CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   After getting battery jumped, no window indexing, radio won't work (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2922270-after-getting-battery-jumped-no-window-indexing-radio-wont-work.html)

60av8tor 09-29-2011 03:16 AM

After getting battery jumped, no window indexing, radio won't work

I'm sure someone's asked this before, but how do I get things back to normal after jumping the battery.
Went away on a trip and came back to a dead battery. Car runs now, but the windows won't index and the radio / dvd won't come on.

Any hints or links to stickies would be great :cheers:

Triumph Jerry 09-29-2011 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by 60av8tor (Post 1578826991)
I'm sure someone's asked this before, but how do I get things back to normal after jumping the battery.
Went away on a trip and came back to a dead battery. Car runs now, but the windows won't index and the radio / dvd won't come on.

To reset the windows, put each window switch up and hold for 3
seconds after window is up, release switch, then hold up for
another 3 seconds. Do each window, one at a time.
This sets the indexing.
...jerry

Vette_DD 09-29-2011 07:34 AM

And the instructions shown above for resetting the window indexing are in the owner's manual.

AORoads 09-29-2011 08:14 AM

could it be the battery's too low and needs charging still?

VettinFan 09-29-2011 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 60av8tor (Post 1578826991)

If the accessories/features you mentioned don't operate perhaps while jumping the battery you shorted a fuse (or two)

tim414 09-29-2011 08:50 AM

the radio has a theft code set. if your not the original owner and know what the code is that was set in the radio, then you will have to visit stealership and have them reset it for you.

when ever the car loses power you will always have to reindex windows and put rhe theft code in the radio if one was set.

EVRose 09-29-2011 09:29 AM

I would try disconnecting a battery cable for a few minutes and let it reset everything. Hook it back up and then try to re-index the windows. If it doesn't work then the battery may still be too low like AORoads said. Put it on a charger over night or replace it.

Vette5.5 09-29-2011 03:03 PM

As mentioned, window indexing is very simple, as did it when replacing the battery. Didn't have any problem with the radio, as the original owner, and never set any theft codes. I'd be more concerned about the battery. If it was drained down to zero, then probably a goner, and needs to be replaced.

Klaus-96 09-29-2011 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by tim414 (Post 1578827832)
the radio has a theft code set. if your not the original owner and know what the code is that was set in the radio, then you will have to visit stealership and have them reset it for you.

I don't believe our radios have user settable codes any more. Modern GM radios "learn" the VIN of the car via the data bus the first time a new radio is powered up in the car and stores it. After that, the radio compares the stored VIN number with the VIN number on the data bus each time it is powered up. If the numbers match, it operates normally. If the numbers do not match, such as if radio has been swapped from another car, the radio displays "Theftlock Activated" and will not operate.

A dealer can use a Tech2 to force the radio to "re-learn" the VIN number to clear a Theftlock condition.

If you are not getting a Theftlock message, I suspect you have some kind of power problem, such as a blown fuse.

c6miller 09-29-2011 04:32 PM

you probably need a new battery if it's 3+ years old.

fnsblum 09-29-2011 06:11 PM

Try holding the on/off button down for a few seconds. Later! Frank

60av8tor 10-01-2011 07:48 AM

....and the winnners are:
EVRose and Klaus :)
I reset all the CBs and 'viola'.

Actually, we're all the 'winners' due to folks like ya'll willing to help out however/whenever.
Thanks !

vettman96 10-01-2011 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Klaus-96 (Post 1578831277)
I don't believe our radios have user settable codes any more. Modern GM radios "learn" the VIN of the car via the data bus the first time a new radio is powered up in the car and stores it. After that, the radio compares the stored VIN number with the VIN number on the data bus each time it is powered up. If the numbers match, it operates normally. If the numbers do not match, such as if radio has been swapped from another car, the radio displays "Theftlock Activated" and will not operate.

A dealer can use a Tech2 to force the radio to "re-learn" the VIN number to clear a Theftlock condition.

If you are not getting a Theftlock message, I suspect you have some kind of power problem, such as a blown fuse.

This is the kind of useful information that makes the Forum so valuable.
:cheers:

thunderkyss 03-20-2012 01:12 AM

Add another possibility to your list.

I had this problem, & found this thread via google. I tried the reindexing thing, but nothing happened.

I checked all the fuses & made sure all the relays were set properly... nothing.

I checked my battery connection, it was loose. I tightened it up & everything worked right away, no indexing needed.

Thanks guys.

speedraider 03-20-2012 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by 60av8tor (Post 1578845602)
....and the winnners are:
EVRose and Klaus :)
I reset all the CBs and 'viola'.

Actually, we're all the 'winners' due to folks like ya'll willing to help out however/whenever.
Thanks !

What are CBs?

Vetteman1980 01-24-2017 08:53 PM

Yeah, what he said...what are CB's?

EVRose 01-24-2017 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Vetteman1980 (Post 1593942810)

He probably forgot what it means since it happened nearly 5 years ago. :ack:

z06clif 01-25-2017 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Vette_DD (Post 1578827415)
And the instructions shown above for resetting the window indexing are in the owner's manual.

Page 217

Clif

Corvette_Ed 01-25-2017 10:03 AM

Just a piece of advice. Modern cars do not like jump starts as they create power surges that can fry the internals of the many computer modules, of which the C6 has a ton. Tread carefully.

BRussell 01-25-2017 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Vetteman1980 (Post 1593942810)

Circuit breakers.