CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   63 AM/FM radio repair question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2946039-63-am-fm-radio-repair-question.html)

rdc 11-08-2011 09:20 AM

63 AM/FM radio repair question

The AM/FM radio in my '63 makes a loud scratching sound when powering on or adjusting the volume knob. Can anyone suggest a repair service?

Also, does the glove box need to come out in order to remove the radio?

TIA

67's 11-08-2011 09:26 AM

Jerry Rudbeck
www.electrodesign.us

No the glovebox does not need to come out.

ratmotortom 11-08-2011 09:30 AM

Todds Electronics in MO always have an ad in the NCRS Driveline. Been doing repairs for over 50 years on Delco radios.

314-277-9333 or 636-926-2267

Bill Lacy 11-08-2011 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by rdc (Post 1579163485)
The AM/FM radio in my '63 makes a loud scratching sound when powering on or adjusting the volume knob. Can anyone suggest a repair service?

Also, does the glove box need to come out in order to remove the radio?

TIA

More than likely it needs a new volume control:ack:
No you do not need to remove the glove box. Just the 2 radio side panels. For some reason the radio seems to come out the drivers side easier or at least it's that way for me:D

Bill Lacy 11-08-2011 09:33 AM

:iagree:

Originally Posted by ratmotortom (Post 1579163559)
Todds Electronics in MO always have an ad in the NCRS Driveline. Been doing repairs for over 50 years on Delco radios.

314-277-9333 or 636-926-2267

:iagree::iagree:
Todd is who I use.:thumbs:

rdc 11-08-2011 10:14 AM

Thanks for the replies!

jim lockwood 11-08-2011 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by rdc (Post 1579163485)

You can fix this yourself if you are at all handy. Buy a product called "Dexoit" (see Deoxit link) and carefully spray some on the wiper area inside the volume control.

You might have to remove the radio to gain physical access to the volume control, but you can almost certainly save the cost of a repair bill if you will do this yourself.

Jim

65GGvert 11-08-2011 12:29 PM

It's caused by dust or corrosion on the wiper of the volume control. It has an opening just behind where the wires attach to the volume portion of the control. Spray some contact or tuner cleaner into that opening and move the volume up and down rapidly to clean the contacts. You can also disconnect the battery and run the volume up and down multiple times and get it much quieter, but not as good as using cleaner. A little spray will do you.

rdc 11-08-2011 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by 65GGvert (Post 1579164965)
It's caused by dust or corrosion on the wiper of the volume control. It has an opening just behind where the wires attach to the volume portion of the control. Spray some contact or tuner cleaner into that opening and move the volume up and down rapidly to clean the contacts. You can also disconnect the battery and run the volume up and down multiple times and get it much quieter, but not as good as using cleaner. A little spray will do you.

To my surprise, turning on and off plus running the volume up and down multiple times was a quick fix! I will take the time at a later date (good rainy Saturday project) to pull the radio and spray contact cleaner on the wiper area.

You saved me about $200! Where do I send your commission? :o

65GGvert 11-08-2011 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by rdc (Post 1579167644)
To my surprise, turning on and off plus running the volume up and down multiple times was a quick fix! I will take the time at a later date (good rainy Saturday project) to pull the radio and spray contact cleaner on the wiper area.

I don't know why I said disconnect the battery. Turning the key off would be fine. I'm glad it helped. The more you use it, the better it will work. That's my theory on lots of things.

cookie_monster 11-08-2011 08:19 PM

Holy crap...you guys are great!! I had the same problem - took 10 seconds and now my radio is fixed! Thanks for the advice!!:cheers:

63atlast 11-08-2011 08:45 PM

Glad you got it working. If you ever do need a radio repair there is a guy in Chattanooga, TN that I have used a couple of times. Does excellent work, reasonably quick turn around, reasonable prices. He has the AM/FM out of my '63 right now. Gene Edwards (423) 877-9910. Good luck.

Roger

rdc 11-09-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by 63atlast (Post 1579169193)
Glad you got it working. If you ever do need a radio repair there is a guy in Chattanooga, TN that I have used a couple of times. Does excellent work, reasonably quick turn around, reasonable prices. He has the AM/FM out of my '63 right now. Gene Edwards (423) 877-9910. Good luck.

Roger

Roger,

Thanks for the info. From the phone number, sounds like Gene is in the Hixson area...I'm originally from Chattanooga and visit often (now in Mt. Juliet).

Dennis

abe g 11-09-2011 01:05 PM

radio noise (volume control)

I have posted good results solving problem on my 63 swc with am radio. Volume control noIsy on opening radio, volume increases, etc. Pull off the volume shaft knob.Turn on radio, with a small hammer, give the end of the volume shaft a sharp rap . This caused control to work properly. Probably a poor ground.NO RESPONSIBILITY ON MY PART ! Confirmed works by several members. Regards, Abe G