CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Brake squeal z51 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2936832-brake-squeal-z51.html)

jerlan1 10-23-2011 09:12 AM

Brake squeal z51

my first time on this site. Does anyone out there have experience with annoying brake squeal with Z51 susp drilled brake rotor pkg. Will ceramic pads correct this condition? Did not have problem on my 2005 with std brakes, my 2009 with Z51 brakes squeal all the time. Dealer handed me a printout from GM saying normal. Is there a fix?

C7&7 10-23-2011 10:06 AM

turn the rotors and switch to GM ceramic pads. they are low on dust and do not squeal.

LKicklight 10-23-2011 10:39 AM

Clean

Give them a good cleaning with a water hose...this will wash all the excess dust from around the calipers that builds up...should stop it for awhile, do it again later..when you wash it each time is good..

LTC Z06 10-23-2011 10:49 AM

If you don't want to change pads, a few repeated hard stops will clean the pads and rotors and stop the squeaking.

taken19 10-23-2011 11:01 AM

Z51 brake squeal is reported by many, seems to be unavoidable with the stock brakes. Sounds like there are a few methods to reduce or temporarily stop the noise, but it's bound to come back. I even took everything apart and applied Brake Quiet with no success.

I have noticed that after returning to my stock pads from Carbotech track pads (after a track event), the noise is almost completely gone. Not sure why that happened, but I'll take it!

Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com 10-23-2011 12:09 PM

The Carbotech 1521 compound has seem to be a very popaler fix for this.

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser, and has won multiple SCCA Solo 2 and Prosolo National Championships. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. Bobcat 1521™ compound has also been found to extend the life of your rotors 2-3 times. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

F $144 R $124 less 7% forum discount.

Wayne88 10-23-2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tim05C6Z51 (Post 1579031588)
turn the rotors and switch to GM ceramic pads. they are low on dust and do not squeal.

:iagree: I did, no squeal and no dust. :thumbs:

Gearhead Jim 10-23-2011 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tim05C6Z51 (Post 1579031588)

Originally Posted by Wayne88 (Post 1579032728)
:iagree: I did, no squeal and no dust. :thumbs:

We've also had a few posts by people who switched to the ceramics and still have squeal.

There are several things that usually help, but nothing that guarantees quiet brakes.

My Z51 brakes squeal occasionally, i do a couple of 60-10 hard decels but not into the ABS, drive for a while to let the brakes cool, and they are quiet for a few weeks/months. YMMV.

Joe_G 10-23-2011 01:28 PM

Stock pads squeal, very common.

Ceramic pads will cure it in my and many others experience. Plus no more brake dust. I've had my Advance Auto Parts store brand ceramics (cheap) on for 50000 miles now and still going strong.

Just don't try to do a road course with them. They will chunk and potentially fail. Great for street or drag racing use though.

SSTEVEGS 10-23-2011 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by LKicklight (Post 1579031833)
Give them a good cleaning with a water hose...this will wash all the excess dust from around the calipers that builds up...should stop it for awhile, do it again later..when you wash it each time is good..

This must work because mine have never squealed in 33,000 miles and I always rinse (strong water stream) my brake rotors and calipers at every wash...

dgrant3830 10-24-2011 08:52 AM

I just replaced mine with new OEM rotors and new ceramics all the way around. My left front started squealing following the replacement. So very annoying but only the one brake is doing it. I pulled it apart and went over it carefully and found nothing. Still squealed. Apart again, sanded the inside edges of both pads, back together, no squeal...so far.

Neumonic2002 10-24-2011 10:50 PM

This is a very interesting topic, I have had my car for about 2 1/2 years now (2006 M6 Z51) and have never had any brake noise. It is my DD that has around 46,000 miles now, my friend Bruce has a 06 or 07 Z51 Vert and he is constantly fighting brake noise?

Joe_G 10-25-2011 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002 (Post 1579046414)
This is a very interesting topic, I have had my car for about 2 1/2 years now (2006 M6 Z51) and have never had any brake noise. It is my DD that has around 46,000 miles now, my friend Bruce has a 06 or 07 Z51 Vert and he is constantly fighting brake noise?

I'd bet your previous owner swapped pads. Do you have horrible brake dust? If not, you've got ceramic pads. The stock pads dust like crazy.

