CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Belt chirp HELP! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2904586-belt-chirp-help.html)

MO POWR 08-31-2011 09:42 PM

Belt chirp HELP!

I have searched. However want to ask a more specific question about the belt chirp I am hearing. I have a 2011 GS with 500+ miles on it. It only chirps when its cold. Once it warms up the chirp goes away completely.

I would like to here from fellow members who had these exact symtoms and how or if they were fixed by the dealer? My dealer wants me to bring it in and leave it overnight so they could hear it upon a cold start. The mechanic said the belts probabley just need cleaning? I am actually more worried about the mechanic putting it on a lift and messing something else up. Thanks for your help.

Walt White Coupe 08-31-2011 11:02 PM

Sounds like a reasonable first step. Most likely, not a belt.

phileaglesfan 08-31-2011 11:12 PM

What is it with the factory? My 11GS had a chirping belt except once it warmed up. They tried to clean it so I don't have much faith in that repair. They replaced it 1k ago and no chirp yet.

Do you have an auto or manual since the LS3 is built in a different factory depending on the transmission? Mine is an auto. Maybe the neighbors up north are screwing up.

MO POWR 09-01-2011 06:01 AM

Mine is an auto. Yea I hope they go ahead and replace the belt the first time in.

Vette5.5 09-01-2011 10:39 AM

I recall some of our companies serpentine Ford work trucks would do this on rainy days. Changed over to Goodyear Gatorback Poly V's, and problem solved. See if you can get the dealer to put one of these on.

GreySteele06 09-01-2011 10:42 AM

spray on belt conditioner will help, but with only 500 miles? that sux.

Zogs2011 09-01-2011 10:45 AM

Had to have my 2011 GS belts changed that early also.

St.Char 09-01-2011 10:51 AM

Make sure you take some jacking pucs or hockey pucs with you and kindly ask them to use them under the car before lifting. Good Luck!

MO POWR 09-01-2011 11:20 AM

Where is the best place to order jacking pads from? I thought it was strange for the chevy dealer not to have these in their tool chest for their "certified Corvette mechanic" to use. I am thinking about changing the belt myself so I won't have to worry about dealer damage. The $50 or so is no biggie, but if it doesnt fix it I will have to take it in anyway.

Walt White Coupe 09-01-2011 11:54 AM

From a BMW dealer.

blackonblack2011 09-01-2011 11:58 AM

Having the same problem. Took it to the dealer the Tuesday. They also said they would have to keep it overnight to start it up cold and check. I was not so comfortable with that due to the many dealer mess up's. I am waiting on a piece for my targa that broke(plastic where the hooks slide into for trunk storage came out). When it comes in i will leave the car with them as to not have them keep it twice. Should be in the next day or so. I will let you know the outcome.

They also told me there is a consistent problem with the 2011 rear differentials they are going to check. Although im pretty sure its the belts as said above. Please let us know your outcome.

DG

cool60 09-01-2011 12:46 PM

Chirp

Had the same problem with my '98 and it was a slight water pump drip on the belt when cold. Then later the lower tension pulley.

cool60

brooklync5 09-01-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by GreySteele06 (Post 1578578396)
spray on belt conditioner will help, but with only 500 miles? that sux.

:iagree:

Slare 09-01-2011 02:49 PM

I've found belt conditioner to be a band aid in the past, it just covers up the problem.

The root cause is generally too little belt tension (bad tensioner, stretched or wrong belt) or misplaced lubricant (coolant, someone's greasy hands even) which allows slip. Once the slip starts happening you can get build up on the pulleys, so even if you fix the bad tensioner/belt the build up will still allow slippage.

It's like an AC system problem where one problem can create others. You gotta make sure they all get fixed at the same time.

phileaglesfan 09-01-2011 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by MO POWR (Post 1578576835)
Mine is an auto. Yea I hope they go ahead and replace the belt the first time in.

I wonder if anyone with a manual GS had/has this problem. If not it might be a problem up at the factory in Canada.

Charlie!23 09-01-2011 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Slare (Post 1578580824)
I've found belt conditioner to be a band aid in the past, it just covers up the problem.

The root cause is generally too little belt tension (bad tensioner, stretched or wrong belt) or misplaced lubricant (coolant, someone's greasy hands even) which allows slip. Once the slip starts happening you can get build up on the pulleys, so even if you fix the bad tensioner/belt the build up will still allow slippage.

It's like an AC system problem where one problem can create others. You gotta make sure they all get fixed at the same time.

Agree, have an 07 with the same problem, fixed wit h smaler belt. took the dealer 2 days to figure it out.

MO POWR 09-02-2011 10:46 AM

It goes to the dealer on wednesday. I'll keep you posted.

Gearhead Jim 09-05-2011 08:36 PM

Not to make light of your problem, and taking it to the dealer is a good thing, but...

Our 2001, then 2006, now 2009; all have had a symphony of clicks, ticks, chirps, and clunks when first started in the morning. When warmed up, not much.

Daekwan06 09-05-2011 08:39 PM

My '07 has recently started doing the same chirp on startup. Goes away after about a minute of warmup. Thanks for the info guys!

diyguy 09-05-2011 11:43 PM

This sounds like a carry over from the C5's - notorios gremlin!

Order a Goodyear Gatorback belt - AutoZone may have them in stock.

Problem solved in most cases.

Several potential not necessarily causes. Tension pulley and/or idler pulley. Water pump (not usual though), and God forbid - the Harmonic Balancer has worked loose from the crank and/or delamination of the HB rubber parts.