CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Build date? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/2908321-build-date.html)

jbaron 09-06-2011 10:55 PM

Build date?

Hi all,
How do I go about finding out the build date for my car using the VIN#?
I appreciate any help.

Thanks

hunt4cleanair 09-07-2011 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by jbaron (Post 1578629173)
Hi all,
How do I go about finding out the build date for my car using the VIN#?

The build date is defined by most as the trim date code on the trim tag so if there is a trim tag...than you would have your build date. A build sheet offers a date that would approximate the build date as well.

Your VIN would be limited to the year of production and that depends on the year of your car. Don't believe the early ones had a digit code for year.

Easy Mike 09-07-2011 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by jbaron (Post 1578629173)
...How do I go about finding out the build date for my car using the VIN#?...

That's doing it the hard way. Most of us use the time/build date Hunt4cleanair suggested (alpha-numeric 3 character code in the upper right corner of the tag).

IF you want to do the math: purchase any of the Corvette reference guides where monthly ending VIN production figures are published. Find your VIN in the range and jot down final monthly VIN for that month.

Subtract final VIN for the month before for total monthly production for your month.

Use a perpetual calendar to determine number of working days in the month your car was produced. Do not count recognized holidays or Sundays; count Saturdays.

Divide number of working days into monthly production for an average daily production figure.

Add your average daily figure to the ending VIN of the prior month OR subtract your daily average figure from the final VIN of your month until your daily VIN range shows up. Either (adding or subtracting) will get you in the ball park.

It could vary, but typical daily average Corvette production was 110-120.

FWIW: beginning about the middle of March, 1978 through about the middle of May, 1978 Pace Cars were in production and regular 78 assembly was suspended.

:thumbs:

capevettes 09-07-2011 09:27 AM

The NCRS Corvette Birthday book can tell you with reasonable accuracy what the birth date of your car is. Alot of research went into the book. I just picked up a copy at Carlisle.

What's your VIN?

Ret.Horsecop13 09-07-2011 01:35 PM

Register on the C3 registry and they will tell you the build date.

Mike Ward 09-07-2011 01:46 PM

All of the books and calculators are just educated guesses based on statistics and a limited number of data points. All of them also have known and documented errors.

I don't understand why someone would use those in preference to the trim tag date on the car..............

u2bdet 09-07-2011 04:20 PM

I-Phone App

Believe it or not ,there is an I-Phone app which supposedly gives you thebuild date using the last 5 vin digits...

Some one post their last 5 VIN and year and we'll see how accurate it is.

Neal

Nowhere Man 09-07-2011 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by u2bdet (Post 1578635141)
Believe it or not ,there is an I-Phone app which supposedly gives you thebuild date using the last 5 vin digits...

Neal

I have it. and its close

Mike Ward 09-07-2011 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by u2bdet (Post 1578635141)

Neal

How are you going to determine if it's accurate?

u2bdet 09-07-2011 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1578635607)
How are you going to determine if it's accurate?

If someone already knows their build date ...we can see if the APP is accurate

Neal

joewill 09-07-2011 05:29 PM

corvette birthday calculator... good for ballpark figures... not as good as your trim tag though...

http://www.c3registry.org/index.php?uid=3279

Mike Ward 09-07-2011 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by u2bdet (Post 1578635628)
If someone already knows their build date ...we can see if the APP is accurate

Neal

And how would they 'know' their build date?

u2bdet 09-07-2011 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1578635977)
And how would they 'know' their build date?

This thread is going in circles :willy: IF someone had their build date ,tank sticker , documentation from Chevy, a voice whispered it to them in a drunken stupor or if they worked in the plant and build their own car .....then the "accuracy" of the app could be checked ...
I just offered it up ..it's not my APP ,I didnt develop it , not standing by it or charging anyone $.01 for looking it up!

Done,
Neal

Mike Ward 09-07-2011 08:12 PM

No, I'm again pointing out the irrational step of relying on calculators vs. simply looking at the date on the trim tag. Why make easy things difficult?

EmNash 09-07-2011 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by joewill (Post 1578635800)
corvette birthday calculator... good for ballpark figures... not as good as your trim tag though...

http://www.c3registry.org/index.php?uid=3279

I checked my 82 which I have the build sheet for and this site was off by 5 months.

hunt4cleanair 09-08-2011 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by c3nashvette (Post 1578638322)
I checked my 82 which I have the build sheet for and this site was off by 5 months.

You do realize that the date on the build sheet is an estimated date for production to begin on any given vehicle. Most times it reconciles with the alphanumeric date code on the trim tag.

Easy Mike 09-08-2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1578637206)
...Why make easy things difficult?...

Amen.

JBaron: What's your time/build code? Upper right corner of your trim tag.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...0Mike/71-1.jpg

J28 on this example. TRIM and PAINT are the factory codes for interior and exterior colors.

capevettes 09-08-2011 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1578637206)
No, I'm again pointing out the irrational step of relying on calculators vs. simply looking at the date on the trim tag. Why make easy things difficult?

Mike, you are preaching to the converted :D No real substitute for the trim tag, if one is present. If the car is missing the trim tag it can provide some reasonably accurate information. Alot of the info in the book was gathered by some well respected members of this and the Tech Board based on shipping info, UAW workers etc.

The dates in the book are within a couple of days of my trim tags on my mid year and 68.

No trim tags on the solid axles. I really wanted to check on my 61.

Easy Mike 09-08-2011 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by capevettes (Post 1578641641)
...No trim tags on the solid axles. I really wanted to check on my 61...

Use Noland Adams' calculatioin method. If memory serves, it's in his Volume I Restoration Guide. I paraphrased it in my post. For '61, they may have been working less Saturdays than they did for the C3 model years.

You can get reasonably close.

capevettes 09-08-2011 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1578641696)
Use Noland Adams' calculatioin method. If memory serves, it's in his Volume I Restoration Guide. I paraphrased it in my post. For '61, they may have been working less Saturdays than they did for the C3 model years.

You can get reasonably close.

Yes, I have Noland's book. Mine was an easy one, serial #2271, last day of production (for October), Oct. 31, 1960.

Noland was also involved in the Birthday Book along with John Hinckley. Two pretty knowledgeable people :thumbs: