CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   [Z06] electric exhaust cut outs (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2919799-electric-exhaust-cut-outs.html)

02corvettez06 09-25-2011 11:51 AM

electric exhaust cut outs

Hey all, just ordered a set of 2.5inch electric exhaust cut outs, just wondering if this is gonna make a power difference or just noise on demand? I have a set of long tube headers on the car also.....?:smash:

machz800ps 09-26-2011 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 02corvettez06 (Post 1578792906)
Hey all, just ordered a set of 2.5inch electric exhaust cut outs, just wondering if this is gonna make a power difference or just noise on demand? I have a set of long tube headers on the car also.....?:smash:

JUST NOISE FOR THE MOST PART
To be honest it will sound like sh!t on a stock none camed motor
JMO
Steve

ApexerER 09-26-2011 04:52 PM

I have a set, I run the same exact 1-4 mile time with them open as I do with them closed but I think most of the people at my local track would say that they don't sound like ****......I usually get asked about 10 times a night what kind of an exhaust i have because it sounds so nasty and my car is stock other than off rd xpipe and headers. It is nice being able to shut them and just quietly cruise along or open them and reak havvic.......

thechosenone 09-26-2011 10:24 PM

I am running SLP Loudmouth exhaust and my car gets nothing but props. Cutouts will sound exactly the same. I am going back to stock cat back and I'm gonna be doing some cut-outs as well to still keep the loud noise for certain occasions. I was wondering how much a shop would charge to do these. Are you doing them yourself or having shop do them?

snuuplbc 09-27-2011 04:25 AM

I have cut outs and they are amazing. both sound and performance. Although, im running a blower with long tubes and no cats. i have the ti stock exhaust so its very enjoyable to have the option of best of both worlds. DO IT!!!!

thechosenone 09-27-2011 08:50 AM

If anyone thinks this sounds like crap, they have issues.

machz800ps 09-27-2011 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=KLR Z;1578809118]If anyone thinks this sounds like crap, they have issues.

Exactly why i said a none cam'ed motor. sounds great with a cam and mods to back it!!!
I can stick headers and and xpipe on my wifes yukon and get the same noise as a stock ls engine.:thumbs:
Im Just getting old i guess:D
Steve

ApexerER 09-27-2011 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by KLR Z (Post 1578806936)
I am running SLP Loudmouth exhaust and my car gets nothing but props. Cutouts will sound exactly the same. I am going back to stock cat back and I'm gonna be doing some cut-outs as well to still keep the loud noise for certain occasions. I was wondering how much a shop would charge to do these. Are you doing them yourself or having shop do them?

I removed my x pipe and cut the holes where I wanted them and then had a buddy of mine that is much better at welding than me, weld them in....I can't imagine if you removed your exhaust and took it to a shop to get it welded it would cost very much.......

4SFED Z 09-27-2011 02:04 PM

and here is another (my old set-up).

BRZI 09-27-2011 06:11 PM

I just had the Dmh dual electric cutouts installed 2 weeks ago. I paid $300 for the install. They are welded to a B&B prt exhaust, stock headers and cats. They sound pretty much like the B&B exhaust just 10x louder. I do agree w/machz800ps a cam would really make them sound aot more wicked. Another thing is I tried driving on the highway with them open and it was just way to loud inside the car. Guess I am getting old but thats why its nice to have the option of closing up.:thumbs:

Z31/ZO6 GUY 03-02-2016 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by ApexerER (Post 1578803663)
I have a set, I run the same exact 1-4 mile time with them open as I do with them closed but I think most of the people at my local track would say that they don't sound like ****......I usually get asked about 10 times a night what kind of an exhaust i have because it sounds so nasty and my car is stock other than off rd xpipe and headers. It is nice being able to shut them and just quietly cruise along or open them and reak havvic.......

I was thinking about doing the bypass mod but I think I'll be happier with cutouts...can you help me out so I get it done right please?

Cheesecake 07 03-02-2016 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by 02corvettez06 (Post 1578792906)

My heads/cam car in the 485rwhp range didn't pick up much from dual 3" QTP cutouts on motor. Maybe 4-5 over factory Ti's. Could of been part dyno variance. My best pull was 488rwhp with cutouts open...484rwhp through Ti's.

So your not gonna see much if anything if you have a bolt on car.

They sound nasty with LT's though:thumbs:

Stroker87 03-02-2016 11:46 PM

I had a set on my 87 hotrod truck with a built 383 after $600 i picked up a whopping 4rwhp 2rwtq no change in 1/4 mile times my exhaust i guess was not to restrictive, after playing with them at red lights, track, cruise nights and freeway the 1st few weeks i really never used them much at all, $600 for 4rwhp just not worth it but cool factor is another story

not something i'll do again...

Cheesecake 07 03-03-2016 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Stroker87 (Post 1591687107)

not something i'll do again...

Me neither. Woulda been $600 off a set of Corsa's at this point:yesnod: