
I use an electronic device from Home Depot in my pole barn. Seems to work so far.

Here you go. Used it for awhile
1st picture is the trap, second is the trophy
http://invite.homestead.com/Mouse_Trap.jpg

http://invite.homestead.com/mouse_trophy.jpg

corvetteronw 08-26-2011 08:09 PM

Here is another pic:
http://all-starmaidservice.com/blog/...Mouse-Trap.jpg

RetiredSFC 97 08-27-2011 09:42 AM

use peppermint to prevent them.

get a bottle of peppermint and some cotton balls and some little half zip lock bags. Take the bottle of peppermint and turn it upside down a couple times onto a cotton ball. Place about four to five of them in a baggie. Leave the baggie unzipped/open and place it near suspected points of entry and also in around the engine bay in suspect areas.

You don't have to use a lot, just one here and there. A friend of my wife who has a couple cars stored in a barn and also have a camper told her about this and it seems to work.

You'll have to use the trial and error method on how many baggies and where to place them.

I did try this with my camper a couple months ago and it didn't completely stop them but there was a huge difference in mouse activity the last time I visited my camper last weekend. Now I just have to increase the numebr of baggies and fine tune the placement.

I had/have a mouse issue with my pick up. I opened the glove box and a mouse was inside my koozy cup I keep in there. Tried to grab him but he got away.:lol:

So I found a stick of peppermint candy and opened it up and set it in the glovebox. Couple days later there was a dead mouse sitting outside my pickup and I couldn't find a mouse inside so I guess he ate the peppermint and it killed him. I tried this just to see what the effects of peppermint was on mice.

I store my pickup and vette or STS under a carport up by my barn so I do have mice issues. I've tried some of the store bought solutions but they cost like 7 bucks a package for 4 packs and they only last a month or so.

My wifes friend said they don't have mice issues with the procedure I outlined.

Worth a try. (I would probably change the baggies once a month or two but she said they leave them in all winter and it seems to work)

If you are going to have your car sit for periods of time I would go ahead and get some mice poison as well just cuz. Use a small plastic container with a lid, so you can put the lid back on when/if you want to drive it.

Paul Workman 08-27-2011 04:39 PM

I use stuff recommended by a feed store owner called "One Bite". I get it at a local farm supply store, tho I've seen it occasionally at Wal Mart too.

The thing that lead me to One Bite was one year I was infested with mice, after they got into some feed I was storing for my quail and pheasant raising operation. I tried a lot of things.

In the end, the One Bite spread around the periphery of the garage (where my dogs wouldn't get to it), and Bounce dryer sheets in the car, and one year I tried the peppermint oil - seemed to work...no mice detected in the cars after that. (I also put a piece of the One Bite uder the seat as a last line of defense.)

I no longer have a mouse problem, and I live in the country where they are everywhere!

P.

RetiredSFC 97 10-15-2011 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97 (Post 1578533201)
use peppermint to prevent them.

get a bottle of peppermint and some cotton balls and some little half zip lock bags. Take the bottle of peppermint and turn it upside down a couple times onto a cotton ball. Place about four to five of them in a baggie. Leave the baggie unzipped/open and place it near suspected points of entry and also in around the engine bay in suspect areas.

You don't have to use a lot, just one here and there. A friend of my wife who has a couple cars stored in a barn and also have a camper told her about this and it seems to work.

You'll have to use the trial and error method on how many baggies and where to place them.

I did try this with my camper a couple months ago and it didn't completely stop them but there was a huge difference in mouse activity the last time I visited my camper last weekend. Now I just have to increase the numebr of baggies and fine tune the placement.

I had/have a mouse issue with my pick up. I opened the glove box and a mouse was inside my koozy cup I keep in there. Tried to grab him but he got away.:lol:

So I found a stick of peppermint candy and opened it up and set it in the glovebox. Couple days later there was a dead mouse sitting outside my pickup and I couldn't find a mouse inside so I guess he ate the peppermint and it killed him. I tried this just to see what the effects of peppermint was on mice.

I store my pickup and vette or STS under a carport up by my barn so I do have mice issues. I've tried some of the store bought solutions but they cost like 7 bucks a package for 4 packs and they only last a month or so.

My wifes friend said they don't have mice issues with the procedure I outlined.

Worth a try. (I would probably change the baggies once a month or two but she said they leave them in all winter and it seems to work)

If you are going to have your car sit for periods of time I would go ahead and get some mice poison as well just cuz. Use a small plastic container with a lid, so you can put the lid back on when/if you want to drive it.

Don't listen to this clown here.

I put peppermint in my camper and seemed to slow the mice down.

I put some in my Pick Up and they stole my cotton balls. I just spent the entire day taking my dash apart and cleaning it all up.

I don't know what I'm gonna do about the stupid things, I keep my PU parked under a carport and just don't drive it but maybe once a month or so.

And that's where I store my vette in the winter as well. I haven't had mice issues with my vette, YET, but I can't keep them out of my pick up.:willy:

RollaMo-LT4 10-15-2011 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97 (Post 1578968735)
I put some in my Pick Up and they stole my cotton balls.

Sorry Mike, but that is too funny. :rofl:

kwd1 10-16-2011 12:37 AM

I use poison blocks in the garage. When one gets into the garage, it will start chewing off some and it seems to kill them right away. I also read that it makes them thirsty and they will search for water and die outside of the vehicle.

miscstudent 10-16-2011 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Workman (Post 1578535944)
I use stuff recommended by a feed store owner called "One Bite". I get it at a local farm supply store, tho I've seen it occasionally at Wal Mart too.

The thing that lead me to One Bite was one year I was infested with mice, after they got into some feed I was storing for my quail and pheasant raising operation. I tried a lot of things.

In the end, the One Bite spread around the periphery of the garage (where my dogs wouldn't get to it), and Bounce dryer sheets in the car, and one year I tried the peppermint oil - seemed to work...no mice detected in the cars after that. (I also put a piece of the One Bite uder the seat as a last line of defense.)

I no longer have a mouse problem, and I live in the country where they are everywhere!

P.

I was told by a mechanic once to use bounce dryer sheets or some fabric softener to deter them. It could have been as useful as snake oil, but they didn't come back! I would try the combination listed above because it sounds like a few people have had success. All three in combination might be helpful.

navy_vette 10-16-2011 06:51 AM

Dad's boat in the barn in South Dakota. The mice used to be all over the place. Cut up pieces of Irish Spring soap spread around the building made for a completely mouse free winter. Something about peppermint makes them run away. I heard the problem with the cotton ball trick was the scent goes away, then they used it to build a nest. They won't eat soap (at least I hope not) and the smell doesn't fade. And, you have a nice smelling barn and car when you are done. :thumbs:

Railroadman 10-16-2011 09:31 AM

I've used the peppermint thing for several years - not in baggies, just a cotton ball here and there. No apparent mice at all but I didn't inventory the balls so who knows, maybe they swiped a few.

If you try it, it's the peppermint oil, or essence of peppermint, NOT the flavoring you'd use for cooking. I suspect that's where some folks go wrong.

mmercer 10-16-2011 10:29 AM

I've also used brillo pads with the built in soap and placed the sticky traps (cheap at Tractor Supply Co.) around the perimeter of the car. Good luck with the little bastards.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...atgifimage.gif

Originally Posted by pkazsr (Post 1578521233)
Cut up a nylon kitchen "scrubbie" and insert the pieces into any opening that you are concerned with. As much as I hate to recommend it get a cat or two. They will not eat the mice, they play with them for a minute and then kill them.

Mtn Billy 10-23-2011 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by miscstudent (Post 1578971112)
I was told by a mechanic once to use bounce dryer sheets or some fabric softener to deter them. It could have been as useful as snake oil, but they didn't come back! I would try the combination listed above because it sounds like a few people have had success. All three in combination might be helpful.

All the folks I know that have campers/trailers/RV's use dryer sheets with good results. You'll need to stuff 'em all over, under seats in the dash (?) and lay a few around the car.

This worked for my 5th wheel for the 3 years I stored it.:thumbs:

FOURSPEEDVETTE 10-23-2011 08:14 PM

To the original poster. Where do you park this car? Inside or outside?