05 pads were even more aggressive, they backed off the compound in the 06+ years due to customer complaints. There were TSB's about the 05's if I recall.

I put on ceramics a month into the ownership of the car and haven't looked back (or heard my brakes make any noise).

danieloneil01 10-25-2011 07:19 AM

I replaced mine with ceramic and it squeals like a piggy. Tried hard braking with no help. Annoying to say the least.

torquetube 10-25-2011 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by taken19 (Post 1579032001)
Z51 brake squeal is reported by many, seems to be unavoidable with the stock brakes.

Not mine. 94K miles and no squeal, ever. I'm on my second set of OEM rotors and pads. So they don't all do it.

Neumonic2002 10-25-2011 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Joe_G (Post 1579047534)
I'd bet your previous owner swapped pads. Do you have horrible brake dust? If not, you've got ceramic pads. The stock pads dust like crazy.

05 pads were even more aggressive, they backed off the compound in the 06+ years due to customer complaints. There were TSB's about the 05's if I recall.

I put on ceramics a month into the ownership of the car and haven't looked back (or heard my brakes make any noise).

They dust like crazy! I am finally down to about 20% left regarding pad life, only thing holding me back is whether I'm going to turn my original rotors, buy new GM pieces or go for an affordable after market set of rotors...
I already purchased the GM ceramic replacement pads, just waiting for the stockers to finish out their life.

el es tu 10-25-2011 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002 (Post 1579049810)
They dust like crazy! I am finally down to about 20% left regarding pad life, only thing holding me back is whether I'm going to turn my original rotors, buy new GM pieces or go for an affordable after market set of rotors...
I already purchased the GM ceramic replacement pads, just waiting for the stockers to finish out their life.

KNS brakes has very good deals on several types of rotors :thumbs:

Joe_G 10-25-2011 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002 (Post 1579049810)

If your rotors aren't cracked, you can just replace your pads and use your existing rotors. Nobody turns rotors anymore. 1 bolt and 5 minutes per brake using the two screwdriver trick. Takes longer to remove the wheel than swap the pads.

I did a write up and someone posted pictures on how to swap pads using the two screwdriver trick in case you don't know it.

Neumonic2002 10-25-2011 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by el es tu (Post 1579050036)
KNS brakes has very good deals on several types of rotors :thumbs:

Thanks, I will take a look!

Originally Posted by Joe_G (Post 1579050457)
If your rotors aren't cracked, you can just replace your pads and use your existing rotors. Nobody turns rotors anymore. 1 bolt and 5 minutes per brake using the two screwdriver trick. Takes longer to remove the wheel than swap the pads.

I did a write up and someone posted pictures on how to swap pads using the two screwdriver trick in case you don't know it.

I was looking over the rotors pretty closely this past Sunday while giving the car a bath, no cracks. Put a good beaten on them the Sunday before that, have you had a chance to cruise the back roads of MO around the wineries Joe? We had almost 30 miles of no traffic in front of us at one point and we pushed the cars pretty hard.
What a blast!

Joe_G 10-25-2011 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002 (Post 1579050535)
Thanks, I will take a look!

I was looking over the rotors pretty closely this past Sunday while giving the car a bath, no cracks. Put a good beaten on them the Sunday before that, have you had a chance to cruise the back roads of MO around the wineries Joe? We had almost 30 miles of no traffic in front of us at one point and we pushed the cars pretty hard.
What a blast!

They will live a very long time with street use, even twisty driving. I'm sure yours are fine. I did crack mine very slightly around the holes with my top speed runs (stopping from 185 MPH and rather quickly) combined with all the drag strip runs I've done.

I've got more miles on Highway 100 than I care to count. My grandpa used to have a house in Hermann growing up so I know the area really well. When I come to town I like to ride up to Hermann on my buddy's Harley (he has two and lends me one), or head out to Marthasville and up 47 to Augusta, etc. Great roads.

We don't have any roads like that in FL for sure. :( But we do have three road courses and drag strips within 150 miles from my house so I'm happy with that!:thumbs: Always a trade off.

I predict you'll love the ceramic pads. I love no dust and I can still activate the antilock so they stop well...they do take more pedal pressure but I'm fully capable of pushing the brake pedal.