CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] 2008 Z06 with ZR1 x-pipe and mufflers (with videos) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2944566-2008-z06-with-zr1-x-pipe-and-mufflers-with-videos.html)

TX SS 11-05-2011 05:55 PM

2008 Z06 with ZR1 x-pipe and mufflers (with videos)

I know there are various posts on here about switching over from the Z06 h-pipe and mufflers to the ZR1 x-pipe and mufflers but thought I'd share my experience and thoughts for others considering the swap. I picked up the ZR1 pieces from a 2011 ZR1 owner that switched to the Akrapovic setup. My car is a 2008 and is for the most part stock. I do have the mild to wild controller as I like being able to control whether the valves are open or not. The Z06 h-pipe and mufflers I removed were OEM stock.

To my ears the car is louder and has a different tone with the ZR1 x-pipe and mufflers with valves open than it had with the Z06 h-pipe and mufflers with valves open. And, to my ears, the car is quieter with the ZR1 pieces with valves closed than the Z06 pieces with valves closed. The question usually comes up about the popping sound on deceleration. I think the ZR1 setup pops as much or more than the Z06 setup did. Again, these are all my opinions based on what I hear on my car.

I can't compare the sound of the ZR1 pieces to the Z06 muffler mod as I've never had or heard that setup in person.

If you can find the ZR1 or late model Z06 pieces used at a fair price I say go for it. I'm happy with the outcome, but that is partially driven by the price I paid. If I had paid new GM price the louder/quieter discussion above would still apply, but don't think I would feel it was worth the money. Again, my 2 cents.

I've included a short video of the car at start up and swapping between valves open and closed, and another with a few light revs with valves open and closed.

MarkRx 11-05-2011 07:01 PM

cool, see i knew there were more people out there that have done this mod. I sold my Z recently to a forum member and left the zr1 mufflers on the car. i did however keep the zr1 x-pipe and it's for sale (local pickup in austin texas). i agree with everything you said in this post. if i were to pay retail on the mufflers and x pipe it wouldn't be worth it. but i got a good deal on the parts. the word "drone" is very opinionated. i was looking for the car to be whisper quiet in quiet mode, and louder than the stock z06 mufflers with the valves open. the muffler mod didnt do it for me but the zr1 mufflers did. it shaped the sound just enough to suit my taste buds. people that dont like the drone with the valves open should prob just keep them closed all the time. while i was doing the muffler swap, i drove the car with no mufflers at all, THAT's drone lol. each muffler/midpipe combo has a slightly different resonate tone. I miss my Z06, but i see another one on the radar in the future. :)

sublime1996525 11-05-2011 07:58 PM

Your car sounds good. I'm on the fence between this and the muffler mod. I know I don't want to lose the gurgle on decel though. I need to find someone local that's done these.

MarkRx 11-06-2011 04:07 AM

before i sold my car i removed the x pipe and installed the h, they both gurgle on decel. if anything the x smooths out the exhaust flow a little better and increases hp but not by much. there's a reason why ZGM switched all the 2011+ z06's to the x pipe and zr1 mufflers.

MTPZ06 11-06-2011 03:28 PM

I've read that this swap is actually worth some rwhp as well...~10hp IIRC.