CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   End Links (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/2902908-end-links.html)

bumble-z 08-29-2011 01:16 PM

End Links

I have an 03 Z with 15kmiles.
I've been getting a clikity, clankity sounds, which resemles the sound of a loose schock bolts/nuts.

I get the sound when going over small or large bumps or depressions.
Nice & quite on the e way.

The noise is not coming from the shocks, leafs,or c/overs.
I'm most certain it's coming from the end links.

When tightening down the links does it matter when installing/tightening the liunks if the wheels have weight on them or hanging?
Is there any way of testing these links while off the car, either by visual, feel, sound,etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason 08-29-2011 01:32 PM

The links should be unweighted when the car is on the ground.

Z11409 08-29-2011 02:02 PM

Grab the bar and shake it as hard as you can.

95jersey 08-29-2011 02:15 PM

I had T1 links and they started making noise after time, I now use the LG quiet endlinks and love em. 3 years later and no noise

bumble-z 08-29-2011 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 1578550969)
The links should be unweighted when the car is on the ground.

When installing & tightening.?

sperkins 08-29-2011 02:47 PM

If you want remove the end links completely, you may have trouble getting them in and out depending on how much preload or "wedge" the car has in it from the factory. I personally have never seen a factory metal end link fail (especially with 15k miles), but anything is possible.

Check to make sure they are tight before you remove them. I think it would be hard to tell if one is bad when it's off the car unless it just wants to fall apart.

BERETTA 08-29-2011 03:45 PM

Remove the end links, then test drive at slow speeds over bumps etc. if the noise goes away you found your problem :cheers:

bumble-z 08-29-2011 03:59 PM

Thanks BARETTA.
I will do that.
But I was wondering perhaps about post #5?

froggy47 08-29-2011 06:19 PM

Just fyi there are LOTS of threads with good info on end links, if you don't get what you need here, try search.

:thumbs:

SoDiezl350 08-30-2011 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by bumble-z (Post 1578552235)
Thanks BARETTA.
I will do that.
But I was wondering perhaps about post #5?

Please post back with your findings. I am having the same noise and too am suspecting the metal end links. Before I shell out money for some more I would like to see if anyone else has had their metal end links(non T1) turn noisy.

bumble-z 08-30-2011 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350 (Post 1578557752)
Please post back with your findings. I am having the same noise and too am suspecting the metal end links. Before I shell out money for some more I would like to see if anyone else has had their metal end links(non T1) turn noisy.

I removed my end links & ran through some bumps.
Still getting noise:ack:

Reininstalled the endlinks & now I'm continuing my Clanking source.

Thanks every one for there tips

Oh when I removed & reinstalled the end links, I had full weight on the wheels/tires on my ramps.
Every thing lined up.
When I eventually find the source, I'll get back.
Thanks again every one for your help.:cheers:

Jason 08-30-2011 11:52 AM

I once thought I was hearing my endlinks clacking.
It was a ball joint nut backing off.
Check everything.
Twice.

sperkins 08-30-2011 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 1578559532)
I once thought I was hearing my endlinks clacking.
It was a ball joint nut backing off.
Check everything.
Twice.

Yeah. While working on Khoi's car last week, I found the RR upper ball joint nut was MISSING! :willy::willy:

Jason 08-30-2011 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by sperkins (Post 1578560674)
Yeah. While working on Khoi's car last week, I found the RR upper ball joint nut was MISSING! :willy::willy:

I haven't been anywhere NEAR Khoi's car lately. :blueangel:

SoDiezl350 08-30-2011 04:21 PM

Is this noise coming from the front?

bumble-z 08-30-2011 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350 (Post 1578561739)
Is this noise coming from the front?

I believe it is coming from the front
Geeze I'm deaf in my right ear & my car is pretty loud with LG Pro long tubes,3"x pipe, no cats & BB Bullet 4" quad tips.
Next, I'm going to pull the front wheels & then apply pressure to the lower a arm till at height it would be if the wheel/tire was still on.
Then I'm going to make sure each & every bolt is properly tightened.
I'm going to do that to both side fronts.
If it's still making noise after that, I'll do the same to the rear.
After that if it's still making noise, I'll drop myX pipe & pull my Tunnel plate & install a C/6 plate I have setting around.
Right now I have two C/5 plates sandwitched/popriveted together, for more support. (Possibly causing the noise)

SoDiezl350 09-01-2011 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by bumble-z (Post 1578562250)
I believe it is coming from the front
Geeze I'm deaf in my right ear & my car is pretty loud with LG Pro long tubes,3"x pipe, no cats & BB Bullet 4" quad tips.
Next, I'm going to pull the front wheels & then apply pressure to the lower a arm till at height it would be if the wheel/tire was still on.
Then I'm going to make sure each & every bolt is properly tightened.
I'm going to do that to both side fronts.
If it's still making noise after that, I'll do the same to the rear.
After that if it's still making noise, I'll drop myX pipe & pull my Tunnel plate & install a C/6 plate I have setting around.
Right now I have two C/5 plates sandwitched/popriveted together, for more support.

My noise is also coming from the front and I too am skeptical of the possibility of it being caused by end links. I checked all my nuts and bolts in the area and everything was tight. I should point out that I only began noticing the noise after having driven my car through a very poorly paved road in Los Angeles. I'm beginning to suspect the ball joints. Good luck!