CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Audio/Electronics (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/audio-electronics-20/)
-   -   Alternator whine with stereo off.......? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/audio-electronics/2936889-alternator-whine-with-stereo-off.html)

Kensmith 10-23-2011 11:10 AM

Alternator whine with stereo off.......?

With my stereo off, I get alternator whine. Any ideas why and how to fix? Thanks :thumbs:

Well, attached the GLI's to the RCA's at the AMP and no more whine!

kedar 10-23-2011 12:02 PM

Did you ground negative side of rca's to head unit? Did you install any ground loop isolators? Did you install an antenna isolator? Any of the preceding, or combination thereof, should resolve your problem.

Kensmith 10-23-2011 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by kedar (Post 1579032453)
Did you ground negative side of rca's to head unit? Did you install any ground loop isolators? Did you install an antenna isolator? Any of the preceding, or combination thereof, should resolve your problem.

So even with the stereo off I need GLI's on all the RCA's? I didn't think with power off I would get alternator whine. I do know the installer ran the RCA's close to the main power junction block at the rear of the center console.

pentavolvo 10-23-2011 12:17 PM

ummm turn stereo on, leave volume down... idk just shootin in dark

prly need a better ground on amp or GLI's

Kensmith 10-23-2011 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by pentavolvo (Post 1579032553)
ummm turn stereo on, leave volume down... idk just shootin in dark

prly need a better ground on amp or GLI's

I'll try the GLI's and see what happens. Thanks! :thumbs:

Kale 10-23-2011 02:00 PM

rcas near crossovers?

Kensmith 10-23-2011 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kale (Post 1579033241)
rcas near crossovers?

No, crossovers are in the doors. RCA's are down the center console. :thumbs:

EVRose 10-23-2011 02:58 PM

I had noise with the stereo off. GLI eliminated all of it.

Kensmith 10-23-2011 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by EVRose (Post 1579033543)
I had noise with the stereo off. GLI eliminated all of it.

Did you ground the GLI's? If so, where did you ground them? Thanks :thumbs:

kedar 10-23-2011 03:30 PM

I successfully eliminated all whine from my system by grounding the interconnects to the chassis of the head unit and by adding an antenna isolator (with adapters). No whine and no need for a ground loop isolator!

If you have access to the back of your head unit and if you have some wire, try grounding the interconnects. You may not need the GLI.

Kensmith 10-23-2011 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by kedar (Post 1579033760)
I successfully eliminated all whine from my system by grounding the interconnects to the chassis of the head unit and by adding an antenna isolator (with adapters). No whine and no need for a ground loop isolator!

If you have access to the back of your head unit and if you have some wire, try grounding the interconnects. You may not need the GLI.

I'll try the ground loops first as I don't want to pull my head unit out. If they GLI's don't work, I will have the installer pull the head unit.

Kensmith 10-23-2011 04:10 PM

I attached the 2 GLI's to the RCA's at the AMP and no more whine. :D Did not have to ground the GLI's.

kedar 10-23-2011 07:36 PM

Did the GLIs negatively impact your sound quality?

Congrats on completing your install.

Kensmith 10-23-2011 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by kedar (Post 1579035589)
Did the GLIs negatively impact your sound quality?

Congrats on completing your install.

No, why would they?

kedar 10-23-2011 07:56 PM

That's what can happen when one uses a GLI. Some people are adamant that they do not degrade sound quality. Ohers confess that they do degrade sound quality, but that they are a necessary evil.

I tried three different GLIs and found that they all degraded sound quality to some extent (some more than others). The last one I tried was the best, but I was able to resolve my whine issue without them so I refrained from making them a part of my install.

Kensmith 10-23-2011 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by kedar (Post 1579035736)
That's what can happen when one uses a GLI. Some people are adamant that they do not degrade sound quality. Ohers confess that they do degrade sound quality, but that they are a necessary evil.

I tried three different GLIs and found that they all degraded sound quality to some extent (some more than others). The last one I tried was the best, but I was able to resolve my whine issue without them so I refrained from making them a part of my install.

Ok, so now I am going to do a test tomorrow to make sure the GLI's are not degrading my sound. I will listen to the music with and without the GLI's with the motor not running and using the same songs from the same CD. I'll post my results for those interested and also post the Brand name of the GLI's I used for others with this issue. :thumbs:

kedar 10-24-2011 12:06 AM

of the three GLIs that i tried on my system, the best one was a PAC SNI1 Noise Isolator. the worst one was from Radio Shack. the one that i bought from a local car audio install shop (i forgot brand name and that GLI is currently in storage) was not much better than the one from Radio Shack.

another thing you can try is to press the voice control button on the steering wheel and ask for help (or whatever the command is) to get the car to talk to you. this will give you a consistent sound that you can compare.

with the really bad GLIs, i also found it was near impossible to hold a conversation using blue tooth... the distorted poor sound quality from the speakers drove me nuts.

please post your results.

Kensmith 10-24-2011 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by kedar (Post 1579037838)
of the three GLIs that i tried on my system, the best one was a PAC SNI1 Noise Isolator. the worst one was from Radio Shack. the one that i bought from a local car audio install shop (i forgot brand name and that GLI is currently in storage) was not much better than the one from Radio Shack.

another thing you can try is to press the voice control button on the steering wheel and ask for help (or whatever the command is) to get the car to talk to you. this will give you a consistent sound that you can compare.

with the really bad GLIs, i also found it was near impossible to hold a conversation using blue tooth... the distorted poor sound quality from the speakers drove me nuts.

please post your results.

The GLI's I have are the PAC SNI-1. I can't remember who posted these were the best, may have been you. I will post the test results tomorrow. :thumbs:

kedar 10-24-2011 12:43 AM

In my detailed install thread I did mention that I thought those were the best, but this place is a knowledge base that builds upon itself.

I found very little, if any, degradation in sound quality using the PAC SNI1, but decided against using that GLI as a part of my install because I could eliminate the whine / squeal without them.

GLIs are considered a last resort and a band aid. The vette has a strong proclivity for whine so GLIs are commonly used.

If at all possible, you should avoid using a GLI.

Kensmith 10-24-2011 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by kedar (Post 1579033760)

Do you have any pics of this grounding the interconnects? I am not good with stereo or electrical. I do have the stock Bose NAV head unit and using the addgm24 harness. Thanks:thumbs: