CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 hardtop convertible? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/2910990-c7-hardtop-convertible.html)

GCRoberts 09-11-2011 09:23 AM

C7 hardtop convertible?

I'm debating buying a 2012 convertible versus waiting for a 2014 C7. I would love to see a "Ferrari California" style hardtop on the C7 convertible. If I thought that would be included, I'd definitely wait. In the "C7" wish list thread I see plenty of people asking for this. What I'm wondering is have any statements been made by Chevrolet suggesting it was likely, or is this nothing more than a pipe dream?

BuckyThreadkiller 09-11-2011 02:27 PM

I"m betting its a pipe dream. Too complicated, heavy and expensive for a Corvette. It doesn't work within the concept of the lighter, value priced car (compared to a P or F-Car) Chevrolet has always promoted for C7.

They built the XLR hard top vert on the line with the C6 and it never transferred to the Vette.

R23HTC 09-11-2011 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller (Post 1578668939)
They built the XLR hard top vert on the line with the C6 and it never transferred to the Vette.

While the XLR was built in the Bowling Green factory with the Vette, it was never built on the same "line". It was built on a seperate line from the Vette.

JerriVette 09-11-2011 09:12 PM

I believe a proper hardtop convertible can be done lightweight if GM wants to...similiar in concept to what the hardtop miata has...

Lightweight is a possiblity...with a retractable hardtop..

I personally prefer the targa roof version but respect the convertible option quite well too..

BluegrassMotorsport 09-11-2011 09:25 PM

Part of the reason the XLR was so expensive was because of its complicated hard-top roof. The weight and price it would add doesn't seem worth it from my perspective. It might be a nice option to have for special order, as I am sure there would be at least a small market for something like that.

C6-Stingray 09-12-2011 09:57 AM

Or like the 2012 Ferrari 458 spider

At least give us a removable hardtop option like in 1953-1996

BuckyThreadkiller 09-12-2011 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by XTRME 94 (Post 1578669149)
While the XLR was built in the Bowling Green factory with the Vette, it was never built on the same "line". It was built on a seperate line from the Vette.

Well if you want to be completely technical about there really wasn't much of a "line" for the XLR. Every time I went through the BG factory they had a section set off where the few XLR's being built were being almost hand assembled.

Still - since the cars shared the Y-platform's basic chassis underpinnings, if Chevy was ever going to do a hardtop vert, that would have been the time.

jackhall99 09-12-2011 01:40 PM

I"m betting its a pipe dream. .... It doesn't work within the concept of the lighter, value priced car (compared to a P or F-Car) Chevrolet has always promoted for C7.

You've never seen the Pontiac G6 or Sebring HT converts? Or the nifty little Mazda Miata drop-top? Or the BMW Z4? or the ...... The low cost, light weight, retractable HT is feasible. :cheers:

CRABBYJ 09-12-2011 07:49 PM

I loved my 05 coupe for the six and a half years I owned it. I will own a C7 vert when they come out, but for now am very pleased with my 2011 Z4 with the drop hard top. Being 68 this month, I got tired of removing the roof panel on the vette and the weight and contortions I had to put up with was too much to handle all the time. I know the performance will suffer the added weight on the C7 but we are not all buyers that need to use our cars for racing and a rag top looks best only with the top down, IMHO. So please, make this an option on the C7. I would even give up most other options just to get this! :thumbs::flag:

TonyCool 09-12-2011 09:12 PM

I'd love to see this happen as well. I think it must be possible for the engineers to come up with a light, uncomplicated design for a retractable hardtop while respecting corvette's original ideals and keeping the costs.

However to be honest I don't think we will see a retractable hardtop vert in the c7 maybe in the c8. I think it will happen eventually but not now. Not becuase it can't be done but becuase I think not doing it will save some money to GM and they are likely to chose that route until the average corvette customer demands it to be done.

m48xhp 09-12-2011 10:17 PM

id love this to be standard on the base (and grand sport-ish model, if they choose to keep it). fixed roof on the z06 and higher levels.

but yes, it has to be lightweight and be at least as rigid as the current targa.

CPhelps 09-13-2011 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1578677245)
You've never seen the Pontiac G6 or Sebring HT converts? Or the nifty little Mazda Miata drop-top? Or the BMW Z4? or the ...... The low cost, light weight, retractable HT is feasible. :cheers:

I don't know about the other cars, but the G6 GT 2dr hardtop convertible is listed at 3855 lbs vs. the G6 GT 2dr coupe at 3415 lbs curb weight.

jackhall99 09-13-2011 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by CPhelps (Post 1578685474)
I don't know about the other cars, but the G6 GT 2dr hardtop convertible is listed at 3855 lbs vs. the G6 GT 2dr coupe at 3415 lbs curb weight.

I used the G6 as a reference to point out that lesser cars than the Corvette have been engineered with a power retractable hardtop. GM, and other car makers, have and can do it.

The G6 is a four seat mid-sized car, so the weight will be heavier. That goes without saying. The Mazda Miata has an approximate 72 pound weight penalty with their power HT over the manual soft top version. That, or near that, would be an acceptable penalty as an option if GM wanted to go that route.

Also, the Mazda top goes down quickly (10 seconds or so), operates smoothly, and doesn't seem to take luggage space from that provided in the standard soft top car.

I think it would be a nice option to compete with M-B, BMW, etc. :cheers:

ockie 09-13-2011 03:15 PM

I would love to see a hard top convertible. Love the XLR and it's top.

My main question is if they will only have the base and GS (if there will be a gs) models in convertibles or if they will include the Z06 and ZR1's to be in convertible option.

Whatever the highest end that comes in a convertible will be mine :) I have made my mind it has to be a convertible.. that is the only thing I did not like about my Z06... especially when GS's were rolling with verts.

Garrett W 09-14-2011 01:12 AM

I"m betting its a pipe dream. Too complicated, heavy and expensive for a Corvette. It doesn't work within the concept of the lighter, value priced car (compared to a P or F-Car) Chevrolet has always promoted for C7.

:iagree:

prinzSD455 09-14-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by redvette77 (Post 1578672299)
Part of the reason the XLR was so expensive was because of its complicated hard-top roof. The weight and price it would add doesn't seem worth it from my perspective. It might be a nice option to have for special order, as I am sure there would be at least a small market for something like that.

GM also had the hardtop convirtible roof in the Pontiac G6, that also pushed the price up as well.

prinzSD455 09-14-2011 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by redvette77 (Post 1578672299)

GM also had the hardtop convirtible roof in the Pontiac G6, that also pushed the price up as well. I am thinking of getting a used one when the 93 TA dies, but since it would be parked outside, I am not sure in the long run it could keep the rain out. Reliability of such a device would also be worrisome. What about rattles and lack of stiffness?

BMadden 09-14-2011 06:21 PM

I've got an AMG Mercedes SL55 with the retractable hardtop and I have to admit it's a night and day difference from soft top 'Vette convertibles I've owned in the past. I know it adds weight, but as long as they give the C7 enough hp to compensate for it everything would be fine. :cool:

08Roadster 09-28-2011 06:28 PM

I would be happy to have GM offer a removable hardtop - like my C2 and C3 have.

C6Tim 10-13-2011 08:42 PM

As a owner of a XLR-V I can tell you that the retractable hard top is sweet. I love verts, but will not own another "rag top". I would like to see it as a option on the C7.

Knowing first hand what the hardware looks like on a retractable hardtop I can't see it all weighing more than 50lbs more than a coupe. It's only some hinges and a hydraulic motor.